Power transistor help

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Sending shit out for stripping and re-anodizing is expensive and a waste of time. You can buy new ones and if you are using a new face plate.... Your set. If you are using old face plate and it's not perfect, and your handles are not either, who cares. Some guys like the patina and I have sold many amps in original condition.
those are called sleepers....lol

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Skip all the work. You can order any size and material/style ferrules you need here. I even have my handles custom made here and the price is right. plus, you don't have the look of drawer pulls and closet door handles some have used. I have bags of these things.

Take your time and peruse this link. I have been doing business here for years. Have calipers, will travel.........

https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110300521530/?searchFlow=results2products&KWSearch=handle
DAYAM...love that link..

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
DAYAM...love that link..
Lee, I've outfitted many of amps with these. I did have issues with finding the correct spacing for 700B/Clair Brothers since they used the same spacing. But they are really nice. Painted, or anodized, chrome, polished, satin or raw is the order of the day. That was the reason we had 700B handles CNC'd for us, I didn't find suitable handles with the spacing and style.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe,

I already boxed up my backplane boards for shipment to your shop. In my excitement, I did not identifie myself inside of the box. Hopefully you were not expecting backplane boards from a bunch of people this week. Feel free to use my boards as a before and after on this forum, so others can learn from my mistakes. Also, I had installed the first roll of transistors, are the sil pads reusable?
Hi Gary
Did you ever ship these? I have been looking out for them to arrive every day...

Joe

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I've had Phase Linear before!
Your shipment
1ZRV33500383220612

Estimated delivery
Tomorrow, December 23 by 9:00 P.M.

Joe,
I've shipped these 12/13/22. Guess they got slowed up in the Christmas rush. Everyone have a good and safe Christmas!!!!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Merry Christmas Gary and Happy New Year
I worked on your backplanes today, a before and after picture.
IMG_6354.JPG

All the PEMnuts pulled down fine, removed a ton of excess solder with Soder-Wick. Word of advice to backplane builders on amount of solder around the PEMnuts, use it sparingly. You should see the vertical sidewall of the PEMs after the solder process is complete with a nicely radiused meniscus around the base of each nut where it adheres to the pad. It is not "the bigger the blob, the better the job" that applies here.

Each PEM had the excess solder removed from the top of each PEMnut so you will have a clean interface with the nylon washers.

I also will be replacing some of the 22AWG interconnect wires as the insulation is nicked. A word to builders, do not use automatic strippers on Teflon wire or this nicking will result. Use sharp Ideal Industries T-strippers for Teflon wire.

IMG_6355.JPG IMG_6357.JPG

I will be wrapping these up, cleaning well and shipping them back to you.

Joe

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I've had Phase Linear before!
Joe,
I did not think of you working through Christmas on my boards, of which I thank you!!! I’m glad you were also able to use these boards as a teaching lesson for others. After I get this 400 fired up, I have another one waiting to be upgraded. This is so relaxing to me in my evenings. Again many thanks, and everyone “Happy New Year!”

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Gary

All PEMnuts fixed, excess solder removed.
All nicked wires replaced, solder touched up.
All excess solder removed from component joints
All lead lengths trimmed short.
All PEMnut threads chased.
Cleaned, cleaned, cleaned...

Will box up and get on their way back to you.
Joe
IMG_6365.JPG IMG_6366.JPG IMG_6367.JPG IMG_6368.JPG IMG_6369.JPG IMG_6370.JPG

Last edited: