Power transistor help

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thank you for the fast response. I used Joes back plane boards, so yes, I have changed both Bias Transistors, but i used NTE192 instead of 2N5088. His new boards accept both transistors? I have a spare which I'll replace tomorrow, and then report back to all.
Huh???

I have NO instructions to my knowledge about the use of NTE192 transistors. They require special handling to install correctly. You should post pictures of what you did Gary. The NTE192 devices install differently than you might think. Is there a reason that you went this route instead of using the transistors provided in the kit?

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
I've had Phase Linear before!
Joe,
Your new boards I just assembled, show the use of either the 2N5088 or the NTE192 silk screened on the front or so I thought. The reason I used a NTE192, is because its already mounted in own clip. I mounted it upside down, replaced the 1/4" threaded spacer with a 1/3" threaded spacer. Set both Bias to .350. When I get home tonight, I'll pull those out and install the supplied transistors.

Attachments

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
Joe,
Your new boards I just assembled, show the use of either the 2N5088 or the NTE192 silk screened on the front or so I thought. The reason I used a NTE192, is because its already mounted in own clip. I mounted it upside down, replaced the 1/4" threaded spacer with a 1/3" threaded spacer. Set both Bias to .350. When I get home tonight, I'll pull those out and install the supplied transistors.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Gary, I thought I had responded that the NTE 192 was planned for but I had not done anything yet to qualify it. It was simply a plan ahead, which I do all the time, for a day when the 2N5088 may no longer be available.

gary33030

Journeyman
Tagline
All,

I now have 2 Phase Linears 400 WOPLed under my belt. Everyone says you'll get hooked on this Hobbie. Correct! I have a Carver c-500 to start next.
Looks very similar to the inside of PL400. Does anyone mind if I start on this amp with the same help from everyone? Do I continual with this thread or start new thread?
Gary