Pocket Watch Movement

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
18056FA8-1464-4964-BA25-1495123D8EBD.jpeg

#is the balance wheel- it needs jewels (2), but these are capped jewels, so the “count” rises to (4).

#3 is the pallet fork and escape wheel. Those need jewels (4)

#2 is the going train. These can all be jeweled (6); but as you move away from the escape wheel the speed reduces and load increases. Bushings become common, and are quite typical on the mainspring barrel arbor.

So, even a “fully jeweled” movement is not going to have a lot of jeweled pivots. 14 if you count the cap jewels. 16 if you count the pallet stones too. MAYBE there are movements where the mainspring barrel arbor is jeweled, but I would expect a lot of breakage in that location due to the torque.

Note the typical red jewels are Ruby, but older watches (such as one of mine) actually use white sapphire jewels.

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
In the United States, Flag Day is celebrated on June 14. It commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States on June 14, 1777, by resolution of the Second Continental Congress.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
In the United States, Flag Day is celebrated on June 14. It commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States on June 14, 1777, by resolution of the Second Continental Congress.

HUH????????????????????????? And that has what to do with a watch????

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Perhaps the running seconds pinion rides in jewels. But that’s just another two… I’m curious where the heck they are now!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
And the Hamilton, which was last overhauled in the 90’s, yet still runs fine today. The Waltham needs a mainspring or something because it’s not running now, despite a more recent overhaul…

6665AA25-A064-4532-A8AB-19876163BC7A.jpeg 1FE882FB-1E50-40D8-B24A-E8A133823019.jpeg BC68F2A7-71DD-424E-82DD-0AC5FA6A35A4.jpeg
This has a 17 jewel movement.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Can't wait to see the Rolex/Folex. I couldn't get it open and the crystal is toast to the point you can hardly see any of the face. I got a pile of old watches (and a few newer ones) I should do something with. Even the Ren & Stimpy watch should be resurrected. Maybe this winter I'll get some new bands and have them cleaned and the ones which take batteries, replace them. I want a Hamilton 950B or a 992 railroad watch.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
If the Folex/Rolex is real, I can replace the crystal for you. I have the proper bezel removal tool, and I'll make a press die to put it back, because the plastic ones I bought are crap. I've already made three or four metal replacements for different men's watches.

The plastic dies have a brass threaded insert in the middle. That comes lose in the press and puts a circle scar right in the center of the new crystal. Rolex men's crystals (OEM ones) can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars each. Sub-optimal situation...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I'll post so we're all on the same page.

I have my case dies here in work now, so once it arrives (assuming I have time) I can get into it.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Can't wait to see the Rolex/Folex. I couldn't get it open and the crystal is toast to the point you can hardly see any of the face. I got a pile of old watches (and a few newer ones) I should do something with. Even the Ren & Stimpy watch should be resurrected. Maybe this winter I'll get some new bands and have them cleaned and the ones which take batteries, replace them. I want a Hamilton 950B or a 992 railroad watch.
Especially the Ren & Stimpy watch!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Yes, and that looks to be one very nice Sub below.
Thats a 1978 Tudor Sub. The lume fell out of the seconds hand and I need to reinstall it. I do have an early 70’s Rolex Sub (1680) as well. Also lost the lume from the seconds hand… and a 1967 sub (5512) that also lost the lume. I don’t I seat and the problem, but it’s annoying. I’d you don’t replace the piece it disintegrates to dust and gets in the movement.

I have a 1976 one as wel, with a blue dial that I’ve been collecting parts for, but prices are too high on the rare blue parts to do anything.