Pocket Watch Movement

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I've never done it, but I think a battery charger and an electrolyte solution bath would do it.

You could first reverse plate the existing gold off, polish/refine the case underneath, and then re-plate it.

I'm not sure what base metal they used at Omega for plating back then... Modern gold Omega watches are solid, like Rolex always has been.
Jim, what's it take to disassemble this Omega? I found this place that does nothing but replating watch cases but you have to disassemble the watch and send them nothing but the case and the back. The back is off but I never took one apart before.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Once the back is off you should be able to release the winding stem. I don't recall exactly the method on the early Omega movement, but I think you press a specific location while the stem is fully inserted and then you can draw it out carefully.

Then remove the two movement clamp screws and clamps that hold the movement to the case. Not all models use clamps- it could just be a slip fit, or use a tension washer on the back side.

Then flip the watch over onto a decasing pad and lift off the case.

You will need to remove the crown tube (pressed in on those watches I believe) and the crystal. A retaining ring / bezel remover is sometimes needed to get the crystal ring off then the crystal will come off. Or, it may be an internally set crystal, which is easiest to remove with a bulb- put the back on with the gasket (or a new one since it's probably shot) and pressurize the stem hole to pop the old crystal out.

It should probably be disassembled by a local watchmaker. Then have them overhaul the movement while you send the case off. Once the case is done the movement should be ready and you can sell a restored watch. (Watchmaker may even be interested in buying it once the case is restored, or may buy it as-is)

You should find an original crystal (it has an Omega symbol in the very center), and original crown if that is damaged. New gaskets of course but the watchmaker should be able to sort that out easily enough. Don't fit aftermarket parts, especially external that can easily be checked.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I finally got my watch in one piece and I have to give Jim a BIG SHOUT OUT for getting it presentable. I hade somebody polish it local and it's probably Over-Polished but it had some pretty big scratches in it from 1967 to present. I think it turned out killer. I put a new aftermarket band (Tobacco Buffalo Grain) on it and I had scored a NOS Omega branded crystal which Jim installed. He cleaned and lubed it, and checked the time keeping capability of it which was off by about a minute a day and he got it to within a couple seconds a day now. He got me so excited that I sent my 2 other Bulova's in for restoration at the Bulova repair facility. HATS OFF TO JIM!!!!

Keep your eye out for a NOS 166.002 Omega case. I'd like a nicer one but this will do if I decide to wear it. Jim had me scratching my head when I pulled it out of the package. The crystal had a black smudge and little tiny bubbles in it....... I finally fingered out it was the vinyl crystal protector on it. I pulled it off and BAMMMMM, it was perfect. Thanks Jim, I owe ya.....

Geneve Seamaster 1 (960 x 1280).jpg Geneve Seamaster 2 (960 x 1280).jpg Geneve Seamaster 3 (960 x 1280).jpg

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’m glad you like it!

The black mark is so I can tell where 12 is without a loupe. I mark the vinyl and the align it before pressing it in.

No point allowing a scratch so I leave the film on.

The case has a few scratches but I put a little shine on it with a polishing cloth. Just took the oxide off to bling it up a bit.

I didn’t clean the dial (too dangerous) but I took some skudge off the indicies and omega symbol on the dial. Also cleaned the hands a bit.

Looks quite spiffy now!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I’m glad you like it!

The black mark is so I can tell where 12 is without a loupe. I mark the vinyl and the align it before pressing it in.

No point allowing a scratch so I leave the film on.

The case has a few scratches but I put a little shine on it with a polishing cloth. Just took the oxide off to bling it up a bit.

I didn’t clean the dial (too dangerous) but I took some skudge off the indicies and omega symbol on the dial. Also cleaned the hands a bit.

Looks quite spiffy now!

YEP, she's a beauty. Thanks

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Good to see you here Perry...

Got a bunch of projects done around the house, been keeping me busy. Built new foor to ceiling cabinets for the laundry room/primed/painted, installed a Pentair Whole house water softener/filter system. It was brand new with all the installation parts (well over 3 grand installed), I got it for free. Disinfected the well to prep for install, and a bunch of other stuff. Working on that Melos Tube Preamp, and then, when finished, I'm gonna need me a pile of WOPL parts. This 700 II is bugging me just sitting in the corner waiting for me to attack it.

I also am going to gut the family room, insulate it, sheet rock it, then doing a built in to hold the stereo equipment. Too much shit, too little time.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Got a bunch of projects done around the house, been keeping me busy. Built new foor to ceiling cabinets for the laundry room/primed/painted, installed a Pentair Whole house water softener/filter system. It was brand new with all the installation parts (well over 3 grand installed), I got it for free. Disinfected the well to prep for install, and a bunch of other stuff. Working on that Melos Tube Preamp, and then, when finished, I'm gonna need me a pile of WOPL parts. This 700 II is bugging me just sitting in the corner waiting for me to attack it.

I also am going to gut the family room, insulate it, sheet rock it, then doing a built in to hold the stereo equipment. Too much shit, too little time.
That is a great update Perry, you have been busy, as usual. I hear you about too little time...seems every year it gets worse. Us seniors are supposed to be dialing it back but it never seems that way.