PL 71 In For Service.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Some of you may remember the thread I had started here.

After the work depicted in that thread, It still wont hold a stable speed. So I have dropped the PL off to my tech, wishful thinking leaves me hoping its simply caps, which seems to be common. If that is the case and everything goes well, I should have it back in a couple weeks. My trusty SL 220 will be leaving the system and going to my brother once repairs are completed.

Edit: After reading that old thread, I noticed I stated that Immediately after the micro switches I would have the caps replaced. I guess I didnt account for some delays and heavy season of fishing this summer.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Man, I should have followed the updates on your Pioneer PL-71 more closely, and held you accountable, Ben. Hold it... you said fishing pre-empted audio repairs. That's a good enough reason for me. Still, it will be nice to see that classic working properly again.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Absolutely Nando, Its been a long time coming. And yes, next time... hold me more accountable. :laughing9: Will be very nice to finally see it back up and running again.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Heard back from my tech today... He said the table needs a variable resistor controller? As well as a new motor. I dont think the motor is shot as a lot of these seem to need caps replaced on the motor. Anyone have any insight to the variable resistor controller. Im not even sure what he's talking about. As well he cannot track down any of them. Wondering where to go from here.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I wonder if there is something I could use as a replacement for that part. Im not convinced that is the issue, but, im no tech.

NavLinear

Did you get a SM for this guy? There may be a part number listed that could be crossed referenced if the original component is no longer available.

I noticed looking at a photograph of a PL 71 that there are two speed control dials - one for 45 RPM and the other for 33 RPM. If it is a speed control issue you'll want to know which one is defective. If the same potentiometer is used for both speeds this could aid in troubleshooting. I'd agree with you that the caps would be a weaker link and could cause motor regulation problems. I never thought about an external speed control.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Did you get a SM for this guy? There may be a part number listed that could be crossed referenced if the original component is no longer available.

I noticed looking at a photograph of a PL 71 that there are two speed control dials - one for 45 RPM and the other for 33 RPM. If it is a speed control issue you'll want to know which one is defective. If the same potentiometer is used for both speeds this could aid in troubleshooting. I'd agree with you that the caps would be a weaker link and could cause motor regulation problems. I never thought about an external speed control.
Dont have an SM, although I should probably dig around the net for one. Are you suggesting that, if I replace one pot, I should also replace the other? I have never read any reports of anyone needing to replace the pots in them. The micro switches... yes, but nothing about the pots. That's not to say that its never been done. If you are asking if one pot controls both speeds, no, they each have a pot.

NavLinear

Hey Ben. If the pot is defective and both of the speed control pots are the same it would allow you to move wires to verify that nothing else is wrong. I would clean them first. A micro switch failure is more likely as you suggested.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Deox the pots. I would get it back before spending a lot of money. Like this. http://www.musichallaudio.com/detail.php?p=84
Totally agree about deox on the pots, and follow up with FaderLube.
My PL-71 had the same issues and on mine, the primary troublemaker was the microswitches. They measured all over the map, from a couple of ohms upwards to a thousand or so.
Replacing those switches, deox and faderlube to the pots, and replacing the electrolytics stabilized it. It did still speed up a bit after the first few minutes of play, but that improved the more I used it.
They are good tables, and really look nice too.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Well, I spoke to the tech today. After some discussion he came to the conclusion that the motor is not worth fixing(or at least not worth his time) and flat out told me he would not replace the caps on the motor. Even after I explained to him that this was a common issue on these motors. In his words he stated he did not want to do the work in case it made no difference, even though I asked him to simply replace the caps. He claimed that because the voltage was not being output right the only way to fix the table was replace the motor. So I told him I would be in to pick the table up.

This is the second piece of equipment I have brought to them only to have them basically claim that issues were caused by NLA parts. At this point I think they are simply taking my estimate fee which they charge upon dropping gear off to them.

Ive heard of another electronics repair place in town, I may stop in to see them later this week.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
That would be the last time I went to that guy...Sometimes ya just gotta shake your head and walk away.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Exactly how I feel. Sad thing is, this place is a well know (last standing) stereo shop in town. This will be my last piece of equipment to visit Kawartha TV and Stereo.

Im already looking down a few other avenues.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's unfortunate news, Ben. If you removed the motor, I wonder if any of the techs, here, could help you out by repairing it?

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
That is something I have already been contemplating Nando. I have a couple more options to explore before it has to come to that.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Bubba, I would think that on this forum, collectively, we could fix anything, broken hearts and cracks of dawn notwithstanding....