PL 71 In For Service.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
No problem, Sir! As I recall, the top of the cylinder has a little round cap that will come off and allow you to fill that way. Just fill it up and the excess will come out of the little breather hole when you cycle the arm. You do have to be careful because the round cap on top will want to pop off until the fluid level is stable. I don't know if I did this the right way, but I couldn't find any advice or documentation anywhere to help me. Good luck!
I couldnt find any info about that procedure myself. I even asked a few people I thought might know how, even they werent sure.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I couldnt find any info about that procedure myself. I even asked a few people I thought might know how, even they werent sure.
One more thing...the little set screw on the left side that holds the cylinder in place...be careful, don't overtighten it. I stripped mine out. Hint: a 4/40 screw will self tap itself into the hole if you do screw up. Don't ask how I know this...:confused2:

Tagline
---
my 530 could use some attention in regards to this, if I prime it by cueing the arm up and then down its ok but on auto it just barely clears the record. I noticed a bit of oil residue on the lift mech.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Ben, did you get the cueing fixed??
No, the cueing arm still has no resistance at all. I just do it gently so the arm doesnt drop so hard on the vinyl. Works fine, but takes some getting used to.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I prefer head shells with long lifts or flexible ones so I can get ahold and put it down carefully if I have to. I did a lot of backcueing to go back 1 revolution and make as clean of a start as I could because there was no editing software in the 80s and I always taped, especially my new singles that I put in compilation tapes one after the other as soon as I got them. I prided myself in having recordings that were as free of empty groove noise and sounded as close to factory cassette dubs as I could possibly manage with a clearance $120 direct drive Realistic Lab/Technics clone.

I took the tapes with my when I had my first Panasonic Stereo To Go and other portables, right through 2006 with my cars. I never got through much more than a C90 or so before the Panansonic had eaten the batteries though...it had chrome and metal EQ at least but it was really a press recorder chassis they fitted for stereo playback, we're talking 1982 and as such it was quite durable.

FOUR AAs.

Last edited: