PL 700 Caps - Group Buy

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Not yet. It's looking like mid January before the order goes in. I'll get in contact with DK the week of the 6th and place the order the following week.

I'm not sure what to ask for shipping yet as the caps won't fit in the small USPS flat rate box. I have small shipping boxes and access to bubble wrap but my guess is five to ten dollars per CONUS shipment. Any inputs regarding shipping?

I use PayPal when ordering online but have never used it to accept funds. It seems that there is a fee associated with receiving funds unless the money is gifted. The fee is than paid by the sender. PayPal has this one figured out don't they.
Can you pull the trigger sooner? We have the lead time to sort all these details out.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
When you guys are measuring the DC voltage are you checking the AC input? These measurements are only valid if done at the same line voltage. I believe the PL20 board calls out 117VAC and the PC14 120VAC. Also the measurements should stipulate whether or not the amp is under load.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yeah Don most of the time we are. On the caps Jer had some 100 volt Adcoms(CDE's) give up the host in a 700, so the recent push on PS caps has been to a higher more reliable voltage rating.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I looked at the data sheet for the caps under consideration. I have pasted the information relating to horizontal mounting below. I don't think it should be an issue here but it is something to consider.

For a screw terminal type capacitor, tightening the terminal
screws and the mounting clamp should be within the
maximum torque specified in the catalogs or product specifi
-
cations. Do not mount a screw terminal type capacitor with
the terminals facing downward. Also, if the body of a capaci
-
tor is installed horizontally such as being laid on its side, do
not position the pressure relief vent downward

The full data sheet is worth reading. Here's the link.

http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog/pdf/al-e/al-sepa-e/001-guide/al-precaution-e-130701.pdf

At work we mount some caps horizontal. The caps we used several years ago were smaller than the can. The can was potted with a tar like substance to fill up the void. Without the tar the electrolyte would drain to the bottom of the can resulting in an open capacitor in a matter of a few days. End users would occasionally source replacements from other vendors and then wonder why the systems failed.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Yeah Don most of the time we are. On the caps Jer had some 100 volt Adcoms(CDE's) give up the host in a 700, so the recent push on PS caps has been to a higher more reliable voltage rating.
I just put the Adcoms in two 700B's. I had them on the bench for a week forming at 103VDC with a current limiting resistor. Lasted two days. Amps were in a rack, 4 high. top one blew and spewed electrolyte down into the ones below it. The amps will be coming back soon for evaluation.

I probably should have known better. I saw the post about the one failure and figured it was an infantile failure. From experience I'm well aware that todays caps are much tighter than the ones from yesteryear. Leakage current was about 8ma at 103VDC. Should have been less than 5ma.

Fortunately no one got hurt.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
I better jump on the group buy. Just in case I want to full boar my stock B's down the road when funds become more available. Count me in for 4 also.

-David

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I just put the Adcoms in two 700B's. I had them on the bench for a week forming at 103VDC with a current limiting resistor. Lasted two days. Amps were in a rack, 4 high. top one blew and spewed electrolyte down into the ones below it. The amps will be coming back soon for evaluation.

I probably should have known better. I saw the post about the one failure and figured it was an infantile failure. From experience I'm well aware that todays caps are much tighter than the ones from yesteryear. Leakage current was about 8ma at 103VDC. Should have been less than 5ma.

Fortunately no one got hurt.
Good no one was hurt or a fire ensued.

Don, that 5mA is the cap manufacturers covering their butt in the spec. Good caps will be less than 50 MICRO amps, not milliamps. Anything in the 5mA range at rated voltage is a volcano waiting to erupt.

They could be not genuine too...

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Final Day to order.

Here is the list as it stands today:

Gepetto: Ten
laatsch55: Ten
jbeckva: Four
premiumplus: Four
BMWR75: Two
NavLinear: Two
fitz43: Two
RainDog911: Two
Phase Linear Phanatic: Four

It looks like the order will be placed this week. If anyone else is interested you best get your order in today - no guarantees if you miss today's boat. The cost will be approximately $30.00 per cap plus $11.50 shipping. I'll provide more details once the order is placed.

Last edited:

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
Here is the list as it stands today:

Gepetto: Six
laatsch55: Ten
jbeckva: Four
premiumplus: Four
BMWR75: Two
NavLinear: Two
fitz43: Two
RainDog911: Two

It looks like the order will be placed this week. If anyone else is interested you best get your order in today - no guarantees if you miss today's boat. The cost will be approximately $30.00 per cap plus $11.50 shipping. I'll provide more details once the order is placed.
I see a post in this thread by Phase Linear Phanatic asking for 4. He's not on this list.