Pioneer SA-520 hums The Electric Company vs Sound Of Silence

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Re: Pioneer SA-520 hums The Electric Company vs Sound Of Sil

Good. We can still get our hands on some of those yet.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

I bought 30 or so in Germany awhile back and distributed them to Dave and a few others. How many ya need?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?

Got the parts in today. Glad I had some reservations about the drivers (subs are NTE289A/290A). I ordered the NTE289/290's. I looked at them, and was thinking a Vceo rating of 30V didn't sit right. Turns out the "A" models are rated at 80-100V. Looks like the actual circuit will easily exceed that.

The outputs I finally went with are 2SA1943/2SC5200's. Those are 15A/150W devices so plenty of power ability. Looks like they'll fit without a single new hole drilled into the heatsink. The leads will need to be formed a little bit since they're wider than the originals, but that's not too much trouble.

So I have the "A" models back on order. Newark had the matched pair NTE items for sale, so I figured it best to go with matched ones. Might be a couple of weeks more before we go for powerup...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable

Thank you for the update, Jerry!

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?

Hah.. guess what I'm listenin too? Got the Infinity tower hooked up...

Replaced not only the pistons, but drivers and predrivers too. The drivers are NTE 289A/290A MCP matched pairs, and the outputs are 2SA1943/2SC5200's.

Going to jam on it for a few, as it's sounding.. well? very purty! Gotta keep an eye out on the right channel (which was the original channel that was done-in) - offset is about 90mV. Dunno if I can find the dual-BJT's that make up the input section.

Yeah, took awhile. Had to decide on the parts and have money n "gumption" lined up. Hmm.. wonder how the phono stage is?

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?

So hey Steven - I can get those input dual-BJT's which will replace the main input sections with brand new devices. Want to do that, or you want it like it is? Just would like to see if that clears up the offset problem, which isn't noticeable in itself at all. But still I'd like to make sure I've given ya back an amp that can be all it can be.. :study:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Is it a 5 legged sumbitch Jer??

orange

Tagline

jbeckva said:
So hey Steven - I can get those input dual-BJT's which will replace the main input sections with brand new devices. Want to do that, or you want it like it is? Just would like to see if that clears up the offset problem, which isn't noticeable in itself at all. But still I'd like to make sure I've given ya back an amp that can be all it can be.. :study:
That's up to you, Jer...they aren't that expensive it looks to me and you could use them for a backup...I would bet there are others I will come across that use it as well PLUS isn't it the part for SX-3600, wgich I may run across again someday (I've had THREE)?

My SA-1040 is a lot bigger of a basket case...switches too.

orange

Tagline

I'll cross my fingers because I got my eyes uncrossed when I was a kid :glasses7: :thumbup:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Jer, if you're talkin the 5 legged for the input pair, I have some.