Pioneer CT-50R

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Did you oil the capstan bearing and when I do with AMSoil the wow and flutter can be reduced further and I also oil the upper motor bearing with it too under the pulley. The oil I use make a huge improvement in all these bearings. BTW- the motor turning the wrong way can be corrected by takein the cap off back of motor, unsolder the motor terminals and turning the board 180 degrees and resolder it then the motor will go your way that is all there is to it. The abstract regulator system might be used like that if the input voltage to plus of motor was 17Vdc from another regulator as they would be lifting the ground pin by 5 volts so that 17V-5V is 12V at motor. That seems very abstract to me but you never know unless someone tampered with it not knowing what they were doing. A LM7812 would be the more correct regulator feeding the positive of the motor.

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Yes, the capstans and the new motor bearings are oiled.
The Chinese version of these Mabuchi motors can't be reversed.
The motor power supply is regular 12V so no need of an external regulator.
The new motor is also a Chinese Mabuchi so I didn't expect to get the original w&f.
I hope to find a good original motor.

Pion1981

New Around These Parts
Put a new motor runing in the right direction, had to replace the pulley as it was bent during the previous 'repair'.
Lubricated the thrust position of the capstans, added the lost oil stopper washers.
Cleaned the idler tire and the pinch rollers.
View attachment 74995
Also added several screws that were lost.
Works much better now.
New here but I'm hoping you can help me with a Pioneer CT-9R which I'm struggling to repair. I've managed to get the head rotation issue solved but the tiny wires to the playback head are broken at solder points. I have 2 sets of heads (in the rotating barrel) to work with, I thought the 2nd would solve my problem but it too has a disconnect. I've made an attempt to remove the heads from the barrel (on 1 of the sets) but the copper shim piece is held in there pretty good and I don't want to damage. Do you have any tips / suggestions on extracting the heads from barrel? I also have what I believe to be a power supply issue for the VU meters, Digital counter and tape travel LEDS. But first things first need to address reattaching head wires. I sure would appreciate some help, I'll supply pics if required. Thanks !!

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Sorry I can't help you on this deck, the CT-9R has a totally different mechanism (3 direct drive motor) and a different head mount.
I suggest you to take a look at the service manual for the wiring.

Pion1981

New Around These Parts
Sorry I can't help you on this deck, the CT-9R has a totally different mechanism (3 direct drive motor) and a different head mount.
I suggest you to take a look at the service manual for the wiring.
I appreciate the response. It's disassembly (removal) of the heads from the barrel that has me stymied. The service manual doesn't provide this sort of detailed information. I saw where you had mentioned doing some head wiring work and hoped (I kinda figured it was a long shot) you might be able to help. Again I appreciate the response.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member

Pion1981

New Around These Parts
If you would like to get some particular information about the Pioneer CT-9R deck, contact BigRed @ the Tapeheads.Net forum. He has worked on many CT-9R decks and knows them very well. You will have to become a member there, first.

Tapeheads Image of the Week and Home Page | Tapeheads.net

Pioneer CT-9R "Third time's a charm" (AKA The Demon Deck) | Tapeheads.net

Nando.
I've tried to (I've even sent him a PM) ... I'm out of my league working on this deck but I really have no other option. I'll just keep plugging along I guess. Thanks !!

Elite-ist

Staff member
@Pion1981: Oh, that's too bad you didn't get a response from him. I bought a CT-9R from him and it had all been gone through by him with all the head block revisions. It worked flawlessly during the time I owned it. I sold it because someone was looking for a CT-9R to add to their 1981 Pioneer Communication system.

pioneer_communication_components_zpsaytphiqi.jpg
0808f65a-b04c-434d-8625-78f0edc22fc1_zpssoqwjhcz.jpg
508f6893-027e-4fd8-b597-859c11b66ba6_zpsqsfu3gda.jpg

I have the NOS wired remote control for it still. I plan to keep it.

84eec05d-be9c-4f32-ab44-ec2f0e7e54d4_zpscqbdu0nk.png

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
@Pion1981: You can formally introduce yourself in the Introductions sub-forum and we can find out more about your interests/hobbies and gear you run. Nice system you've got there! I will comment further in the Intro sub-forum.

Nando.

Pion1981

New Around These Parts
Thanks, neighbors don't seem to like it ...lol .. used to include a Pl-L1 Turntable but I sold it a few years ago (kicking myself now). I really don't see myself using the CT-9R much if and when I get it going again but it's become an obsession . I just repaired my SG-9 ... had to replace a couple sliders and the power switch. It was a cake walk compared to this CT-9R

Oleo

New Around These Parts
Hi all! I'm very glad that I found this forum and I'm also glad that I'm not alone in this world with my deck CT1150R. I bought it for two years ago as a non-working, it was a part of the Pioneer system, but only recently began to do something with it. Externally it is almost perfect with the exception of the missing recording level adjustment lever (I see that this is a usual thing)), but inside I was in surprised in the form of a missing capstan motor. Now I'm waiting for the motor, belts and idler tire. Greetings from Cyprus!