Pics of your Favorite Cassette Tapes

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I haven't seen that brand of tape before, Daren.

Nando.
Boots (Boots The Chemist, what we call a drugstore or pharmacy chain). I have their Type II...FI is probably UR, the chrome is XL II.

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
All the NOS Metal tapes I find always have some wierd white crud on them

I wish I could come across a nice stash of the old school SA-X 90s... I would be more inclined to tape more. I am slowly working on a Heavy Metal mix tape for Doug but all I have on hand are NOS Maxell UDII CD 110s... says assembled in Mexico so they are probably not that great but at least they are still wrapped. Anybody here familiar with them?
Hi, are they TDK from the 90's ?

I've had this issue on some 1997 CDingIV, 1990 MA & MA-X and even some 1990/91 SA's.

Never had issues with the older ones.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Ben, that is the white powder i see on your MA there in the pic? I understand some metals from TDK do badly suffer of this specific chemical break down, Vincenzo do have an entire lot of them being unusable,,, don't know what to say but that's what seems from the pic, if it's so better to avoid using them as they can contaminate your deck transport. :)

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Ben, that is the white powder i see on your MA there in the pic? I understand some metals from TDK do badly suffer of this specific chemical break down, Vincenzo do have an entire lot of them being unusable,,, don't know what to say but that's what seems from the pic, if it's so better to avoid using them as they can contaminate your deck transport. :)
I bought 3 boxes of tapes a couple years back. Those were in a box with other tapes. Only the MA's had the problem. They were stored in a 10 pack box with 5 SA's and a Denon HD8. Again.. only the MA's.

That said, I did try one in my deck. After a fast wind cycle to rid the debris. Also blew out the tape well afterwards. Tape had lots of dropouts. Completely worthless.

That vintage of MA makes me break out in a bad sweat from just seeing them.
Yeah I honestly dont even look for MA's anymore because of it.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
I bought 3 boxes of tapes a couple years back. Those were in a box with other tapes. Only the MA's had the problem. They were stored in a 10 pack box with 5 SA's and a Denon HD8. Again.. only the MA's.

That said, I did try one in my deck. After a fast wind cycle to rid the debris. Also blew out the tape well afterwards. Tape had lots of dropouts. Completely worthless.
Obviously chemical unstable and not aging very well, depends by the lot and it seems not all the line being afected as long some were more lucky and not having problems with those, some vintage tapes are real treasures but some of them are ticking bombs... BTW, not just those typeIV's are prone to fail and also typeI's as well, i tried some Korean SKC from the 90's shedding like hell covering the transport with brownie mud, getting a massive lot of those ''surprises'' can be quite painful so better to dig before than screwing up.. :shock:

Miracle Mile

MA problems...

Very weird.....

I've never had any problems with TDK metals, maybe it has something to do about how the tapes were stored over the years....

Even the last CDing Metals I have are clean and without any traces of white powder....

But there's an effective way to solve the "white powder" problem.:

:clown:

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Very weird.....

I've never had any problems with TDK metals, maybe it has something to do about how the tapes were stored over the years....

But there's an effective way to solve the "white powder" problem.:

:clown:
And you were lucky having the good batches also stored in good conditions, moreover you just found the proper cure for them all... :thumbup: :D

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Perhaps, one of the administrators seeing your query could indeed make this thread a Sticky. It has my thumbs-up for Stickying.

Nando.
Nando you should be able to make this thread or any other one a sticky by going to the sub forum and clicking the box on the far right of the thread listing and then go to the bottom of the page to moderation tools and selecting "Stick Threads". You can stick or unstick one or more threads at a time if you like by selecting more then one box to the right of the thread. :rabbit: