Phase Linear

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, it has taken the listening of this amp to get me to seriously consider doing just that. The amp in the closet is that PS Audio 200c. Last time I used it it started popping loudly, at random, while listening to music or just idle. Used to be it would only POP-pop pop pop after turn off. Now all the time. I don't think I would have cared to much about the 700B, if I was still using the Snell two-way speaks. But the 901s like this amp.

I have found a 700B to be very adept at rockin folks off-center...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I figured since you were successful in coercing Timdalf that maybe you could get Ed to do a post or two. But I really am curious if the board holders are working out for him as there is one change that I'd do if I made more.
Lets bait him some more then..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Undoubtably, then you need two high quality amps, one small and one large.......imagine that.......:blob:

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
By the way, I don't think I could get a whole lot for the pioneer in its present state. No fm, few lamps out & some really audible HSSSSsssss coming through the speakers now...

looks pretty though...

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The electronics can be fixed, the AK boys have a strong contingent of 1280 fixit wannabes.....the problem is finding cosmetically delicious specimens such as that.... you might be surprised what it will bring. List it with a high reserve and you're not out anything if there are no serious buyers that week...

NavLinear

NavLinear

The electronics can be fixed, the AK boys have a strong contingent of 1280 fixit wannabes.....the problem is finding cosmetically delicious specimens such as that.... you might be surprised what it will bring. List it with a high reserve and you're not out anything if there are no serious buyers that week...
Yeah - that is a beauty Joe.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I figured since you were successful in coercing Timdalf that maybe you could get Ed to do a post or two. But I really am curious if the board holders are working out for him as there is one change that I'd do if I made more.

I had just told Tim that at the party he was gonna get registered, not that I could have got him to do something he did not want to do, he's like that ya know....and we had to ask for the screwy letters and numbers thing about ten times to pass that little test. Have you tried to register lately? No robots gonna figure that shit out.....

NavLinear

I had just told Tim that at the party he was gonna get registered, not that I could have got him to do something he did not want to do, he's like that ya know....and we had to ask for the screwy letters and numbers thing about ten times to pass that little test. Have you tried to register lately? No robots gonna figure that shit out.....
Sometimes if you've had enough to drink the letters make sense - otherwise good luck figuring it out.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
After hearing a 400 and a 700 side by side. I will find a 700b lol.

Explain? I know you mentioned some midrange harshness with Quasi Bertha but Quasi Blackie never had that issue, flat response is flat response and what you mentioned seems to be an uptick in the mid section of the curve. I would love to see images of Bertha's guts to see if anything is different in the build from Blackie that would effect the midrange like that (there was several improvements in the Quasi build's before the FC's became available IIRC so Bertha could be an earlier version???). I guess soon I will be able to do a comparison but it will be harder to make a comparison between a non-FC 700 vs a FC 400. The 700 will win the horsepower war but will it sound better then Sally? Sally should have the better soundstage and lower noise. We shall see. I think a FC 400 vs a FC 700 would tell the tale better. With all things being equal other then extra power, the amps should sound pretty much the same in FC dress???

Jer has them both now so perhaps he can do a shootout looking for musicality between the two. Whitey vs his freshly built FC1000

Last edited:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I think it's funny this thing was first brought out to test, transformer-less, built into a coffee can.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ron, we did that 3 weeks ago, the 700 having slightly more residual noise but still inaudible. Joe and I both believe the 700 not the same as the upper ranges than the 400. It's not a worse or better thing but I feel it is a discernable difference, less "bright" seems to describe it but it is very slight.
skynards 400 was one of the first 5 original "A" boards and there have been so many inmprovements just in the quasi series that it's not a fair comparison. The "A"s are noisier, exhibit some turn on/off thump, and not quite as clear as a "C" board. Granted it's still a world better that stock but there has also been a large improvement just in Joe's product.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
Explain? I know you mentioned some midrange harshness with Quasi Bertha but Quasi Blackie never had that issue, flat response is flat response and what you mentioned seems to be an uptick in the mid section of the curve. I would love to see images of Bertha's guts to see if anything is different in the build from Blackie that would effect the midrange like that (there was several improvements in the Quasi build's before the FC's became available IIRC so Bertha could be an earlier version???). I guess soon I will be able to do a comparison but it will be harder to make a comparison between a non-FC 700 vs a FC 400. The 700 will win the horsepower war but will it sound better then Sally? Sally should have the better soundstage and lower noise. We shall see. I think a FC 400 vs a FC 700 would tell the tale better. With all things being equal other then extra power, the amps should sound pretty much the same in FC dress???

Jer has them both now so perhaps he can do a shootout looking for musicality between the two. Whitey vs his freshly built FC1000

Its hard for me to explain Ron not being a tech or knowing the tech terms! The 700b has more headroom than a 400 by far and it really does change the whole presence of the sound. If I use the 939 as the pre at 12oclock on the volume is where I notice a bit of mid distortion on the 400. On the 700 it's still crystal clear and singing amazing. The 400 to mean dosent have the punch and whip that the 700 has. Lee maybe can explain better. But there deff 2 diff beasts!!! To me there both amazing but the 700 kicks it's ass lol.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
PB Joe the coffee can myth has no basis. Ed has researched this story extensively. A "coffee Can" amp basically has to do with the lexicon of the era. In electronics circles of the time a "coffee can" project was simply a crude prototype with a very limited chassis. Ther is no wayt a 700 could be made with no transformer, yes you could BR the AC mains in but that would only give you rail voltage of 84 volts. A Bridged version of the PL design was tried in the first few models when the outputs for a 700 had the same count as the 400's and was a failure from a reliability stand point. They got em to work, but not for long. Ed has one that he is attempting to rebuild but there are no schematics or other supporting documentation. I have pics of it if anyone is interested..

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Hmmmm... I wonder if I would really be able to hear how the headroom makes a difference since Sally can destroy my CV's by herself. To experience the headroom, I need speakers that handle significantly more power becasue Sally is not even breathing hard when she shuts down the highs and mids. I am sure the headroom on Sally is far higher then the rated output in microsecond instances, is this a correct assumption Lee? Reserve headroom peaks could spike near double or more rated output with the bigger reserve power caps right ?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Jase I have run a lot of 700's and 400's and your description matches mine, when around 200 watts they sound pretty much the same but even at that output the 400's headroom suffers compared to the 700. When getting to Mach 8 the 400 has nothing left to give to a big transient whereas the 700 will make you shit your pants sometimes. Timdalf has a favorite song he loves to put on when no one is watching, it comes on at full tilt boogie in the first 2 notes and whether you know it's coming or not when the 700 is set to kick ass you can't help but jump. I'll always have a 400 quasi and FC 400 and 700. The bass is quite a bit different init's presentation, and in awhile you and Kyle will be able to side by side compare an FC WOPL and Quasi WOPL...