Phase Linear

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Are the newer series amplifiers with the LED meters any more or less desireable? Like a 400 series II for example?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Are the newer series amplifiers with the LED meters any more or less desireable? Like a 400 series II for example?
Depends... my personal taste would be for the big ole analog meters instead of the cylon eyeballs. As far as sound, well hmm.. never heard a series II. Looks like there are a few differences (main one being the use of an IC on the driver board), but I'd imagine Joe or Lee can speak better to that. I skip 'em on ebay so I am not paying attention to any trends.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Depends... my personal taste would be for the big ole analog meters instead of the cylon eyeballs. As far as sound, well hmm.. never heard a series II. Looks like there are a few differences (main one being the use of an IC on the driver board), but I'd imagine Joe or Lee can speak better to that. I skip 'em on ebay so I am not paying attention to any trends.
Agree, it is a matter of what you like to look at. The backwall of a Series 2 is the same as it is on the Series 1. PL cost reduced the control board in the Series 2 (PL36), it has issues where the heat from the shunt regulators burn the board over time and the trace separates from the FR4 laminate.

The LED meters are the big difference along with level controls. But those are just cosmetic in nature. There is one IC on the LED meter board that is no longer available so you have the same dilemma with Series 2 as you do with Series 1; looking for a donor machine if the meter dies.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Agree, it is a matter of what you like to look at. The backwall of a Series 2 is the same as it is on the Series 1. PL cost reduced the control board in the Series 2 (PL36), it has issues where the heat from the shunt regulators burn the board over time and the trace separates from the FR4 laminate.

The LED meters are the big difference along with level controls. But those are just cosmetic in nature. There is one IC on the LED meter board that is no longer available so you have the same dilemma with Series 2 as you do with Series 1; looking for a donor machine if the meter dies.
I have an amp in the closet with a lifted trace on a board that's been "strengthened". No replacement boards for that though. Are there WO mods for 400II as well?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I have an amp in the closet with a lifted trace on a board that's been "strengthened". No replacement boards for that though. Are there WO mods for 400II as well?
Sure thing

WO Backplane Boards
WO PL14_20 control board
WO Cap Kit

All applicable Joe.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And we will know in a couple weeks if there are going to be any issues with the complete White Oak FC suite in a Ser II 700. I'm going to do one of those next. The physical arrangement of the chassis is the same but some small differences like board mounting, etc will be addressed.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If so I bought 3 this week and have some chassis and transformers also, if you might to desire to build one...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
No doubt it's a Rocky Horror...

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
If so I bought 3 this week and have some chassis and transformers also, if you might to desire to build one...
I dunno man. The whole experience has got me poking around and thinking. ( and a little hungry for this amp...). There is a guy local selling a clean 400II. So I'm just curious. Knowing myself, I'd probably be happier in the long run with the "best". Besides, the thought of buying a cool amp is a LOT more exiting then the possibility of buying a turntable speed control with a tach.

The other thing that is intriguing, is buying a product that has support beyond a typical company. Things go wrong, and they usually do, with new OR used gear. Now I'm justifying spending money lol. Since I bought this house in sept, I've been hanging on to $ tighter than I have in the past. I get close to pulling the trigger on something, then I don't. I'm starting to think that the idea of fixing up the SX-1280 is a waste of time and money, as I can see myself just shelving it after it's done.

NavLinear

I dunno man. The whole experience has got me poking around and thinking. ( and a little hungry for this amp...). There is a guy local selling a clean 400II. So I'm just curious. Knowing myself, I'd probably be happier in the long run with the "best". Besides, the thought of buying a cool amp is a LOT more exiting then the possibility of buying a turntable speed control with a tach.

The other thing that is intriguing, is buying a product that has support beyond a typical company. Things go wrong, and they usually do, with new OR used gear. Now I'm justifying spending money lol. Since I bought this house in sept, I've been hanging on to $ tighter than I have in the past. I get close to pulling the trigger on something, then I don't. I'm starting to think that the idea of fixing up the SX-1280 is a waste of time and money, as I can see myself just shelving it after it's done.
Those 1280s are going for real money - Like Lee said if you can part ways with it that will get you well on your way towards a White Oak Phase Linear. The 400 Series II amps are nice critters but as Joe mentioned - it has an IC on the LED driver board that is obsolete.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Then use the selling of a very desireable product to finance WHAT YOU DO want..
Well, it has taken the listening of this amp to get me to seriously consider doing just that. The amp in the closet is that PS Audio 200c. Last time I used it it started popping loudly, at random, while listening to music or just idle. Used to be it would only POP-pop pop pop after turn off. Now all the time. I don't think I would have cared to much about the 700B, if I was still using the Snell two-way speaks. But the 901s like this amp.

NavLinear

I know, not much of a mystery....thanks for your support in the Ed thread..
I figured since you were successful in coercing Timdalf that maybe you could get Ed to do a post or two. But I really am curious if the board holders are working out for him as there is one change that I'd do if I made more.