Phase Linear 4000 Series two.

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Went searching thru all my old junk to see if I had any OPT I could pop in and guess what. In the past I had been sorting the old OPT by the date code and calling them 'matched" because I knew they all came out of the same unit, they all had the same designation/type (IE 15025,15024,) number and by the date code even though I did not know it was a date code.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I need two op amps, the transistor set, new caps, and 2 1.8k 2 watt resistors. I think I may have all the rest. Sure I have the caps too. I am gonna hook it up in my shop probably.

Tagline
I am not sure what you mean. I took the old board out to re populate it. Gotta get some parts.
Oh OK , I see that you took the 7.5K Resistors out? bottom pic and I see a blob of solder by the Cap (Top Right ) I can look later at my working board , but its full comp. the Zennor diode has been replaced & I would add sockets for the op-amp , I had a lot of problems w the Pots so I would clean them, and ohm them out.
Oh I just bought some silicone wire Wow its very Flexible I used the 20AWG but the next one is going to be 22awg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881HCN37?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Just de soldered on side of those two resistors to do a firm check on them. They will both be replaced. Lots of heat on those two. I already have the sockets for the op amps, just trying to decide what ones to use. I do not understand why only one op amp has a socket on this board?? I will replace all of the diodes on the board, transistors and resistors. I think I have two bias pots, brand new ones not 100% though. Gotta look. Did you use the .22awg on a PL amp ?

Last edited:
Tagline
Here the pic of the Connecters I added and is wired w 20awg but it tight (not a lot of room behind the board. I will make the Bias wires longer from the board so they can move around the board, I'm using 4-connecters all wired from the backplane and power and all are wired for the PL14_20G1 . I converted it to Full comp so the board has been modified. PL had a lot of design work and thinking about how to do it and this is REV 1 Yellow tape is holding the connectors for the PL.

Attachments

Tagline
The Goal is to have a test fixture since I'm doing a bunch of them, I have a lot of parts so I'm going to update all the old PL boards w news parts and Resistors and them I can swap out them w the new PL14_20G1
This PL 400II has already had 2-PL14_20G1 boards in it and the Original modify PL one.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The Goal is to have a test fixture since I'm doing a bunch of them, I have a lot of parts so I'm going to update all the old PL boards w news parts and Resistors and them I can swap out them w the new PL14_20G1
This PL 400II has already had 2-PL14_20G1 boards in it and the Original modify PL one.
Steve, your long lead length on the bias transistor connections is not your friend. Those want to be very short as they are carrying the high frequency signal.

Tagline
Steve, your long lead length on the bias transistor connections is not your friend. Those want to be very short as they are carrying the high frequency signal.
Joe
Good to know I did some test w shorter ones and did not see a different.
I was also thing if it was a problem adding shielded cables. what do you think?

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Joe, I used some old Bell phone wire, single conductor on the amp I sold a PL 400 with the PL 14 board. They were not really long or anything, solid copper. Was that a no no ?

Tagline
Wow, that looks fascinating . Your knowledge level exceeds mine by a long shot!
Not really,
I very impressed w you taking the wires off! (brave) I been in the Machine Building world forever and some times you have to think outside the box.