phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Thank you Gene at least I can read the meters now .
i think its important...i am multiamped...if i lost one channel you might not catch it right away...seeing an output in my case is important...i do use my meters ..

gene french

Tagline
well....a few noteworth events...
my den setup is complete....i have the dh110 preamp...dh160 eq on the voigts...
the dayton dsp408 on the 4 ways...
2 monoblocked hafler p230s on the woofers
1 wopl on midbass duty
1 8 fin on mid duty
1 8 fin on tweeter duty
1 wopl on voigt duty...
smsl su-9n dac feeding into the aux loop in the preamp...
2 position switch to select...
1. input the phone dac to play hi res lossless from apple...
2. system in normal operation....
pretty happy...

gene french

Tagline
now for the master bed room...
i have noise...slight but still noise...
i found a dirty pot on the preamp schiit magni...
swapped it out for the schiit heresy...
with the modi 3e doing the dac job...
will insert the ir remote for lazy volume control...
changed out christine for the spare 8 fin...
want to readdress christine...
part of the noise is from the smart tv...because there is no noise casting ....just playing the smart tv on youtube...
this model will not load apple music...the den tv is a samsung...it will load...no problems there...
it is an rca 46"....when setting up the harmony hub...i called rca for the control codes...
guess what....they had no clue what i had....no such model number....
seems rca sold rights to some chinese company that makes an rca clone??? if clone is the right word...
it shows up in the router as some off the wall chinese electronics mfg company....
my last venture away from samsung....they are more expensive for a reason...
it casts from the chrome casts just fine...no blue tooth setup in the mbr...
the su9 does have a bluetooth setup in the den...
i almost never use blue tooth...
it may be a rewire and reorganizing will help....
i am revamping this now...
gotta chisel a hole in the wall to pass the wires....
but, i think this is about it for the master bed room....
once i tidy up a bit...
i will re check christine....i still have a bad feeling...
though i cant really pin anything specific....
anyway....
thanks for reading...

gene french

Tagline
Gene you must really throw one hellofa party .
my party days are way behind me....but my best bud and i would kill 2 fifths of 13 year old charter every 3 afternoons...
then we went out...
lololol
i often wonder where these tatoos came from???
lol

ABebar

Journeyman
Help! I have a problem with my 400!
I haven't used it in a few weeks. I powered her on today, and the right channel is extremely distorted. It sounded like a blown speaker. Left channel is fine. First I swapped the speaker cable output to rule out the speaker, and the problem moved to the other channel. Okay, not the speaker. I put them back and then swapped inputs L/R and the problem stayed with the right channel. Okay, it's not the source or the RCA cable. I thought it might be a faulty rca jack, so went ahead and I replaced it. Same problem. Finally, I moved the white and black input wires on the control board from left channel to right, and the right is still garbled. It must be in the amp.
Any suggestions on what to look for first? The amp was working fine for over a year with no issues. It hasn't moved or been tampered with. There is still sound out of the channel, but it's 50% distorted. Where to start troubleshooting?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Help! I have a problem with my 400!
I haven't used it in a few weeks. I powered her on today, and the right channel is extremely distorted. It sounded like a blown speaker. Left channel is fine. First I swapped the speaker cable output to rule out the speaker, and the problem moved to the other channel. Okay, not the speaker. I put them back and then swapped inputs L/R and the problem stayed with the right channel. Okay, it's not the source or the RCA cable. I thought it might be a faulty rca jack, so went ahead and I replaced it. Same problem. Finally, I moved the white and black input wires on the control board from left channel to right, and the right is still garbled. It must be in the amp.
Any suggestions on what to look for first? The amp was working fine for over a year with no issues. It hasn't moved or been tampered with. There is still sound out of the channel, but it's 50% distorted. Where to start troubleshooting?
Stock or WOPL? First thought was rail fuses but 400 doesn’t have left/right rail fuses...

ABebar

Journeyman
Good question. It's a full comp WOPL build with a PL14_20 RevG1 Dual Mono Control Board and the RevC blackplane. Ideally I would like some recommendations on where to start looking. I went over it with a magnifier looking for cracked solder joints or sloppy work since I built it myself, but everything looks okay.

ABebar

Journeyman
I will say, the last time I used it was a party where I went to bed and there were still people there playing the music at extreme volume. It's very possible that something popped after I went upstairs and nobody said anything about it.
I'm stuck at work until 5. I can check all fuses when I get home tonight.