phase linear 400

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
the new smsl su9 dac/preamp arrived yesterday...
got it installed...quite impressive...it has functions / features i need to read more about...
keeps getting better and better...
waiting on the equalizer...i think i want a dh500 or another p230...along with another equalizer...
should i spend another fortune and upgrade the dodge music???
lol
Gene,
I have a DH220 in great shape if you are interested. It's just sitting on the shelf currently. Was planning on recapping it at some time, but you know how time is.
PM if you would like more info or pictures.

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
I have a question about terms? what is meant about Full comp or quasi ? I have an idea but would like explanation why?
full comp used 1/2 pnp and 1/2 npn output transistors...in simple terms...
the man to explain in full detail is gepetto ..the owner/designer of the phase linear family upgrade ...white oak design...he converts the earlier phase linears from quasi to full comp...among a host of other audio improvements .... hang around...he will show up and help...the last of the phase linears were complimentary....

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
Joe does not THINK you are an idiot :)
I am the idiot around here
been 40 years since i've done component work but i do believe you guys from this forum will save me money just wish i would have done more work looking for understanding the circuits .
Like Sniff says ... "my ah shit cost me plenty "

gene french

Tagline
been 40 years since i've done component work but i do believe you guys from this forum will save me money just wish i would have done more work looking for understanding the circuits .
just keep peddlin..
dont let anyone discourage you...
no one had made more mistakes than i have...
i am still plugging...rebuilt 6 400s and working on two haflers and completed 2 wopl...was hand held on the first one...one member said go for it ..we wont let you build a crappy amp...i will never forget...second was completed without handholding....i have learned..and try to continue learning...great group here!!!

gene french

Tagline
btw....sniff was really saying...joe doesnt think i am an idiot....he knows i am...
probably so...
lololol

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
just keep peddlin..
dont let anyone discourage you...
no one had made more mistakes than i have...
i am still plugging...rebuilt 6 400s and working on two haflers and completed 2 wopl...was hand held on the first one...one member said go for it ..we wont let you build a crappy amp...i will never forget...second was completed without handholding....i have learned..and try to continue learning...great group here!!!
Gene
iam about to fire it up i feel setting bias first since i replaced both Q6s before to get bias close to each other r20 full CCW R full CW on L to bring near 350mv . Where should i set r20 as a default ? ccw cw or middle? I am using light bulb startup .

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Gene
iam about to fire it up i feel setting bias first since i replaced both Q6s before to get bias close to each other r20 full CCW R full CW on L to bring near 350mv . Where should i set r20 as a default ? ccw cw or middle? I am using light bulb startup .
Always bring up with the bias pot full CCW until you know the amp is OK.

gene french

Tagline
since you dont have the dc prptect board....i would check offset first....should be 75mv or less...most can easily get below 10mv...make sure no dc on outputs ....
remember...no inputs ...no outputs connected...
i always locate my candles and flashlights just in case...lololol

gene french

Tagline
since you dont have the dc prptect board....i would check offset first....should be 75mv or less...most can easily get below 10mv...make sure no dc on outputs ....
remember...no inputs ...no outputs connected...
i always locate my candles and flashlights just in case...lololol
a fire extinguisher might not be a bad idea either
lol

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
Well update found Q7&Q5 left channel crapped out . However being the cautious kind of person I am I prebought a set of trans for one side along with recap set.
So now my ohms are equal on both channels. Also my bulb rig for power reduces my input voltage to 94vac fyi. Like to keep my test down to a smell rather than smoke test ... .
Good night everyone.

GaryCooper

Journeyman
Tagline
X usaf electronic tech.
you need to have a little chat with the left channel...
no blown fuses??
dbtester stay bright??
or dimmed??
14a , yea left is being a butt head. no fuses blowing (yet) . dbtester ? light bulb? dimmed after start i payed all my attention to right side durning this rebuild , oh my , ill have as much in this board as a new W.O. board with terminals heck with those wires (fine for assem & go) not for the novice trouble shooter as i am.
all i need is two 410's and i could throw all the xpl909s and 410s back in , it was my fault they went out anyhow dam meter lead...

gene french

Tagline
Well update found Q7&Q5 left channel crapped out . However being the cautious kind of person I am I prebought a set of trans for one side along with recap set.
So now my ohms are equal on both channels. Also my bulb rig for power reduces my input voltage to 94vac fyi. Like to keep my test down to a smell rather than smoke test ... .
Good night everyone.
only take a second to check all of the diodes too...my last one had quite a few that were open...
we all put too much money in our hobbies...ita all about the adventure ..its all about the music.. kinda like a custom car...almost all are in upside down...but they love their cars . .we love our time machines!!!