phase linear 400

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Gene, do you know there are other Forums on this site? Testing, Speaker Building, lots of Discussion Groups.
You are not required to post everything on the Amps, PreAmps, and Receivers thread. We don't mind, of course. But you might attract a Fluke expert in the Testing Forum, for example. You have such talents and insights, it would be good to share them in some other threads.
For anything related to the PL400, this is certainly the right place.

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Gene, do you know there are other Forums on this site? Testing, Speaker Building, lots of Discussion Groups.
You are not required to post everything on the Amps, PreAmps, and Receivers thread. We don't mind, of course. But you might attract a Fluke expert in the Testing Forum, for example. You have such talents and insights, it would be good to share them in some other threads.
For anything related to the PL400, this is certainly the right place.
yes sir...i do and have posted in other forums...
i kinda trust the bunch here that have helped me so much...i should have called this thread ...my adventures with the 400s...i happen to notice this thread has nearly 70 000 views...i hope it helps others along with their adventures with the phase linear experiences as much as i have been helped...
i had no idea it would have been this addicting...
i try to play nice and follow protocol...
thanks to all...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
yes sir...i do and have posted in other forums...
i kinda trust the bunch here that have helped me so much...i should have called this thread ...my adventures with the 400s...i happen to notice this thread has nearly 70 000 views...i hope it helps others along with their adventures with the phase linear experiences as much as i have been helped...
i had no idea it would have been this addicting...
i try to play nice and follow protocol...
thanks to all...
We are the same guys on the other threads too Gene

gene french

Tagline
Suggest a DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter for caps. What model of 77 do you have?
The 8050A does diode checks. Actually has 3 separate ranges for "turning on" silicon junctions.
Huge operators manual.
maybe it would be nice to have both...a 77 4 or up along with a nice desk version...i used the cap checker on the kit from white oak to identify those little bitty blue caps i could not read with a headlight and two magnifying glasses....maria and i really enjoy our music...i have spent a bunch...lol
thanks for pointing out things to me...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
maybe it would be nice to have both...a 77 4 or up along with a nice desk version...i used the cap checker on the kit from white oak to identify those little bitty blue caps i could not read with a headlight and two magnifying glasses....maria and i really enjoy our music...i have spent a bunch...lol
thanks for pointing out things to me...
Little bitty caps??

gene french

Tagline
Little bitty caps??
maybe it was a recap kit...dont remember exactly...
1/4 inch blue round electrolytics...non polar...
i could not read them all...used process of elimination and meter to figure them out...
you guys are pros...this is a hobby for me...
forgive my incompetance...

gene french

Tagline
Suggest a DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter for caps. What model of 77 do you have?
The 8050A does diode checks. Actually has 3 separate ranges for "turning on" silicon junctions.
Huge operators manual.
you made me go look that up...
lol

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
maybe it was a recap kit...dont remember exactly...
1/4 inch blue round electrolytics...non polar...
i could not read them all...used process of elimination and meter to figure them out...
you guys are pros...this is a hobby for me...
forgive my incompetance...
Not I Gene. All the components I use are senior friendly ?-)

George S.

Here you go Gene. Corroded traces on the board. Perhaps caused by flux residue. In the article that's linked, click on the additional link for the 77 IV. Good comments all through the links. Need to open up mine and look for the white residue. None was on the 8050A, need to check the two 77/BNs. Didn't know Fluke has these issues. Disappointment.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-77-repair-184173/
Some have even found corroded vias. I see yours is also a BN, produced for government contract. May have had a hard life.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
Defiantly do what Gorge said Inspect the Board , Very Good Links
Can you post the other side of the Board? mainly the trace were the contacts go. (Round section)

I have used a Screwdriver as a buss bar / sw , to turn things On/Off and for testing

Last edited: