phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
what i learned today...
the dsp bluetooth module will stream but not let you configure from the app...parts express thinks its a bad dongle...have sent another...
the dsp has a 3 position switch on the back for turn on...remote control, mode speaker mode, and rca mode...it is very squirrely in the rca setting...some times it will not wake it up...sometimes it will just shut off for no apparent reason...in the remote mode it works perfectly...the auto on off stuff is by passed...when you apply power...it comes on and stays on...
dont know if it dont like my schiit...or if the bt module is not the problem...will know in time...
got most arranged and listening...
i got the new to me fluke down...only used it once to set bias on wopl when i changed out the transistors...it would not turn on...thought dead battery...nope...blown fuse...11 amp...smaller of the two...but is only fusing the two higher amp inputs...nothing to do with other functions...
sometimes it will power up...mostly no...
sure looks like it tangled with something that blew the fuse...and wounded...i disassembled the meter..nothing apparent...guess they got me...i did absolutely nothing with the 77 except the bias readings...the painter aint showed his face either...
voigts ready for paint...8" drivers here this week...really would like to try them out before paint...anyway...it will come out in the wash....
take care...suggestions??

George S.

Weird about the Fluke. Since it sometimes powers up, try bypassing the fuses with copper strands. If that fixes the power up issues, fuses.
If bypassing the fuses doesn't work for power up, start looking for broken solder joints starting at battery and continuing on across the board. Good battery? Check for battery voltage on the board. Clean the rotary switch. Most probably something very simple.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
Weird about the Fluke. Since it sometimes powers up, try bypassing the fuses with copper strands. If that fixes the power up issues, fuses.
If bypassing the fuses doesn't work for power up, start looking for broken solder joints starting at battery and continuing on across the board. Good battery? Check for battery voltage on the board. Clean the rotary switch. Most probably something very simple.
Does it have a Power on/off button? If yes take it apart and clean the top and bottom pads - on/off
than take a pic I dont know what kind you have ,,,, I have move pads to test it and push it to see if it works. do at your own risk.

gene french

Tagline
i have done all of that...the fuses are between the incoming leads and the electronics of the two amp inputs....not the volt ohm etc or common inputs
the meter will work fine without the fuses....only for high voltage/amperage....the fuses are rated at 1000 volts...
i DID NOT clean the selector switch...i will do exactly that....

gene french

Tagline
Does it have a Power on/off button? If yes take it apart and clean the top and bottom pads - on/off
than take a pic I dont know what kind you have ,,,, I have move pads to test it and push it to see if it works. do at your own risk.
no problem....i understand the risk...
it has no switch per say....just the rotary selector which has an off position...i guess that would qualify as a switch....
as i told george ... i DID NOT take the rotary apart....and sometimes it does power up...and i find no pattern about when it will do so...
i will do as you suggest also!!!
many thanks....
pics will follow....when i disassemble again...
there are absolutely no signs of neglect or abuse....just a blown fuse....which for my purposes is irrelevant....
i will order a new fuse....if i figure this one out...and get it up and going...

Tagline
no problem....i understand the risk...
it has no switch per say....just the rotary selector which has an off position...i guess that would qualify as a switch....
as i told george ... i DID NOT take the rotary apart....and sometimes it does power up...and i find no pattern about when it will do so...
i will do as you suggest also!!!
many thanks....
pics will follow....when i disassemble again...
there are absolutely no signs of neglect or abuse....just a blown fuse....which for my purposes is irrelevant....
i will order a new fuse....if i figure this one out...and get it up and going...
Ok
My test would be to
1. Rotate it pushing hard in
2. than Rotate Hard pushing out
3. up or down and see if theirs a pattern
good luck

and this might help when taking it apart (looking for something)

George S.

The meter internals may be working correctly, but the LCD may be the issue. I haven't taken either of my 77/BNs apart, or ever cleaned the switch. But, I did take the 8050A apart and here's what I found.
There is no hard soldered connection between the circuit board and the LCD. There are traces on the board, and very fine traces on the LCD glass. A long rectangular conductive rubber strip bridges these traces.
I carefully cleaned all the traces and rubber strip with alcohol and Q-tip, made sure it was dry and lint free, and reassembled. Works perfect. Not sure your meter is assembled this way, but all my Fluke LCDs look very similar from the outside. Maybe there's a YouTube video on rebuilding a 77 like you have.

Tagline
The meter internals may be working correctly, but the LCD may be the issue. I haven't taken either of my 77/BNs apart, or ever cleaned the switch. But, I did take the 8050A apart and here's what I found.
There is no hard soldered connection between the circuit board and the LCD. There are traces on the board, and very fine traces on the LCD glass. A long rectangular conductive rubber strip bridges these traces.
I carefully cleaned all the traces and rubber strip with alcohol and Q-tip, made sure it was dry and lint free, and reassembled. Works perfect. Not sure your meter is assembled this way, but all my Fluke LCDs look very similar from the outside. Maybe there's a YouTube video on rebuilding a 77 like you have.
Good points
so put the meter in Buzz mode and touch the probes together and see it makes a sound?

gene french

Tagline
did that too...twice...lol

gene french

Tagline
i cant believe...
i have a/c in my mbr window.which is close to my nightstand...its a bit hot in april...it runs on 220 but uses the u.s. style 110 3 prong plug...i simply ran extra wires to the outlet...broke the tabs between the screws on the outlet....top plug is 110 and bottom is 220...many years ago...i have a power tower in my night stand with 8 outlets and a bunch of usb plugs...i have a lamp...a cable for my note 9..a wireless pad for the note9..a portable phone...an android tablet for viewing cameras without going to computer...a charging station for my garmin fenix 5 watch...a rechargable headlight...4 midland walkie talkies in 2 charging cradles...a harmony hub ..and a wireless noise canceling headset...the power tower is plugged into the 110 top socket...a/c in the 220 at the bottom plug...
last night i noticed my touch lamp was extra bright...i looked behind the nightstand tonight and saw the a/c was unplugged...i asked why...seems maria wanted to clean the spider webs behind the night stand ..and she unplugged all and moved night stand away so she could properly clean...seems she plugged the power tower into the 220 plug and left a/c plug unplugged....after an hour of checking stuff...all it got was a wall wart for the portable phone...luckily i had another in the bodega...i am sooo lucky...i dont understand why it did not eat everything plugged into the tower...but, it didnt ...how can it not pop a 110 light bulb??? again...it didnt...
all is back to normal...or at least as normal as it gets here...lol
never a dull moment !!!
LOLOLOL

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
i cant believe...
i have a/c in my mbr window.which is close to my nightstand...its a bit hot in april...it runs on 220 but uses the u.s. style 110 3 prong plug...i simply ran extra wires to the outlet...broke the tabs between the screws on the outlet....top plug is 110 and bottom is 220...many years ago...i have a power tower in my night stand with 8 outlets and a bunch of usb plugs...i have a lamp...a cable for my note 9..a wireless pad for the note9..a portable phone...an android tablet for viewing cameras without going to computer...a charging station for my garmin fenix 5 watch...a rechargable headlight...4 midland walkie talkies in 2 charging cradles...a harmony hub ..and a wireless noise canceling headset...the power tower is plugged into the 110 top socket...a/c in the 220 at the bottom plug...
last night i noticed my touch lamp was extra bright...i looked behind the nightstand tonight and saw the a/c was unplugged...i asked why...seems maria wanted to clean the spider webs behind the night stand ..and she unplugged all and moved night stand away so she could properly clean...seems she plugged the power tower into the 220 plug and left a/c plug unplugged....after an hour of checking stuff...all it got was a wall wart for the portable phone...luckily i had another in the bodega...i am sooo lucky...i dont understand why it did not eat everything plugged into the tower...but, it didnt ...how can it not pop a 110 light bulb??? again...it didnt...
all is back to normal...or at least as normal as it gets here...lol
never a dull moment !!!
LOLOLOL
You are a man of few words Gene...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Chisel.

or put in a single outlet (3-prong) 20A 220V for the A/C unit.

pull the 110 from elsewhere- run wiremold around the room from another outlet. Or drill a hole from a box on the outside of the room, and feed into a face mount shallow box.