phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
a nephew if memory serves ...
my oldest son, who would be 50 on the 20th ...
was killed in a freak accident in 1983...a few months before his 11th birthday...pretty much upset the apple cart...after about 35 years, i could finally look at his pictures without getting crazy upset...i found one of the best tattoo artists anywhere....he did a wonderful wonderful job...i waited many years for that...i wear it with great pride...today, it brings me great joy...always near my heart!!!
life is tough sometimes!!!

Attachments

gene french

Tagline
time for a question and opinion mister george???
my original phase linear was a 4 fin with the 400c driver board....it is working just fine...however
there is a marked difference in the 400c and the pl14....i think i have both versions...a and b...but, one is fried....dont remember which is which....
it takes more power to drive the 400c model than the pl14....joe said it was the design sensitivity was better in the later pl14 boards...both versions will output the rated 400 watts ... it just takes more to drive the 400c to the rated output....
and his wo driver board matched the specs of the pl14....just more accurate and durable....flatter too....if i remember right...
now, my question....
should i change out the 400c for a pl14??
is it a direct replacement??
maybe joe is listening too....and would like to comment too....
what do you think??
have you ever done this....you said the board i got from you was in working order...i bought another with some output transistors from ebay....
so theoretically i have 2 working pl14s and one fried from the 4 fin parts machine i got from rob...
please....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
time for a question and opinion mister george???
my original phase linear was a 4 fin with the 400c driver board....it is working just fine...however
there is a marked difference in the 400c and the pl14....i think i have both versions...a and b...but, one is fried....dont remember which is which....
it takes more power to drive the 400c model than the pl14....joe said it was the design sensitivity was better in the later pl14 boards...both versions will output the rated 400 watts ... it just takes more to drive the 400c to the rated output....
and his wo driver board matched the specs of the pl14....just more accurate and durable....flatter too....if i remember right...
now, my question....
should i change out the 400c for a pl14??
is it a direct replacement??
maybe joe is listening too....and would like to comment too....
what do you think??
have you ever done this....you said the board i got from you was in working order...i bought another with some output transistors from ebay....
so theoretically i have 2 working pl14s and one fried from the 4 fin parts machine i got from rob...
please....
You know what I think Gene...Sniff will probably tell you too :)

George S.

If your SET on keeping them stock then keep them as they are for as long as your able. If your going to biamp those old originals, then match the control boards. Otherwise WOPL them.
Got to be hard waiting on parts to fix the WOPL. Maybe do other things like sharpening your lawn mower blades.

gene french

Tagline
They are best to make decorative mobiles or wind chimes out of Gene...
Like Cool Hand Luke, Some men, you just can't reach Joe....................

40 year old junk is just junk.
at what age does a once revolutionary take the world by storm piece of equipment convert from the latest and greatest to a worthless pile of junk??

gene french

Tagline
If your SET on keeping them stock then keep them as they are for as long as your able. If your going to biamp those old originals, then match the control boards. Otherwise WOPL them.
Got to be hard waiting on parts to fix the WOPL. Maybe do other things like sharpening your lawn mower blades.
lolololol
i have learned patience...
what does biamp mean??
match the control boards??
english or spanish please!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
at what age does a once revolutionary take the world by storm piece of equipment convert from the latest and greatest to a worthless pile of junk??

They were junk 40 years ago. White Oak Audio did what PL couldn't. Just look at the quality of an untouched amp (or any other PL unit).... Crap man

Revolutionary???? Are you friggin high???

gene french

Tagline
dont worry...always plenty to do!!!

gene french

Tagline
stella wants to play...outside the window sqawking...i had to spend a little time...
maria returned to the big city...her moms is still in the hospital...she was very upset when she left...poor thing...life is hard sometimes...

Attachments