phase linear 400

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
sounds nice music man!!!
we dont watch tv around here....we do a lot of documentaries and youtube videos on the things that we are curious about....
not really interested in "surround sound" system per say....
but, 3 or 4 amps scattered around with several sets of nice speakers....is attractive to me...
i really like that theory....
george, how many amps do you have to how many speakers???
are you a big tv guy too??
Not a broadcast TV or cable TV guy. I do like to watch various videos that stream or I have downloaded as files. Old concert videos I really appreciate as well as instructional videos on YouTube. Also, DVDs.
Two amps, a 400 WOPL driving two JBL Millenniums, a 700 WOPL driving two Dayton Audio Ultimax subs.
A hybrid system sort of. Good for stereo music, good for thunder, gun shots, etc on DVD movies or files. I like to feel the sound pressure, but none of that thumping BS. Sounds so good I really don't want to add anymore speakers.
The PL2000 preamp supports rear channels, but that would be too much. Would need much smaller speakers or a much larger room, and I do mean much, much larger.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
well,, you do know how much i like spare parts....seems i have some...lol
trying to find one without the gismos...
if the seller does not step up....which his site is all chinese...i doubt he will even read the response...
all part of the game....
and its always a game....
do you have multiple amps and sound surround for your tv/audio ???
were taking a survey....for a friend...
I do not have surround sound, unless you count the Polk SDA speakers. Not a fan of surround sound. Just a 2 channel guy. No subwoofers either. AR-9's and Polk SDA-SRS2 don't need all that.

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
And not much interested in surround sound. Or Dolby in all it's forms. I'm not one to sit down for long, too much I want to do.
neither am i....but i would like a system similar to yours....
a couple of 400s driving some nice speakers, scattered around....
to enjoy the occasional movie and of course the daily music...
we love our music...

gene french

Tagline
I do not have surround sound, unless you count the Polk SDA speakers. Not a fan of surround sound. Just a 2 channel guy. No subwoofers either. AR-9's and Polk SDA-SRS2 don't need all that.
yeah...me too....but, i think another amp with a nice set of voigt pipes to spice up the den....
of course the primary would be the wopl....
i cant wait....i think joe has shipped the order....i made some additions and held up the order to get it all in one box....
but, i think it has migrated closer to my little paws....i do have a tracking number....
i ordered another dc protect board...but mr. watts must be very busy as i have not received an invoice as of yet...
i just feel better with one, even though it is a wopl....i am sure all of you run a dc protect board on your wopls....

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
sounds nice music man!!!
we dont watch tv around here....we do a lot of documentaries and youtube videos on the things that we are curious about....
not really interested in "surround sound" system per say....
but, 3 or 4 amps scattered around with several sets of nice speakers....is attractive to me...
i really like that theory....
george, how many amps do you have to how many speakers???
are you a big tv guy too??
Gene I also don't have my TV hooked to my Stereo But my Computer has a HDTV card that I can record Music and TV
I also record Music Video's from YouTube and down load them into my computer and than I play them from the computer to the TV and to the speaker but this system is only Front and Center. so as far as movies go, I hardly watch them, I cut cable Years ago I miss all the music video and I recorded them in HD only thing I miss from cable but not the bill LOL
Thiers a lot of Dramatic Range in Denon AVR in just 2-stero or 3 w center
(I don't have or need a Subwoofers, never liked them But I guess for movies its a different story)
Anyway

gene french

Tagline
Gene I also don't have my TV hooked to my Stereo But my Computer has a HDTV card that I can record Music and TV
I also record Music Video's from YouTube and down load them into my computer and than I play them from the computer to the TV and to the speaker but this system is only Front and Center. so as far as movies go, I hardly watch them, I cut cable Years ago I miss all the music video and I recorded them in HD only thing I miss from cable but not the bill LOL
Thiers a lot of Dramatic Range in Denon AVR in just 2-stero or 3 w center
(I don't have or need a Subwoofers, never liked them But I guess for movies its a different story)
Anyway
sounds very nice music man!!!
i too play everything through the tv....i am hook on chromecast....i chromecast to the tv from spotify, youtube, vlc, etc....
and then through a bypass hub via fiber optic cable to the preamp/amp setup....the bypass hub also has a blue tooth receiver/transmitter...where i can play bluetooth into or listen on my headset from the bypass hub....

my newest tv has built in chromecast...but, there is one drawback....with that chromecast...you have no volume control on your stereo audio output...
just the preamp....with the chromecast dongle....i can control the volume without touching the preamp....most of the time, cast to the dongle so if a phone call comes in or something...i can cut the volume without running for the den....that piece of schiit does not have a remote...
but, even if it did...i would not carry it around the house....just in case i needed to cut it down...lol

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
sounds very nice music man!!!
i too play everything through the tv....i am hook on chromecast....i chromecast to the tv from spotify, youtube, vlc, etc....
and then through a bypass hub via fiber optic cable to the preamp/amp setup....the bypass hub also has a blue tooth receiver/transmitter...where i can play bluetooth into or listen on my headset from the bypass hub....

my newest tv has built in chromecast...but, there is one drawback....with that chromecast...you have no volume control on your stereo audio output...
just the preamp....with the chromecast dongle....i can control the volume without touching the preamp....most of the time, cast to the dongle so if a phone call comes in or something...i can cut the volume without running for the den....that piece of schiit does not have a remote...
but, even if it did...i would not carry it around the house....just in case i needed to cut it down...lol
Its all Good. what ever works But..... lol

George S.

I have a Lenovo S30 with a 4K video card that provides video to a big Samsung curved 4K flat screen over a HDMI cable. I do not use the HDMI sound.
The Lenovo provides digital audio over a USB audio cable to a Schiit Modi 3 DAC. The DAC is connected to the Aux Input of a upgraded Phase Linear 2000 S2 preamp (thanks to all here who helped me with the upgrades).
The preamps output, (all inputs, Phono, Aux, Tuner, Tape) goes to a MiniDsp 2x4 active crossover, which is also connected to the Lenovo with a USB cable for configuring it.
The MiniDsp is configured for stereo sub duty, by a software plugin on the Lenovo. Many different plugins are available. Once configured, a computer is no longer required, but I keep the USB cable connected.
The MiniDsp has two inputs from the preamp, and 4 outputs (2x4).
The MiniDsp drives two WOPLs.
I also run a optical cable from the big Samsung flat screen to the Schiit Modi 3 DAC. The wife has some internet TV shows she likes to listen to on the system rather than Samsung speakers. Just takes a change in the Samsung's sound menu and moving the input switch on the DAC to optical "in".

Attachments

gene french

Tagline
I have a Lenovo S30 with a 4K video card that provides video to a big Samsung curved 4K flat screen over a HDMI cable. I do not use the HDMI sound.
The Lenovo provides digital audio over a USB audio cable to a Schiit Modi 3 DAC. The DAC is connected to the Aux Input of a upgraded Phase Linear 2000 S2 preamp (thanks to all here who helped me with the upgrades).
The preamps output, (all inputs, Phono, Aux, Tuner, Tape) goes to a MiniDsp 2x4 active crossover, which is also connected to the Lenovo with a USB cable for configuring it.
The MiniDsp is configured for stereo sub duty, by a software plugin on the Lenovo. Many different plugins are available. Once configured, a computer is no longer required, but I keep the USB cable connected.
The MiniDsp has two inputs from the preamp, and 4 outputs (2x4).
The MiniDsp drives two WOPLs.
I also run a optical cable from the big Samsung flat screen to the Schiit Modi 3 DAC. The wife has some internet TV shows she likes to listen to on the system rather than Samsung speakers. Just takes a change in the Samsung's sound menu and moving the input switch on the DAC to optical "in".
my new definition of cool!!!
i too use a modi dac....
do you really need a sub??
very nice george of the jungle!!!

George S.

No, really don't "need" the subs, but they definitely augment the main speakers for movies. I also enjoy German electronic music and they really shine. Klaus Schultz, Pete Namlook, the Norwegian Geir Jenssen "Biosphere", used a lot of the very low frequencies. They do give the 700 WOPL a little workout, more than any other music or movies.
Have to say that I have them mostly for electronic and ambient music first, movies second.
I'm a big fan of playing electronic ambient music while working in the garage, napping in a comfortable chair, or reading. I want to hear what I can and feel the sound pressure of the low frequencies. But no boom, boom, boom. The subs have to be integrated with the mains. The beauty of the MiniDSP.
I run Ethernet to the Lenovo and Samsung. Turntable is a appx 1973 AR-XB I bought new and miraculously still have.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
i dont know why i still pay for the sky satellite...a company out of mexico...i believe related to directv...or used to be....
the only time it is used is when marias kids come to visit and watch the soccer matches....god forbit they miss a game...
lol
Get ya one of those C band dishes and a GTmedia satellite receiver. Azteca is on 99W and there's a bunch of other Mexican TV on 113W. All in the clear and free. I like to watch the boxing on Azteca sometimes.....

George S.

Kyle, what's a good site to learn more about free satellite TV, or how to get it free. I'm googling C band dishes and that receiver now. What's 99W?

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
What's on what satellite:

https://www.lyngsat.com/america.html
https://www.tvrosat.com/cgi-bin/portal_charts.cgi

Forums:
https://www.tvrosat.com/
https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/

I'd suggest starting out with an Amiko Mini 4k UHD S2X because they're easy to use. The GTmedia receivers have features that would get you banned from most Free To Air satellite Forums.

I have a 8.5' spun aluminum buttonhook dish from the early 1980s with an older than dirt JGS linear actuator, had to modify it to get the declination right. I got a C2PLL LNBF from Titanium Satellite, A Vbox positioner, an Amiko Mini 4k UHD S2X receiver, And a GTmedia V9 Prime receiver.