Nick Danger's Yamaha M80 Amplifier Repair/ Restoration

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
My offer was not conditional upon payment.

You do need to find the time to bring it to me in Parker. :)

I'd be happy to take a look gratis with the understanding that I'm going to be awful busy Q4 with work and travel and it may take me a while to finish it up.

PM me on AK for my e-mail unless I already gave it to you. We'll make contact through that.
Cheers, Russ! Never a hurry for me and will PM you for your addy. I am in Parker on Mondays, usually a.m. and can bring her by at that time. Appreciate you taking on this project for me and look forward to another face to face with a Phoenix member.

Nick Danger

Thank you, Russ!

I had the opportunity to meet Russ(brutal) the other when I dropped off my Yammie M80 for him to look over for me. Really kind kat that has a wonderful collection of JBL speakers and Yamaha gear. Rockin' work bench, too(drooooooool)!!!!!!!!! I will post pics/ vid of some of his collection later this week. He has a sweet little pair of of JBL's that are looking for a new home and will get pics posted of those soon.

Nick Danger

No worries, my man! When you have time, you have time. Hope you staying warm and cold and always nice to hear from you. We have a member here that is looking for a Yammie T 85 tuner- don't suppose you have an extra in your stash?

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Wow, Russ, that's what is called floor-to-ceiling decorating. The only Yamaha gear I have is a CR-420 receiver and a CA-800 integrated amplifier.

Nando.

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
Looks like he has a C-2 preamp in that stack, second rack from the left.
:occasion5: Fully reconditioned and recapped C-2a

That rack has a few dbx units, a C-2a, T-2, A-1, M4 (missing is the C-4), and a PC5002M. Also a B-2x and one of my M-2 amps.

There's a bunch bt a set of T-70/C-70/M-70, a T-80/C-80/M-80, an MX-1 and a PC4002M.

I had around 100pcs of Yamaha at one time. Downsized to around 40-50 now. :D

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
Wow, Russ, that's what is called floor-to-ceiling decorating. The only Yamaha gear I have is a CR-420 receiver and a CA-800 integrated amplifier.

Nando.
I had the whole lineup at one time, top to bottom.

Kept just the TOTL mostly and sold the rest.

Still have a CA-2010, CA-1010, CA-1000, CR-3020, CR-2020, CR-1020, CR-1000, A CT-1010, CT800, CT600. Never had a CT-7000...

Kept some low end rare black faced Canadian models cause I like to look at em. They all sound good.

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
No worries, my man! When you have time, you have time. Hope you staying warm and cold and always nice to hear from you. We have a member here that is looking for a Yammie T 85 tuner- don't suppose you have an extra in your stash?
No T-85 here. Had a line on one last year on CL, but the guy flaked out (moving sale.) Hell, I LOST one of my C-4. I think I mistakenly sold one too many. Or I loaned it out and forgot to whom.

I put the M-80 on the bench today. Pulled the krusty/green bus bars and swapped out a few caps already. Finished the cleanup after I pulled them. You did a great job otherwise. There are two jumpers I'm going to swap for some thicker wire. Have to order the 1000uf/100V as I don't have any here.

Need to find the time to put a list together to make sure I have everything else. I have some KW series I could put in place of those missing black gates in a pinch, but I'd like to see if i can find FG or KZ instead for those.

The amp was working before the teardown? Just want to know what I''m up against.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Looks like brutal was a telephone man...no Stromberg Carlson X-Y switcher?

That's quite a conflagration!

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
Looks like brutal was a telephone man...no Stromberg Carlson X-Y switcher?

That's quite a conflagration!
In a former (Military) life, I was a microwave radio technician, hence my dangerousness with a soldering iron. However, those relay racks came from an IT client data center move out. Got em free! Would have gotten more, but their telco/wiring guys snatched most of them.

Nick Danger

Get her all fixed up ?
Sounds like Russ is getting ready to take a crack at her once work slows up a bit for him and more parts are procured. How goes it in your neck of the woods and thanks fer checking in!

Last edited:

Nick Danger

No T-85 here. Had a line on one last year on CL, but the guy flaked out (moving sale.) Hell, I LOST one of my C-4. I think I mistakenly sold one too many. Or I loaned it out and forgot to whom.

I put the M-80 on the bench today. Pulled the krusty/green bus bars and swapped out a few caps already. Finished the cleanup after I pulled them. You did a great job otherwise. There are two jumpers I'm going to swap for some thicker wire. Have to order the 1000uf/100V as I don't have any here.

Need to find the time to put a list together to make sure I have everything else. I have some KW series I could put in place of those missing black gates in a pinch, but I'd like to see if i can find FG or KZ instead for those.

The amp was working before the teardown? Just want to know what I''m up against.
Thanks for the progress report. Please let me know what I owe you for parts and I will get you some loot. Amp was working 100%, just wanted to get out ahead of any issues that the glue may have caused me down the road.

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
I got ambitious over the weekend after a gruelling yet unproductive emergency work week in Dallas.

Pulled the busbars and cleaned/polished the green sticky gross crap off. I betcha Mr Legendary doesn't do that. :la:

Replaced a few of the missing components and got the order into Mouser for all the new small value 'lytics. I was able to source FG series Nichicons for everything. Picked up some KW's to replace the 1000uf/100V pair. I will save all the pulled parts, including the old dried out Blackgates. :D It''s only around $25 in parts Nick, don't sweat it for now.

Should have this M80 running for you again soon.

Now, as to my sick and busted MX-2000, I might need to reach out to the collective on AK to get that running, so stay tuned there Dave. More parts due in for that, had to reach out to B&D Enterprise to source the Toshiba audio transistors... Have a current draw somewhere that's smokin parts and I need to figure out how to track it down without shotgunning or causing more parts smokage.

Last edited:

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
Well, shit.

I hate it when this happens. I put a few more parts in that I had on hand, and pulled a few more for cleanup that still looked sickly. So I discover a missing cap - one that was hiding behind a transistor I pulled and is part of the later serial number and TSB66H mods that are not shown in the schematic, and can't locate a spare here.

So... another order for a 1.50 part and $5 shipping... argh

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Well, shit.

I hate it when this happens. I put a few more parts in that I had on hand, and pulled a few more for cleanup that still looked sickly. So I discover a missing cap - one that was hiding behind a transistor I pulled and is part of the later serial number and TSB66H mods that are not shown in the schematic, and can't locate a spare here.

So... another order for a 1.50 part and $5 shipping... argh
Sorry that she is being so moody, Russ. Let me kow if you need some cash as I will be in your neck of the woods tomorrow and would be glad to stop by to get you some.