Nick Danger's Yamaha M80 Amplifier Repair/ Restoration

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
It's alive and well.

PS voltages are good. Bias voltages are good.

The only issue I cannot correct is the Class-A bias is higher on one channel than the other by about 10mV (107mV/95mV). Class A/B they are both dialed in @15.5mV.

It's done except I still want to pull the faceplate and recap the half dozen 'lytics that are on the meter PCB.

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Cheers, Russ! Appreciate your help on this one and will give you a call in the next day or so. Maybe I can swing by next week when I am in your neck of the woods and we can shoot the breeze.

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
Crazy how quickly the copper oxidizes- I cleaned them a few months ago during the initial teardown!
What kind of solder are you using?

There seemed to be an excess amount of residual flux. I also cleaned all the crevices well and cleaned the through hole in the PCB before reassembly. One of the pulled transistors also had lots of flux on two legs.

I probably should have it the bus bars with the lacquer spray like I've done for others, but didn't think about it before reinstalling them. I think they'll be OK now.

Last edited:

Nick Danger

What kind of solder are you using?

There seemed to be an excess amount of residual flux. I also cleaned all the crevices well and cleaned the through hole in the PCB before reassembly. One of the pulled transistors also had lots of flux on two legs.

I probably should have it the bus bars with the lacquer spray like I've done for others, but didn't think about it before reinstalling them. I think they'll be OK now.
Kester with some paste flux.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Man, I remember dropping off a blown up M-80 at a local auction a few years ago. Found it and the matching preamp in a damp cellar. Both powered up but neither worked. Good to see your getting your monster back Doug

Nick Danger

Cheers, Ron. Perfect timing, too as I noticed a hum comin' from my WOPL's power supply today and it will need to be pulled from the system to figure out the issue.:wink:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have a low frequency hum also but I can't do anything about it since this is my main amp. I only hear it when a source is not playing and it does not get any louder with volume increase. I only hear it in the speakers, not the chassis. I am wondering if the fault is in the nest of wires in back of my stand so I can't fault the amp yet