Nick Danger's Yamaha M80 Amplifier Repair/ Restoration

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Cheers, Ron. Perfect timing, too as I noticed a hum comin' from my WOPL's power supply today and it will need to be pulled from the system to figure out the issue.:wink:
Heard through the speakers?
Nope.

Nope, just the amp itself.
An audible vibration from the chassis?
Yup.

Turns out I had a bad outlet on my power strip- plugged WOPL into different outlet and voila.

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Cheers, brutal!

The Yamahoarder crushed the "DSGB" on my amp.....and then some. Originally, I had intended to just have the components that were affected by the adhesive used for manufacturing. Not Russ, no, no, no. Not only did he replace all the affected bits, but he repolished all the busbars and laquered them(WOW!), polished the aluminum heatsinks, upgraded trim pots, complete recap, touched up some dings in the faceplate........

Thank you so very, very much for hooking me up so super- phatty!!!!!! Owe you one, fo sho. Gonna rip her apart in a few to install a pair of 5- way binding posts and will get ya'll some nudies shortly.

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
Sorry again it took so long to get done. It's somewhat of a stress reliever for me from work (when they cooperate) and work's been just too much to get away from the last few months.

Not a "complete" recap as we don't have a source for the PS filter caps, but it did get a thorough Nichicon FG treatment on the main board. The meter board and PS boards were also done.

Unlike the (still) sick MX-2000 in the background, yours was a cake walk.

We got a scare when Nick came over, I hadn't turned it on after redoing the busbars again and decided to put it on the DBT, forgetting that these Yamaha X-Power supplies won't turn on with a DBT unless the outputs are pulled.