Nick Danger's Yamaha M80 Amplifier Repair/ Restoration

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Checkin' in, boys. Been a loooooong week for me and I have not been able to get any progress completed on the M80 as of late, but I hope to have the board cleaned up a bit and the bus bars looking pretty by Sunday. The autos need a little attention the next couple of day and then I hope to get a bit more work done on the Yammie.

Then the real crying can begin.........

Nick Danger

Bus Bars

Got the bus bars looking a little bit better:

Going to start cleaning up the boards a bit more tomorrow and hope to know what components I will need to aquire for this repair.

Nick Danger

Cheers. I ended up using Hope's copper cleaner/ polish that was applied with my Dremel and a polishing wheel. It's crazy how nasty that glue becomes. The corrosion actually etched the copper a tiny bit.

Nick Danger

Jumper Question?

Do you folks make your own wire jumpers or do you buy them from one of the electronics suppliers?

NavLinear

Do you folks make your own wire jumpers or do you buy them from one of the electronics suppliers?
You can make your own depending on what type of jumper you're referring to. If it is a jumper on a circuit board you can use bus wire with Teflon sleeving or bus wire that comes with insulation from the manufacture. The gauge is dependent on what you intend to jumper.

Nick Danger

You can make your own depending on what type of jumper you're referring to. If it is a jumper on a circuit board you can use bus wire with Teflon sleeving or bus wire that comes with insulation from the manufacture. The gauge is dependent on what you intend to jumper.
A while back I picked up a resistor "grab bag" on ebay for a couple dollars. Thats what I use for jumper wires. I just snip the leads off the resistors.Use the leads and shit can the 50megΩ resistor.
Thanks for the info, gents. Looks like there are 2- 3 at first glance that are corroded badly and need to be replaced.

brutal

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Yamahoarder
A while back I picked up a resistor "grab bag" on ebay for a couple dollars. Thats what I use for jumper wires. I just snip the leads off the resistors.Use the leads and shit can the 50megΩ resistor.
This.

Actually, I generally save the cap leads after installing them and use them for jumpers as needed.

Nick Danger

Going smoothly until Murphy showed up.

Affected components have been removed and glue cleaned from top of board. Lots of chipping, picking and tweezing:

Flux cleaned off backs of most of the boards:

All parts neatly arranged on sheet of paper with locations labeled for easy replacement and then about a 25 MPH gust of wind came along.......

Uncontrollable sobbing to begin in 3, 2, 1......... Time to sit back before I do something rash.

Nick Danger

Tragedy averted! Referred to some before pics and I think I have everything back in their appropriate piles again. I think......

Any thoughts on the part number of this?:

I am coming up with A180J, yes, no?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast