New member drug out a 700 and was sent here :-)

PhilcoFord

New Around These Parts
Disco Ball is much prettier than this gnarly old amp :) I noticed the channel that is ok only works with the switch in Direct, looks different than the others with 4 inputs jacks, what's withe the second pair? Need to send a pic of that. Did someone paint this to avoid studio glare or wtx . . . phase linear front.jpg phase linearserial.jpg

PhilcoFord

New Around These Parts
the amp on the bench in the video was a Model 14 aka 1/2 of a Model 15, here is my latest score, a super rare Philco TPA-1. Dad gave me an amp like this for Christmas like a toy hooked up to do something while we lived in Mexico City from ~1955-57. He was sent there to manage a start-up metal portable tv line . . . moved to Sunnyvale ~4/57 My toys didn't survive the move and I've never gotten over it! JW Miller & Philmore crystal sets IIRC? and a philco tube type record player in parts lol IMG_2379.jpg IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_2378.jpg IMG_2362.JPG TPA-1 Amp.png IMG_2379.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Disco Ball is much prettier than this gnarly old amp :) I noticed the channel that is ok only works with the switch in Direct, looks different than the others with 4 inputs jacks, what's withe the second pair? Need to send a pic of that. Did someone paint this to avoid studio glare or wtx . . . View attachment 37614 View attachment 37615

Now THAT is some battle damage...... Jer can get you on the right track. He's The "Master Of Disaster" (so to speak). I think he has resurrected worse...

Wayne

New Around These Parts
welcome to the forum site. I'm a newbe too. I've just finished rebuilding an old PL400 with the help of this forum and of course White oak boards,
Lots of things to learn but great bunch of tech.
Happy Holloween !
Wayne

PhilcoFord

New Around These Parts
Thx Wayne, I'll be on that soon after I figure out why I am only passing a muted signal through the Marantz 14/15 I just recapped and replaced the output transistors and two driver to base of the output resistors, DC balance is good but must have screwed up something on the input stages :-(, and get the new F-6013 Sansui 5000A driver boards I just got from Perry aka WOPLSniffer installed- however I have been known to jump from one project to another at will! lol Happy Halloween to all you folks as well! Apparently me and my 700 are just "Too Old" for WOPLing :-(

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Welcome, very nice to see an original 700 with a second chance at life! Looks like that faceplate was painted over. Reminds me of Jer's Dune style faceplate for my old Blackie 400

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Thx Wayne, I'll be on that soon after I figure out why I am only passing a muted signal through the Marantz 14/15 I just recapped and replaced the output transistors and two driver to base of the output resistors, DC balance is good but must have screwed up something on the input stages :-(, and get the new F-6013 Sansui 5000A driver boards I just got from Perry aka WOPLSniffer installed- however I have been known to jump from one project to another at will! lol Happy Halloween to all you folks as well! Apparently me and my 700 are just "Too Old" for WOPLing :-(
You never too old for more power, it helps as our hearing is fading away,