New Gear House

nelsress

Journeyman
So, the little 400 and those ESS's get along?? Keep some air movin over those heatsinks in a cab like that...
Getting along famously Lee, yes! So far the "little 400" is running cool, amazingly enough. To put it in perspective though, my ears are only about 8 feet away from my speakers, ten at the most so I'm not needing to drive it too hard. Yep, these AMT 1B's make for some phenomenal near field monitors!!! :)

I ended up getting the Walsh 2's last Sunday and the next day sent the drivers in a can up to John at Ohm. They were impressive given they were doing some buzzing, enough that I felt it necessary to have them brought back up to spec and give them a serious listen. Not nearly as good as the ESS big boys but respectable.

I'm sitting here on my electric massager listening to Dr. John Plays Mac Rebennack-must be a night for piano!!

Yeah, Levon is one in a long line of many great songs by Sir Elton, he's certainly put out some amazing music over the years. Madman Across the Water, Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Chateau are probably my favorites but hell, they're all pretty damn good. I'm not a big one for soundtracks as a rule but I like Friends a lot, never heard anything about the movie but the music's good.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Madman......is the one album i could Karoke to.....I've sung it a thousand times...my ears are only 12 feet from my K's....

nelsress

Journeyman
I'm always surprised to see so many pictures of cats sitting on gear. I never let any of my cats near my stereo!
What about this Kitty?
Your kitty can park it anywhere she wants, I don't care what Dazen1 says!!! :) I'm not sure what kind of cats they have in England but not letting cats "near" ANYTHING requires a separate room with a door, in my experience!! Now I can get a dog to do or not do pretty much what I want but a cat, not so much. They're smart and understand but look at it more like a guideline, all rules seem to be situational to them. They know I'm constantly telling them to "get down" from certain areas but they either don't care or are thinking, 'well, it might be okay in this instance'-probably the former.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's a nice-looking stereo cabinet, Nelson. You've made it more usable with the mods you've done to it. Casters are a great idea, especially, for moving the cabinet around to access the back for connections. I see you run a dbx 3BX. Could you give us a run down from top to bottom of the gear in the cabinet? Is it an Empire turntable?

Nando.

nelsress

Journeyman
That's a nice-looking stereo cabinet, Nelson. You've made it more usable with the mods you've done to it. Casters are a great idea, especially, for moving the cabinet around to access the back for connections. I see you run a dbx 3BX. Could you give us a run down from top to bottom of the gear in the cabinet? Is it an Empire turntable?

Nando.
Hi Nando, thanks, I'm pretty happy with the setup. Housed in the cabinet are, from top to bottom: the DBX 3BX you identified-it has been completely overhauled; Dynaco/Panor tube preamplifier; Granite Audio CD player (both tube and solid state but I only use the tube circuitry); an Empire 298 turntable that I restored a year or so ago; a WOPL 400 sounding good and still breaking in; and in the bottom section, a Marantz 115B tuner. Currently I'm running the ESS AMT 1B speakers that you can see one of that have been redone with new ESS factory woofers, passive radiators, Heil AMT diaphragms and I recapped and replaced resistors in the crossovers. The grills are waiting to be covered with fabric that a friend of mine offered to do for me, I should be dropping them off with him either this weekend or next week sometime.

I heard back from John Strohbeen from Ohm Acoustics this morning and he said there was nothing wrong with the drivers and probably what I was hearing was all the deteriorated foam vibrating on the tweeter so that's an easy $40 for them to diagnose them, replace the foam and repaint the cans. I'm anxious to listen to them again. I also have the Infinity RS IIIB speakers out in the shop that I restored a couple months ago that I was going to audition with the WOPL 400.

Dazen1

Veteran and General Yakker
Alright, the pull out turntable shelf, door for the top section and casters all arrived today and I went and picked them up and spent hours this evening disassembling it to reassemble it in its new configuration and then transferring all the gear from the old cabinet into the new one. I'm tired, parched, have a headache but I'm finally done. Here's a couple shots of it all...
Worth the effort.

Looks good.

I never let any of my cats near my stereo!
What about this Kitty?
Purrhaps I can make an exception just this once...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks for the details, Nelson. A very competent system you pulled together. Everyone who knows me here for a long time is not going to be surprised at my next question. Where's the cassette deck or open-reel deck?

Nando.

nelsress

Journeyman
Thanks for the details, Nelson. A very competent system you pulled together. Everyone who knows me here for a long time is not going to be surprised at my next question. Where's the cassette deck or open-reel deck?

Nando.
Sure, no problem, happy to share. Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. Funny you should ask that Nando. I've got a Revox A77 that I plan to restore but haven't gotten around to it yet. My favorite turntable is in the shop for a new tonearm cable and check up, it's a Technics SL-120 with an SME 3009 Series II improved tonearm with a Shure V15 Type III cartridge. I'd like to have a good cassette deck but (a) I don't know where I'd put it and (b) high quality cassette tapes are no longer being manufactured.

NavLinear

Sure, no problem, happy to share. Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. Funny you should ask that Nando. I've got a Revox A77 that I plan to restore but haven't gotten around to it yet. My favorite turntable is in the shop for a new tonearm cable and check up, it's a Technics SL-120 with an SME 3009 Series II improved tonearm with a Shure V15 Type III cartridge. I'd like to have a good cassette deck but (a) I don't know where I'd put it and (b) high quality cassette tapes are no longer being manufactured.
You can still find good quality cassette NOS tapes online including forums such as Tapeheads, AK and many others. This forum was initiated (as I understand it) to promote the Phoenix Tape Line - another reason was to have a forum that allowed members more freedom in posting including those that were banned from some of the more popular forums. I doubt that Nav babes would go far in a other forums that I participate in.

Put a cassette deck on top! :tongue10: On top of what I'm not sure.

Nick Danger

National Audio Company still has NOS BASF/ Emtec chrome tape available at a very nice price.

nelsress

Journeyman
Thanks Nav and Nick, good to know if I find a deck and a place to put it. Last night after coming home from the bar I decided to do something with the bottom of the cabinet so I took a power conditioner I got a while back at a local auction and adjusted the shelf on the bottom so I could put the tuner on it with the PC on top. Then I had a space perfect for albums so I grabbed a few from my collection and put them in there. It looks a lot more finished but doesn't clear up where a tape deck(s) might go. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it

. salamander 703 001.jpg salamander 703 002.jpg salamander 703 003.jpg