New Gear House

nelsress

Journeyman
We've been keeping our eye out for a quality cabinet for my gear that also is aesthetically pleasing to my wife. When I showed her some of the Salamander stuff she seemed to like it more than most. Ten years ago or so I had a custom cabinet made but got carried away in a big way as far as dimensions vs. our living room and though it was beautiful and I took a huge hit on it, I passed it along to a very close friend at about a third of what I had in it.

Anyway, last night while searching through some of the craigslist listings I came across a Salamander Synergy Model 703 cabinet in a listing entitled "electronics". It had some nice gear and this for $300 so I contacted him and today after work we went to check it out and it followed us home. I plan to get a door for the top section and a couple shelves as there aren't any in the bottom section, none of which is particularly cheap but when I looked it up and found that just the frame and the shelves, if it had all six shelves that it normally comes with, would have run about $1700 new so I'm feeling fortunate. Looking forward to "housing" my new WOPL 500 in it soon!

Attachments

nelsress

Journeyman
Pieces and parts

Today I ordered a door for the top section (I went with the perforated metal like the bottom), a set of casters (two lock) and a pull out shelf for my turntable. They said it would take about 3 days (+or-) so I hope to be able to pick them up on Wed or Thur at which time I can beginning setting it up with gear. I have to wait until I get these parts as I've got to partially disassemble it to get the door on. Now to get the WOPL 400 ready to take its place!

nelsress

Journeyman
Nice

but with cats that want to climb and lay on stuff, especially if it's warm, and an old house that sometimes seems like it's a dust factory and the dust that comes with our pellet stove, I can't really make an open shelf system work. That's why I opted for the door on the top section. I wanted to go glass but my wife liked the perforated metal better. It is a nice look so I went along with her. I told her I like to look at the gear and she told me to open the door whenever I wanted to do that!! :) Bless her heart!

They are quite sturdy Dazen, one of the things I like about them, plus the fact that the shelves are infinitely adjustable and they have nice options available and look pretty nice, to us at least.

Dazen1

Veteran and General Yakker
but with cats that want to climb and lay on stuff, especially if it's warm, and an old house that sometimes seems like it's a dust factory and the dust that comes with our pellet stove, I can't really make an open shelf system work.
I'm always surprised to see so many pictures of cats sitting on gear. I never let any of my cats near my stereo!

The dust issue is something I can identify with. As far as I'm concerned, dust is bad news.

On an unrelated note, my observations when comparing photos of systems on UK & US forums is that you guys across the pond seem more inclined to be a little more sympathetic when it comes to integrating gear within your living space. A lot of UK systems seem far more conspicuous and tend to look unsightly (unless they are located in dedicated listening rooms).

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You came to mind when I hit the submit button Kev.......as one who would comment on it.....

nelsress

Journeyman
Alright, the pull out turntable shelf, door for the top section and casters all arrived today and I went and picked them up and spent hours this evening disassembling it to reassemble it in its new configuration and then transferring all the gear from the old cabinet into the new one. I'm tired, parched, have a headache but I'm finally done. Here's a couple shots of it all set up, except the tuner, it's just being stored in the bottom section for now as I seem to have run out of room up top! I suppose I could always run it from down there, I don't use it that much anyway, just enough that I don't want to be without a tuner. I'll think on that some more. The shot on the left is with the doors open, obviously and the one on the right with the doors closed. The perforated steel door panels look better in person and aren't quite as see-through as they appear in the pics.

Salamander Setup 003.jpg Salamander Setup 004.jpg

nelsress

Journeyman
Yep, gotta agree there Nelson. Nice lookin rack too Bud...
If Nav had a nickel every time he's heard that on this board, well, he'd have a lot of freakin' nickels!! Thanks Lee, I'm happy with it. Now I'm going back in the living room with a big glass of water and a cup of coffee and listen to another CD. Just finished Madman Across the Water, I think an album might be in order on second thought, gotta go browse the collection. Later.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
So, the little 400 and those ESS's get along?? Keep some air movin over those heatsinks in a cab like that...

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
Alright, the pull out turntable shelf, door for the top section and casters all arrived today and I went and picked them up and spent hours this evening disassembling it to reassemble it in its new configuration and then transferring all the gear from the old cabinet into the new one. I'm tired, parched, have a headache but I'm finally done. Here's a couple shots of it all set up, except the tuner, it's just being stored in the bottom section for now as I seem to have run out of room up top! I suppose I could always run it from down there, I don't use it that much anyway, just enough that I don't want to be without a tuner. I'll think on that some more. The shot on the left is with the doors open, obviously and the one on the right with the doors closed. The perforated steel door panels look better in person and aren't quite as see-through as they appear in the pics.

View attachment 19839 View attachment 19840
WOPL+ ESS AMT1's= Magick.:wink: