New build for shop system

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Hey guys, I’ve been crazy busy with work, moving transport truck loads of tractors and shop stuff half way across Canada and... upgrading the shop stereo. There’s a bit of ulterior motive in this as I plan to religate the existing shop speakers to the house “man cave” and finally set up my indoor system with the vintage gear powered by the PL-400. I’ve also had my Pioneer RT-707 repaired, the Michell turntable is in the works restoration wise (lid and feet were missing/not original), I’ve sourced a belt, stylus for the Shure V15 as well.

So the shop system has plenty of commercial amp power, it uses 4 amplifiers and an active crossover. Two sub woofer amps and separate amps for left and right stereo channels. I’ve always thought my deep low frequency response wasn’t quite where I wanted it to be (4x15” drivers), so I added two 18” drivers pictured below. I was so impressed with the improvement I planned to build more. The drivers I used were Peavey Lo-Max 18” and they were a bit pricey... just after building these cabinets, I built a car subwoofer for a friends daughter on a budget. We used Rockville 12” subs at about $35 each... it sounded so good I ordered 6 of their 18” subs at ~$110 Canadian each delivered. I figured worth a shot at that price. Also with a total of 8 drivers powered by the two sub amps, each driver in the system now only sees 600w/rms so I don’t need massive power handling speakers. There is much more to be gained by cone area as opposed to adding power.

Here’s some photos of the lo-max build, the boxes are 8 cubic feet and tuned to 33hz as per Peavey’s recommendation. I did have to lengthen the ports by about 3” to bring the resonant frequency down to 33hz even after careful measurements of displaced volume by bracing, ports and the driver itself. The Rockville build will be next, they don’t recommend any enclosure design specs only supply T/S parameters. After running the numbers they show an optimum box being something like 50 cubic feet for two drivers! I’ve worked that down to a more manageable size of 20 cubic feet for two drivers and will be a nice flat response when tuned to 26hz. By the modeling software they should reach down to 20hz at -3db or so. There will be three boxes built @ 20 cube with two drivers each for these.

I should mention that both the Peavey and cheap Rockville’s are almost 100db/wm and both are over 90db @30hz whereas the speakers I am replacing are barely 60db at 30hz peaking in the 90db range only around 60-70hz. This should be a big improvement low response!

Attachments

Miracle Mile

"Turn that jungle music down, 'least until we're outta town..." -D. Fagen

Babylon Sisters...

:thumbup:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Here’s a few pics of the prisma (totally apart). It’s going to a custom plastics fabricator tomorrow to have a reproduction lid made based on photos of the same model (the complete pic is one one of the sample pics). There were four holes drilled on n it for rubber feet and the lid was removed/lost. I plan to make original style stainless feet and a prop rod also. I don’t have any pics of the workings, but it has an SME tone arm with it.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
And some pics of the big move last time I was home. More to go still! My parents are and moving east so we’re moving all my fathers shop stuff also...

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Well... we crossed Lake Huron today and absolutely got our sh*t pushed in. Dirty weather out there today. Tossed the engine room, galley and fridges are a mess too. Can’t wait to be done with winter sailing.

Found a few pics of the prisma parts also.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Been thinking what to do to make best use of things... decided to take down all the yellow circled cabinets to use in the house (will need some finish work and paint still). the hanging 15” cabinets will get a 6” mid and conical horn compression tweeter (red marks). These will run ~100hz and up, the 18” cabinets will run 100hz and down. I’ve also ordered new capacitors to repair some three way crossovers I blew up a while back. Then ordered two more of the cheap 18” for the shop for 8 total. Now I’ll build 4 marching cabinets at ~20 cube each for those. Quick panel layout is looking like at least 13, 4x8’ sheets of 3/4” MDF, more if I double face the speaker board which I probably will.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Thanks! It’s not too bad really. Most were bought cheap and restored by my father, uncles and I. One I paid a bit for, on par with what someone might spend on a nice used car so nothing too crazy. Most times it doesn’t take a lot to restore them if you do the work yourself. Here’s a vid of the “rare” one I bought last fall. This one is in original condition and will be left as is other than mechanical needs. It’s a fun beast to drive or even just watch run!

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
What does the dripping oil under the glass cover lubricate...valves?
The EPA will love this... That is the lubricator for the entire engine, it's a total loss system. It oils the mains, rods and cylinders (everything else by hand with oil can), the crankcase doesn't have a sump like a regular engine. The oil is used once through the engine then flows to the final rear drive gears to lube them. Procedure in the manual is to drain the spent oil from the rear drive gears on the ground once a week, flush with kerosene, then drain that on the ground...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
This hasn't even been a bad year for ice but its all clogged up here in the straits. I hear there's word of my relief coming within a couple more trips so looks like I'm on track to head home around the end of the month, hopefully we're not delayed too much!