New build for shop system

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
No, I had borrowed an OLD ass hand held sine wave generator. Super basic, dial with RCA outs. I have an app on my phone but I don’t really think it’s signal quality is too hot.

One cabinet mocked up for the most part. Just sorting out details and then going to make a cutting list for the other three. That’s ay each cabinet will end up with the exact same internal bracing/volume reduction.

These bastards are HUGE...

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Weak pile of bracing... I think there’s gonna be 10lbs of screws in these when I’m done...

I’ve got a list going of parts, we’re going to make sure this one goes together good then cut and number everything as many parts are only different by 3/4”... it’s possible a
Couple got messed up... possible...

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
This one is ready for sine wave testing. Tomorrow I’ll bring one of my commercial amps and the second speaker over. Just one speaker sitting in the hole with a board over the other she has a deep tone with a gentle tap on the speaker... sounding promising.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Just ran a frequency sweep on the first cabinet. It’s really hard to tell visually, I almost think my extra port length has me tuned lower than the 20hz my phone app signal generator can go. I really need a series resistor and read the resonance with my multimeter. Now where the heck can I find a 5-10ohm 10w resistor in bumble-eff nowhere, on a Sunday?

Going to carry on cutting the bracing for the rest of the cabinets today and fine tune after.

Attachments

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Just ran a frequency sweep on the first cabinet. It’s really hard to tell visually, I almost think my extra port length has me tuned lower than the 20hz my phone app signal generator can go. I really need a series resistor and read the resonance with my multimeter. Now where the heck can I find a 5-10ohm 10w resistor in bumble-eff nowhere, on a Sunday?

Going to carry on cutting the bracing for the rest of the cabinets today and fine tune after.
You Tube has a video test for that, I don't have the link right now but it goes from 0 Hz and can do some possible damage if you don't pay attention to volume.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
There’s Trever cutting the last piece. Other than a little trimming that’s all the wood done. Ended up using 10 sheets almost exactly. Have half a sheet left but used a couple quarter sheets from the lo-max build. Not bad waste wise either. Not really enough for a little camp fire!

Speaker lubricant break now.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Ran some numbers and the 11” port comes in at 21hz which is probably why I couldn’t get to resonance. I left these two ports long so I could sneak up on the theoretical 9” for 26-28hz. Tonight I’ll cut them down and keep testing. Also going to try to find a suitable resistor rather than test visually, it’s hard to tell with larger speakers/cabinets and at the level you need to input to see the cone move, I think trevers shop might fall down...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Picked up two 10 ohm 5w wire wound resistors. They should work fine in parallel for this testing.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Got recruited to help fix buddy’s vintage sled. Old arty cat JAG 300. Broke a piston skirt by the looks of things. Not even sure my sunnen home will go small enough... I’ve seen chainsaws with bigger pistons!

Attachments