Nakamichi 480 (I've been a bad boy!)

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Jeez 'Derek', so sad to hear of you being up the creek without a paddle.
I've actually heard about that problem you're having.
Who woulda thought?????
The rubber, was 'treated' with minuscule amounts of Dot 4 Brake fluid, allowed to soak in. Brake fluid has a rubber rejuvenating additive and is an old trick used to restore drying foam, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Well it worked. You just have to be extremely careful that you don't get it on anything else, as it's highly corrosive too!

Damn, it's already after 4pm.....
.... better make some breakfast.
:confused2:
What!!!!!!! Breakfast at 4 - isn't that a bit early?

I did a minor mod to your quote though - I didn't add anything tho...

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
The hard part is being able to find a supplier for those missing bits that will supply without having to put an order in for a 100 of each. (they're starting to get that way these days)
25 Capacitors for $5.25 including postage (minimum order). Price is good there, I'm happy and will be even happier when the Nak 480 is recording again, it did that so well, better than the 3 head JVC!

The JVC is running hot today, recording tape after tape of the Rolling Stones vinyl albums, so is the Beta Hifi and the PC @ 24/96. Need to get these vinyls done so I can borrow some more. The owner likes how he gets backup copy in return especially when played on the my Thorens, he likes the sound of it. Some of his records get a very good cleaning too if needed, have impressed him a few times with how good they look when returned, some look scratched but are just a little dirty.

Other than that been sorting tapes and working on a better system to access them, instead of having to move a lounge chair each time :laughing9:

derek92994

Tagline
The JVC TD-V661 3 head machine needed a good run anyways, it has been feeling lonely since the Nakamichi 480 arrived. The JVC takes ANYTHING I throw at it and records well on ANY tape. Outstanding machine considering its not the "heavy" type build quality. Dynamics wise it does not have as much low end as the Nakamichi however when its recordings are played back on the Nak or Denon DR-F7 they sound stellar. My Nakamichi BX-1 has been running most of the day too transferring tapes to my 2nd pc so I can re-use them at a later date (running low on tapes, even ferrics), saving for this WOPL :toothy10:

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Yo, 'Derek', do you have a service manual for the 480?
If you need one, i got one. i don't remember where i got it from, but I could try to email it to you if you need it.....
(it's about 7.6Mb)

derek92994

Tagline
Yo, 'Derek', do you have a service manual for the 480?
If you need one, i got one. i don't remember where i got it from, but I could try to email it to you if you need it.....
(it's about 7.6Mb)
Thanks 'George', Yeah email it if you could please. I do have one but I misplaced it on my drive. Cheers Big Ears =)

pennysdad

Tagline
I can't help noticing that the price of 'above average' cassette decks, are starting to get pretty 'above average' prices nowadays.....

Things are going to get real expensive soon.....
..... and I just can't afford it. :(

derek92994

Tagline
I can't help noticing that the price of 'above average' cassette decks, are starting to get pretty 'above average' prices nowadays.....

Things are going to get real expensive soon.....
..... and I just can't afford it. :(
I noticed that on Gumtree, its like they all jumped up in price simultaneously. I think people are getting desperate to make a buck these days. Thrift shops and dump recycle markets have people lined up at the door to snatch the supposed "good stuff" and will even fight over the stuff, pathetic. I'm the kind of guy who turns up there 3 hours after its opened and just cruise on through. If I score something nice it was meant to be, otherwise, big deal, it was worth a look.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Derek: I will be interested in how the cap replacement goes on your 480. Do you know what other Nakamichi cassette deck models had the same orange cap disease?

Nando.

pennysdad

Tagline
Derek: I will be interested in how the cap replacement goes on your 480. Do you know what other Nakamichi cassette deck models had the same orange cap disease?

Nando.
Nando, from what I've read so far, nearly all of the 400, 500 and 600 series Naks especially ZX ones could have that problem EXCEPT FOR THE 680.

Some extra info can be found here, but it's more to do with the Model 480:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=377723

&

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=18207

BD.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks, as I am intested in a 682 ZX. I know the deck has been serviced, but just not the extent of the sevice. The deck belongs to a friend of mine and he likes this deck more than any other Nakamichi deck he has owned.

Nando.

pennysdad

Tagline
Thanks, as I am intested in a 682 ZX. I know the deck has been serviced, but just not the extent of the sevice. The deck belongs to a friend of mine and he likes this deck more than any other Nakamichi deck he has owned.

Nando.
I've read a bit more just now, and i'm sorry to say it would seem that the 682ZX is also a candidate for replacement of all the orange caps too.... :(

Here's another intense discussion:

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=12712

Last edited:

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Nando, from what I've read so far, nearly all of the 400, 500 and 600 series Naks especially ZX ones could have that problem EXCEPT FOR THE 680.

Some extra info can be found here, but it's more to do with the Model 480:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=377723

&

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=18207

BD.
I have a 680 and it has orange caps.
The LX, RX and BX series has these too (I've recently found an RX-505).
The CR (and maybe DR) series doesn't have orange caps.

pennysdad

Tagline
Quoted from: http://www.nakremotes.com/Geo/Scott_Nak_FAQ.htm

[SIZE=+1]Orange Cap Disease[/SIZE]
What is it?
Orange Capacitor Disease is unofficial name given to the failure of little orange metalized polypropylene capacitors that are used in many Nakamichi tape decks. For some unknown reason these capacitors are very prone to failure and usually result in rustling, crackling or lack of audio in one, or sometimes both channels. When an orange capacitor fails in a tape decks bias oscillator, the usual result is an ability to erase, low record level in both channels and/or a varying of the record level. The ultimate solution would be to go through your deck and replace all the orange capacitors. But, that would require a full electrical calibration. The more practical solution is to replace only the bad cap(s), but, finding the one or two caps that are bad isn't easy. But narrowing it down to the section isn't too bad. The bias circuits and the Dolby circuits are usually the most prone to develop problems.

Which units are affected?
The only Naks that are NOT subject to orange cap disease are ones made before 1978. For tape decks that would be the 250, 350, 500, 550, 700, 700II, 1000 and 1000II. All of the rest are potential Orange Capacitor Disease units.

What are suitable replacement components?
The prefered replacement capacitor are polypropylene because of their sonic qualities, but, polyester or polystyrene have been used with success and no noticeable degradation of sound quality. The replacement capacitors should have a voltage ratings of at least 50 Volts except for ones used in the bias oscillator which should have a rating of 100 Volts or highier.

(Go to the above link for further reading...)

derek92994

Tagline
Good info there George, thank you. Maybe that's why the BX-1 was a bit down in 1 channel when recording. I don't intend on using it much for recording but it might be worthwhile fixing it anyway, playback is perfect and certainly above average for a 2 head single capstan unit. Maybe the dolby/bias orange caps in it are the same rating. May look at that down the track.

derek92994

Tagline
Postage would just kill it, that's if it could survive the trip.
My JVC TD-V661 Deck was shipped from california to australia for around $35. I thought that was a bargain for postage, the deck was packed well and only needed a belt after I used it constantly for a few months.