Nakamichi 480 (I've been a bad boy!)

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Here's a picture of Robert's 682 ZX I may be considering for purchase. He has had a number of choice equipment over the past 20, or so, years. I trust his opinion when he says of all the Nakamichi decks he has owned, this one records and plays back the nicest.

Nando.
I have not had any hands on experience with the 682 ZX but they sure are a nice looking machine. Bet they perform well when serviced and kept in good condition.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
How are you making out on your 480, Derek? I like the silver face on the 480 - it looks clean and uncluttered.

Nando.

derek92994

Tagline
How are you making out on your 480, Derek? I like the silver face on the 480 - it looks clean and uncluttered.

Nando.
Need to make some Playback EQ pot adjustments, and make sure the speed is dead on when compared to my JVC TD-V661, will use a 3hz test tone for that. There are some scratches on the front, but I am a good photographer :laughing9:

derek92994

Tagline
The Nak 480 is Nearly 100%, Playback eq adjustments are done (I suspect there was some head wear in the gap affecting high range response), went through hell trying to find them in the service manual, I am not very good at reading circuit board diagrams, then realized didn't have to do it from the bottom, could go through the top cover. All the components are on the underside of the circuit board, had me fooled. Learning Process. Just have to de-oxit the internal record switch, I suspect it needs this. Speed adjustment done, was a tiny fraction slow, capstan belt looks new with original white marking on top. Will be happy once its in the cabinet nice and neat, will put a pic up when done.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Be careful, Derek. Some say, " Once you have had Nak you might never go back."

Nando.

Last edited:

derek92994

Tagline
Be careful, Derek. Some say, " Once you have had Nak you might never go back."

Nando.
Yep, and I know why that is after experiencing the BX-1 and the 480, the wonderful world of nakamichi sonics (ear candy). You will see the scratches in this photo, but it doesn't bother me being there, its a NAK!

derek92994

Tagline
It would not fit into the cabinet where my other tape decks are, its too wide. I had to remove my akai GXC-325D flat sitting deck to make room for the Nak 480. Best bass response I have heard of any deck, treble is great now playback eq has been adjusted, obviously head wear or electronic component wear. Overall a great result and a nice machine to add to the collection, impressive for a 33 year old unit. Records well but always higher than the VU meters show during the recording so have to be careful of this. Laid down Mannheim Steamroller Fresh Aire 2 on a SA 90 for a test recording, may put a demo up on youtube when I get time. The weekend is over and its time to sleep for work soon. I sure had fun tweaking this unit and learning things along the way :toothy10:

derek92994

Tagline
That RX-505 looks spectacular Nando, top of the range sound quality, dual capstan, 3 head, 4 motors, with REAL auto reverse to boot. How does it perform? Superb I bet! Its so hard to find decks of that quality that play the tape in both directions with equal fidelity. :thumbleft:

Elite-ist

Staff member
The RX-505 is out of service for a modest restoration. Still waiting for a back-ordered part to arrive: a Dolby IC chip. New rollers, belts, idler tire have been set aside until the chip arrives. I used it as a playback deck for a few years before deciding to have it rejuvenated.

Nando.

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
He doesn't say a whole lot.
Glad to hear your Nak 480 is doing the business for you,Derek. They are a really nice deck.
I have a black one that only plays if you push on the the back of the cassette mechanism.
Its had its idler replaced but still needs that extra pressure from the back of mech to work properly.
Bundy & Coke in a tin, whats it like?

Nando, your RX 505 is a beaut!!

derek92994

Tagline
Glad to hear your Nak 480 is doing the business for you,Derek. They are a really nice deck.
I have a black one that only plays if you push on the the back of the cassette mechanism.
Its had its idler replaced but still needs that extra pressure from the back of mech to work properly.
Bundy & Coke in a tin, whats it like?

Nando, your RX 505 is a beaut!!
Where are you putting the pressure? On the idler tire or are you helping the cam move so it can engage into play mode properly? Resurfacing of the cam belt (a light sand then clean with alcohol) can fix mode issues. Also there are two pots at the back of the mechanism below the motor which are cam adjustment specific.

Bundy and Cola is pretty good, the cola could be better quality though. Its just convenient, pre-mix drinks are common here and are taxed heavily.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
A Belated Congrats on the Nak Deck Derek! It sure looks nice and must sound great!

jaetee

Journeyman
I agree with Miles... that's a great album. I have it on 2 x 12" and on CD, plus some of the singles on 12". I also have their 2nd album called "Rhythm & Stealth," but I don't think it's nearly as good as Leftism.

Congrats on the 480. I have a black one here with a clean face, which you can have a parts deck for the price of shipping if you want. I don't need it. Maybe the black face would look cool with the silver buttons? :)

PM me if you want it.

derek92994

Tagline
Thanks for the offer there Jaetee, have PMed you. Yes I very much enjoy that album, discovered it on minidisc when I purchased a player off ebay and was very impressed.

Miracle Mile: Thank you for the nice comment, yes it does sound great, a new dimension of sonics, its a Nakamichi =)

Elite-ist

Staff member
Jaetee has a good collection of notable Nakamichi decks. Derek, you will find that most entry-level 2-head Naks can do a decent job without much fuss. Jaetee is generous and it's your lucky week.

Nando.

jaetee

Journeyman
Jaetee has a good collection of notable Nakamichi decks. Derek, you will find that most entry-level 2-head Naks can do a decent job without much fuss. Jaetee is generous and it's your lucky week.

Nando.

It's a parts deck, and I didn't realize Derek is down under... Shipping to Australia is horrid expensive. Cheapest price via standard mail is around $100. Sorry to get your hopes up.

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Hi, very nice deck, one of the bests "low end" Naks.
I have three 48x: a black 480 that works fine, a nearly mint black 482 that needs a new capstan motor (high w&f after one hour of pb) and a silver 480 in worst cosmetic condition than this one and that eats tapes (the previous owner has disassembled the pinch rollers for re-lube them but he has wrongly reassembled & realigned them).

derek92994

Tagline
It's a parts deck, and I didn't realize Derek is down under... Shipping to Australia is horrid expensive. Cheapest price via standard mail is around $100. Sorry to get your hopes up.
I didn't realize you put that postage cost in here, PMed you, I really need to put the money towards the Phase Linear Amp intended purchase in the future. Thank you for the Offer anyways =).