Micro (Seiki) BL-91 restoration

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I went back to the beginning to look at that cartridge - is it a V15 of some iteration? I'm no longer up on my later Shure cartridges or JICO styli, so I'm just guessing here. I'm wondering how one of the larger Denon MC - or a Shelter - catridges would sound on that arm.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
VN-35-HE which I believe is a “modern” 15, with a hyper elliptical stylus.

Jico stylus’ are available in several flavors.

Due to cost, I’m thinking (essentially) a direct replacement in the form of the Jico HE.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It’s about half the price of a nude HE here in the states or in Japan, so, yes, I had to go to Germany to get it.

If I get along with it I’ll certainly try a SAS boron or ruby cantilever. But I want to try it out first.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
And that’s the last piece of the puzzle to listen to this thing. I think I can even throw on the Kenwood headshell for “hot swapping” to the A-T cartridge.

I am planning to get another Micro headshell but the “X” version, with coaxial leads, are a bit harder to find as well as a bit more expense.

I’ll probably sell my modded Rega but keep the arm since it drops right into the Micro adapter- same spindle to pivot distance. (Unless that ends up better than this?) Or at least test it out… maybe just keep the cartridge, although I need to check the wear on it. Fortunately we have a half dozen high power microscopes available.

My plan with the Rega was to offer an upgrade kit to add the constrained layer sub plinth but that kit is going to retail at about $2200.00

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Just the stylus. And it’s nearly 100 after VAT and shipping.

That cartridge new (used, usable) is not an insignificant expense, and still held in high regard over at VE. Plus I have the Benz-Micro silver I’ll try out on here if it’s not shot. I’m thinking a B-M glider would be nice, and I have the preamp to do it justice now…

Baby steps.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That’s about what the Benz Silver goes for. I think it’s a sweet spot for bang for the buck.

But the Benz is a moving coil so you have to exchange the cartridge when it’s worn.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
There are a few people over at VE whom I trust the opinions of. One has the Benz-Micro Silver and his observations align with mine. But he has access to a lot of other things I don’t, so he’s sort of my surrogate ears for some things.

That A-T 95 ML is a pretty nice cartridge for the price of a stylus. I’m happy with it and feel it would not be outclassed on the MA-505 arm. I have the Sure body, so why not give it a whirl? That’s what was on this BL91 and MA-505 combo. Maybe it was the hot setup!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Man, you guys go through a whole bunch of bullshit just to get a record spinning. I chose the Ortofon 2M Black, installed it, and never looked back. It sounds awesome, and I play only mint albums on it. I see these yo-yo's rolling tubes, flipping carts and if they spent as much time sitting still and listening to what they are playing instead of trying to be the Big Kahuna know it all's........ Oh well.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I agree. And I don’t see the point of a multi-thousand dollar Van Den Hul or other esoteric cartridge. One slip and the cantilever is gone…

Regardless of the record condition, and mine hover around the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Mostly.

I want to get my main rig up and running again which means my son will have access… big buck cartridge an seven year old equals disappointment.

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
Got a few Benz in a box somewhere got them from a friend in Florida who died last year gonna try the VPI scout which has Benz this week not a TT guy just hate the headache setting up the cartridge