Melos MA-222 Tube Preamp info needed

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
My friend is dropping off a tube pre and was wondering if anybody has seen one of these. A manual or 2 would be nice but have not been able to find one. I can wing it but would rather not. Thanks

Melos MA-222

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I know of the brand but no useful info beyond that. Nothing on Hi Fi engine?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I know of the brand but no useful info beyond that. Nothing on Hi Fi engine?
Nothing anywhere. Word is, when they went under, all the documentation and everything else tangible was confiscated and was later sold to an unnamed buyer.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Nice.

That's a proper failure for a company.

Actually, Counterpoint wasn't much different, but at least the authorized repair techs had documentation that is somewhat able to be gotten.

Maybe try that route?

HPM 200

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
This may be who you are looking for, this is off Audio Karma

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/who-still-owns-melos-tube-gear.866272/page-2

zamboni99
lorne said:
A LONG STORY SHORT
Melos was a sort of eccentric brand that was the brainchild of one man (AFAIK). But, he filled his production facility and lab with excellent people — some of whom relocated and continued for a time to service broken units after the Melos company went into receivership. They did so without engineering data, schematics and other drawings because all documents went as part of the receivership. Years later, these came up for auction. By chance I spotted this opportunity; I had the idea to bid on the collection. Alas, baby needed new shoes and so on, and I let it go. Now, it seems all the stuff is lost.

LET"S STICK TOGETHER ON AK
Info, data and repair/restoration solutions are very sparse and rare. But, as for those of us who love our Melos stuff, I think we'd go the extra bit to keep these pieces alive. I for one am a long way from being able to afford anything as good, better or more versatile than my GK 1+1 preamp.

I think we should identify and introduce ourselves and share information and solutions. I have some stuff regarding the GK preamp series scattered around AK that could be collated here. If I see there are a number of us interested, I'll do just that and hope that a common effort can begin to create a comprehensive resource.

Best .... Lorne​

Lorne
I am the one that bought Melos documents and boards. I still have all the folders and some bare boards. All the schematics were hand drawn . I have built one of the amp both point to point and on pc board. Yes there were no engineeing drawing just hand written materials and typed manuals.The docs for most of preamps are in collection.
Lets connect

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thanks, I saw that and as the others that tried to get in contact with him failed, I tried also...... It was almost 4 years ago.

I got the unit in and opened it up.... Holy shit, the previous guy who worked on it did a fine job of screwing the Power Supply up. He cut the wires on one channel, and jumpered the power to both sides, removed components, and generally messed it up. Without skizmo's or other members with the same unit, I'm trying to finger out if it's repairable. Once I told the owner what I was looking at, he told me I could dispose of it as I see fit. Here is what I saw when I took the cover off the power supply. It sux that there is no documentation on the model.

Melos MA-222B.jpeg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
This may be who you are looking for, this is off Audio Karma

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/who-still-owns-melos-tube-gear.866272/page-2

zamboni99

A LONG STORY SHORT​
Melos was a sort of eccentric brand that was the brainchild of one man (AFAIK). But, he filled his production facility and lab with excellent people — some of whom relocated and continued for a time to service broken units after the Melos company went into receivership. They did so without engineering data, schematics and other drawings because all documents went as part of the receivership. Years later, these came up for auction. By chance I spotted this opportunity; I had the idea to bid on the collection. Alas, baby needed new shoes and so on, and I let it go. Now, it seems all the stuff is lost.​
LET"S STICK TOGETHER ON AK​
Info, data and repair/restoration solutions are very sparse and rare. But, as for those of us who love our Melos stuff, I think we'd go the extra bit to keep these pieces alive. I for one am a long way from being able to afford anything as good, better or more versatile than my GK 1+1 preamp.​
I think we should identify and introduce ourselves and share information and solutions. I have some stuff regarding the GK preamp series scattered around AK that could be collated here. If I see there are a number of us interested, I'll do just that and hope that a common effort can begin to create a comprehensive resource.​
Best .... Lorne​

Lorne
I am the one that bought Melos documents and boards. I still have all the folders and some bare boards. All the schematics were hand drawn . I have built one of the amp both point to point and on pc board. Yes there were no engineeing drawing just hand written materials and typed manuals.The docs for most of preamps are in collection.
Lets connect
See above.... Thanks for helping me though.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Gotta love the purple wires he used for power AND ground. He also yanked the female 6 pin connectors off the pre and the PS and cut the corresponding males off the cable just to tie in some purple stuff. Trying to find the correct 2 sets of connectors will be a chore. All he left was the washers electrical taped into the bundle.

HPM 200

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Thanks, I saw that and as the others that tried to get in contact with him failed, I tried also...... It was almost 4 years ago.

I got the unit in and opened it up.... Holy shit, the previous guy who worked on it did a fine job of screwing the Power Supply up. He cut the wires on one channel, and jumpered the power to both sides, removed components, and generally messed it up. Without skizmo's or other members with the same unit, I'm trying to finger out if it's repairable. Once I told the owner what I was looking at, he told me I could dispose of it as I see fit. Here is what I saw when I took the cover off the power supply. It sux that there is no documentation on the model.

View attachment 79358
Yes, it can be very challenging getting information and the correct parts especially for vintage equipment , luck plays a big part I think.

last year I picked up a NIB set of Sansui A - 603 input transformers off the net for my AU-111, I found them on the first search attempt on google, couldn't believe my luck.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yes, it can be very challenging getting information and the correct parts especially for vintage equipment , luck plays a big part I think.

last year I picked up a NIB set of Sansui A - 603 input transformers off the net for my AU-111, I found them on the first search attempt on google, couldn't believe my luck.
Finding/spec'ing parts is the easy part, if you don't have documentation/skizmo's, yer screwed.

HPM 200

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Finding/spec'ing parts is the easy part, if you don't have documentation/skizmo's, yer screwed.
Apparently Mark Porzilla, currently chief design engineer at Nova Physics was the designer of all Melos Audio electronics . here are links ect. below

His linked-In page
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-porzilli-35380626

https://markporzilli.com/pages/about-mark-porzilli

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for the delay in, at the least, acknowledging that I received your emails which obviously I have.

Thank you for writing and for your loyalty to my work. I was the designer of all Melos Audio electronics for the entire 20 years of it's existence and losing it, seeing it go out of business was like having a family member die. We were very proud of the work we did there and we learned a great deal from our mistakes, particularly with respect to reliability.

In any event, if you've not yet seen the link, on "The Memory Player's" website is a not yet connected link to what will become;
The Melos Audio Support Center.

We plan on literal new Melos designs on identically sized circuit boards such that the old board may be removed and the new Melos circuit "dropped in" your existing Melos gears chassis.

This will prove by far to be the most economical direction for most people as opposed to servicing a damaged/old circuit board in that most Melos failures are due to circuit board foils 'arcing' to other foils or overheating ruining on board components. Foils now 15-20 years old peeling from heat and just general use over the decades.

We will have new, truly edge of the art NEW MELOS DESIGNS. I am designing an UPGRADE for EVERY Melos Audio product and model so anyone who owns "an old Melos" piece will have the opportunity to get edge of the art designs instead of repairs.

Genuine NEW, Melos Audio designs installed into the original chassis. And these new designs created and implemented by what will be:

"The Only Authorized Melos Audio Support Center in the World".

Exciting new designs such as;

Pure triode replacements for FET or MOSFET transistors in the present circuit,
Triode and Teflon Capacitance Multipliers replacing slow & colored electrolytics,
State of the art components like High Atomic Number Film Resistors and Polypropylene Capacitors with FOIL-ONLY or even TEFLON / FOIL capacitors*

*"Teflon" although the latter are extremely expensive, we will offer them as well.

Staggering detail & enormous dynamics with unheard of lack of coloration & incredible speed yet even sweeter as it assimilates a "giant Teflon capacitor" where electrolytics once were.

"Still, they remain true to their musicality & "Melos Sound" that might have been why you bought it in the first place! We are the ONLY authorized facility and the original designer is ever mindful of "The Melos Sound" at all times."

Most Melos designs with the exception of digital designs are not dated in the sense of topology. What has improved since the originals is parts quality and that, in concert with higher current and voltage abilities and tolerances,even in circuit boards, new topologies and MUCH improved heat distribution should ensure years of faithful service.

We are so certain of this that these "Upgrades" will come with a conditional 5 YEAR parts & labor warranty.

I believe the balanced designs will be so nearly perfected that distortion and noise in Line Preamps and our Phono Preamps will nearly be negated. In addition we will need no feedback and as described above, the "Teflon Capacitance Multiplier" power supplies may be the cleanest, fastest and least colored tubed power gear has ever enjoyed.

We here all very excited about bringing Melos Audio back to the fore where it belongs. It was at one point, the # 3 tubed audio manufacturer in the world.

To that end, with good chassis, GREAT transformers and truly edge of the art new designs for EVERY Melos product in the works, we feel that there will be no better sound for the dollar than an upgraded Melos Audio amp,preamp,headphone amp or tubed digital product.

Again I do apologize for the delays but I must confess, there are 14,000 Melos customers worldwide and if you are on this list, I've just gotten to you this week!

The Melos Audio Support Center is scheduled to reopen in the Winter of 2009 in Los Angeles, California, USA.

We will alert you as progress or delays occurs and please feel free to write with individual questions. I am getting closer to answering you all personally & I thank you for your incredible patience.

If you received this by mistake. You are not on repetitive emailing list and will only be written once more to answer the specific question you asked. If you are concerned about SPAM, please reply with REMOVE in the subject line and we'll delete you from the system.

So thank you again for waiting. With an "authorized" support facility opening, expect the value of even broken Melos gear to rise dramatically. We even plan on submitting some of these new works for review. These new, radical designs will bring your Melos gear to a level that will need not apologize to any high end audio gear in that price range & in some cases, your "new" Melos will compete with the very finest in the world.

Thank you again for your waiting and I will try to answer everyone in this grouping very soon.

Sincerely,
Mark Porzilli
Chief Design Engineer:
Melos Audio LLC
Pipedreams Loudspeakers ( formerly, originals only, pre-Nearfield Acoustics )
Nova Physics Group/Corporation ("The Memory Player")
Scaena Loudspeakers Incorporated

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Apparently Mark Porzilla, currently chief design engineer at Nova Physics was the designer of all Melos Audio electronics . here are links ect. below

His linked-In page

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for the delay in, at the least, acknowledging that I received your emails which obviously I have.

Thank you for writing and for your loyalty to my work. I was the designer of all Melos Audio electronics for the entire 20 years of it's existence and losing it, seeing it go out of business was like having a family member die. We were very proud of the work we did there and we learned a great deal from our mistakes, particularly with respect to reliability.

In any event, if you've not yet seen the link, on "The Memory Player's" website is a not yet connected link to what will become;

We plan on literal new Melos designs on identically sized circuit boards such that the old board may be removed and the new Melos circuit "dropped in" your existing Melos gears chassis.

This will prove by far to be the most economical direction for most people as opposed to servicing a damaged/old circuit board in that most Melos failures are due to circuit board foils 'arcing' to other foils or overheating ruining on board components. Foils now 15-20 years old peeling from heat and just general use over the decades.

We will have new, truly edge of the art NEW MELOS DESIGNS. I am designing an UPGRADE for EVERY Melos Audio product and model so anyone who owns "an old Melos" piece will have the opportunity to get edge of the art designs instead of repairs.

Genuine NEW, Melos Audio designs installed into the original chassis. And these new designs created and implemented by what will be:

Triode and Teflon Capacitance Multipliers replacing slow & colored electrolytics,
State of the art components like High Atomic Number Film Resistors and Polypropylene Capacitors with FOIL-ONLY or even TEFLON / FOIL capacitors*

*"Teflon" although the latter are extremely expensive, we will offer them as well.

Staggering detail & enormous dynamics with unheard of lack of coloration & incredible speed yet even sweeter as it assimilates a "giant Teflon capacitor" where electrolytics once were.

"Still, they remain true to their musicality & "Melos Sound" that might have been why you bought it in the first place! We are the ONLY authorized facility and the original designer is ever mindful of "The Melos Sound" at all times."

Most Melos designs with the exception of digital designs are not dated in the sense of topology. What has improved since the originals is parts quality and that, in concert with higher current and voltage abilities and tolerances,even in circuit boards, new topologies and MUCH improved heat distribution should ensure years of faithful service.

We are so certain of this that these "Upgrades" will come with a conditional 5 YEAR parts & labor warranty.

I believe the balanced designs will be so nearly perfected that distortion and noise in Line Preamps and our Phono Preamps will nearly be negated. In addition we will need no feedback and as described above, the "Teflon Capacitance Multiplier" power supplies may be the cleanest, fastest and least colored tubed power gear has ever enjoyed.

We here all very excited about bringing Melos Audio back to the fore where it belongs. It was at one point, the # 3 tubed audio manufacturer in the world.

To that end, with good chassis, GREAT transformers and truly edge of the art new designs for EVERY Melos product in the works, we feel that there will be no better sound for the dollar than an upgraded Melos Audio amp,preamp,headphone amp or tubed digital product.

Again I do apologize for the delays but I must confess, there are 14,000 Melos customers worldwide and if you are on this list, I've just gotten to you this week!

The Melos Audio Support Center is scheduled to reopen in the Winter of 2009 in Los Angeles, California, USA.

We will alert you as progress or delays occurs and please feel free to write with individual questions. I am getting closer to answering you all personally & I thank you for your incredible patience.

If you received this by mistake. You are not on repetitive emailing list and will only be written once more to answer the specific question you asked. If you are concerned about SPAM, please reply with REMOVE in the subject line and we'll delete you from the system.

So thank you again for waiting. With an "authorized" support facility opening, expect the value of even broken Melos gear to rise dramatically. We even plan on submitting some of these new works for review. These new, radical designs will bring your Melos gear to a level that will need not apologize to any high end audio gear in that price range & in some cases, your "new" Melos will compete with the very finest in the world.

Thank you again for your waiting and I will try to answer everyone in this grouping very soon.

Sincerely,
Mark Porzilli
Chief Design Engineer:
Melos Audio LLC

Does his write-up give you an idea as to what's up???

"The Melos Audio Support Center is scheduled to reopen in the Winter of 2009 in Los Angeles, California, USA".

I been there, read that. Thanks guys. These guys are not replying, or doing shit. One of the main guys died here a few years back. There is no Melos repair facility anymore. They lasted about as long as Melos.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

His linked-In page

Hello Everyone,

Sincerely,
Mark Porzilli
Chief Design Engineer:
Melos Audio LLC
When did he write this??

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
When did he write this??
Nearest I can tell, when he is talking about opening soon in 2009, it's been quite a while. Besides, they won't give up any info. You have to send the unit in for "Upgrades" and they don't sell any parts. My email went unanswered. I was thinking about designing new boards for the power supply. The owner of one had different boards compared to mine. He had 2 separate boards for the PS. Whadaya think Joe?? Pretty basic but with no skizmos it can be a PITA.

Melos MA-222B custom.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
When did he write this??
I tried several times to message him. Even went to MarkPorzilli.com and messaged him.

I could probably spec out an Ebay Power Supply to work. The "Butcher" lifted pads and removed parts and the board is a bit charred but it would be repairable if I had a schematic. Maybe I'll pull the PS board and reverse engineer it. I hate to just part it out or toss it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The 6.3VAC for heater voltage is easy but I don't know what the other 2 or 3 voltages are. I'm definitely NOT a Tuber......

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Anybody ever built one of these power supply boards for a tube pre??? I guess I'd need a bare board (or 2) with adjustable V-out. Damn Cina boards!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Nearest I can tell, when he is talking about opening soon in 2009, it's been quite a while. Besides, they won't give up any info. You have to send the unit in for "Upgrades" and they don't sell any parts. My email went unanswered. I was thinking about designing new boards for the power supply. The owner of one had different boards compared to mine. He had 2 separate boards for the PS. Whadaya think Joe?? Pretty basic but with no skizmos it can be a PITA.

View attachment 79380
Looks pretty basic Perry.