Meet "Val" PL 400 series 1, SN 171xx

Cleaning up the cooling fins, the middle fins popped off. Looked to be epoxied together with bare metal to metal contact. Can I JB weld it back together or reassemble with thermal paste?

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Just won a "wounded duck" . Said channel A no output, channel B distorted output, and some mods that will need to be put right....this hobby is a bit addictive...:oops:
lolololol
i never noticed....
i was watching that one also...but i had to refrain....
lololol

Back when I started this project, I disassembled the transformer. The back cover plate was rusted and peeling paint so I peeled the data foil off the back. I've cleaned up the cover and spray painted it. Now I'm wondering if it's possible to get a new reprinted data foil or just put the old one back as best I can? The old data foil glue is dried out and paint is still sticking to it so if I have to, what's the best way to clean and re-attach it?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Back when I started this project, I disassembled the transformer. The back cover plate was rusted and peeling paint so I peeled the data foil off the back. I've cleaned up the cover and spray painted it. Now I'm wondering if it's possible to get a new reprinted data foil or just put the old one back as best I can? The old data foil glue is dried out and paint is still sticking to it so if I have to, what's the best way to clean and re-attach it?
3M high strength 90 spray adhesive will probably hold it.

Cleaning with isopropyl should work but be mindful of the printed side as it may remove stuff you don’t want removed.

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
3M high strength 90 spray adhesive will probably hold it.

Cleaning with isopropyl should work but be mindful of the printed side as it may remove stuff you don’t want removed.
snap a good pic ...if worst happens you can print a very close replica....

George S.

Goo Gone to clean the back side of the foil. Once clean, clean again with alcohol and let dry. Then a thin layer of rubber contact cement on both surfaces to be joined. Allow the contact cement to totally dry, then carefully position and press it on, smoothing it out. The contact cement must be allowed to dry before joining the pieces. Excess cement can be be rubbed off.
Might want to mask off the surface of the bell with blue painters tape to make placement of the cement and foil more perfect.

Attachments

Iso alcohol took the stickiness out of the adhesive and cleaned off the nicotine on the face of the foil, but that was all.
Goo Gone gets round 2.
Started the build, I'll take some pics this weekend.