Maybe some Martin Logans for the stu this year!!

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Damn John and Steven, ya'll are EVIL :angryfire:!! I still love ya's tho! The shippers are a small quality firm from New Orleans and they got a miss communication from the seller and failed to call my home landline and used Johns cell # instead, he was working down in Nogales and...blah,blah, blah, I had to work tonight and told them bring them 1st thing tomorrow, they agreed on 10am - 2pm, so I'm on pins and needles till then...

I'm not giving them a tip if I find any booger residue on my lovely ML boxes!!

My expectations are it's going to be above and beyond anything I've heard before, even with the little SAE A202, I'm sure I'll be calling for more power, I've been waiting to be able to have these bad boys for many years and I come from the school of get your transducers first and upgrade the front end as you can. You can't hurt a speaker by underpowering/underqualityingly (stu's word of the week) driving it. In fact you really can't hurt a newer Ml speaker clipping the amp even at high levels, seriously they are that bomb proof! Please see my post in Heads Up for something really special!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If you are constantly clipping a low power amp into a set of speakers you are constantly feeding them DC. How does that NOT hurt them?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You can pretty much use an powered amp with any speaker within limits. You don't want to clip the amp and you don't want to send your drivers to the max or min excursion points but other then that you are probably ok.

I know useless to point that on in this forum as youz guyz love to crank your systems. :toothy5:

That said it looks like Craigs ML's are having the bases coarsly sanded in the video that Steven posted. :happy3:

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Hey stuwee - ya know you got to let the Martins sit in their crate for 10 days to get acclimated to the AZ desert air!

stuwee

If you are constantly clipping a low power amp into a set of speakers you are constantly feeding them DC. How does that NOT hurt them?
I can't find the article, but I've read several times it has something to do with how the voltage is applied to the stators that move the panels. DC already?? Anyway, you can't blow ML's panels very easily, there must be a safegard in the design some where. Gayle Sanders was an amazing engineer/designer, I bet Stephen knows the answer

That said, I've never clipped an amp playing ML, too much respect. I'm sure it would sound nasty, you just wouldn't hurt them.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I know useless to point that on in this forum as youz guyz love to crank your systems. :toothy5:
pfffft, my CV's waft a 120dB pressure wave in your general direction

I discovered today that I can take the WOPL well beyond anything I have tried before. The needles were completely flat with no flickering at all and I actually almost made it to 2 o' clock on the preamp before I chickened out as it was getting REALLY fucking loud and I was afraid of frying a driver. Not a hint of any weird noise or clipping at all, bass was tight as a snakes ass

Last edited:

stuwee

Woof!! just put John to bed, that took awhile (a common thing when playing 'stats to those not used to them..."Play this, play that!!" they cortle what fun for an ex-dj with new ML's!! Hehe!

So how do they sound? Waaay better than I thought using the tiny SAE amp in the pics :hello1:. Serious fun here at Casa de la stu!! To say I'm hearing things like never before is an understatement, these puppies resolve like nothing else I've heard...midrange masters and walk into the soundstage magic you have to be in the room to understand. And I've just plucked them down...no shit...I'm scared of properly placing them!

And all this with that little amp! God help me I want to hear what the A1001 can do, I have to say John is of the Louder is better crowd, he needs more grip/eyes peeled back sound wise, so I'm glad to have friends here that agree!! :shaking2:

I couldn't be happier with this purchase, I'm 52 and these should last me till my end

It's funny, I've noticed that folks want to dance around Logans, John took a spin with k. d. lang playing, they make you want to play in the soundstage!

speakerlabfan

Tagline
---
Congratulations on reeling those in. Sounds like that magical feeling of hearing favorite music like you've never heard it before.

I listened to a pair of Martin Logans with some newer McIntosh gear at a house awhile back and I think they are excellent speakers with great detailed soundstage. Enjoy!