Maybe some Martin Logans for the stu this year!!

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Aka 'the slabs' per Lee :toothy5:

We all have opinions and favorites when it comes to speakers, many of you know I Love electrostats and Martin Logans above all else. They are not for everyone, they need a big room and monster amplification that is stable in a low ohm load (1.5 ohms on some models) and high current that is extremely fast. I've done some research and was looking at the new flagship models...very,very pricey!! Then the owner of the ML forums offered me his pair of Summits for $5,000, these were the flagship from a couple years ago...a review http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/loudspeakers/65-reviews/650-martin-logan-summit-x.html

I'm very excited to be able to get some 'stats back in my life, my partner John thinks I'm nuts but will tolerate them in the living room (I think they're gorgeous!!!). Still, that's a hellova lot of money for speakers. the room is 16' x 27' which might be a tad small for them and I'll have to get some dedicated/true grounded outlets installed to plug them into. :hello1: :blob8: :hello1:!!!!

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
So you don't need the SAE 2400?? And you have heard a pair of these......right??

stuwee

Hey Lee, I think the 2400 would do nicely, I ran my pair of Sequels with the little A202 which is less powerful at 100WPC @8ohms, never a hiccup or fart from it, the 2400 was a James B. design and much better made. Unfortunately, I've never heard a pair of Summits, they are no longer made and Tucson only has the new models at Best Buy's Magnolia Centers.

My Sequels were made in 1988 and were the first 'curvileaner' series (curved stators for a larger soundstage and bigger 'sweet spot'). Of Course, they improved the panels over the years but they all sound magnificent in the highs and midrange, where the models differ is the integration of the cone woofer to the lighting fast Mylar panel, the Summits have front and a downward firing woofers and were the flagship model a couple years ago. Plus the fact that the head guy of the ML forum has enjoyed them and cared for them (you have to unplug them from the wall outlet for 24 hours and then vacuum the panels once a month) speaks volumes. It's a lot of money, they were $15,000 new and these were a custom from the factory in brushed silver for the edges of the stator frames instead of the usual black seen in the pic on the review link which was a $1,000 option.

My worry is that my room isn't set up to use them as they need to be used, ie;big ass sectional couch and big ass TV placement might not let me enjoy them as I did my old pair in the old house. He's in no rush to sell and I told him honestly that I needed to think about it for a few weeks.

If worse comes to worse, I can get a smaller, lower priced model.

gamve

Journeyman
Hey Craig,
Long time no see buddy. Sorry to hear about you dad.
If it's possible you need to look at the modjeski direct drive amps and some old
acoustat panels. The stats direct driven are in another stratosphere. :)

stuwee

:hello1: Graham, so very nice that you chimed in :bigsmurf: a quick look at the direct amp and stat panels, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58015.0 , very interesting!! Thanks buddy!! It may be a bit more than I can chew right now. Accoustat's are notorious for 'motor boating an amp into the 'magic smoke', IIRC .05 ohms and many other wicked load issue made that design of amp a must have. Damn, I'd love to hear that set-up!!!

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Hey there- good to see you are around- what's shaking stu?

Just a thought, been playing around with one of these crown XLS2500 amps. Wonder how that would do on stats?

stuwee

hey there Stuster!! long time no see! so, i'm taking it you had had to sell off your cherished ML SEQUELs at some time in the relatively recent past?
Yeppers John, that was about 3 years ago and I've never forgot it, those Sequels were the Bomb!

I'm Very happy to say that I'm a new Martin Logan Summit owner!!! I could just shit!! Two 10" woofers driven by a 200wamp for each of them, that's 800watts for the pair! Higher levels of music will soon be my bane!! :violent1: and I can hardly wait!! Pics of these beasts in the stumiester's lair forthcoming...

stuwee

My bank account has been depleted of said funds, they should be shipped out form New Orleans La very soon, I'm listening to the AR Connisure 40T's that Scott aka 'Dingus' gave me in my dark days without speakers...thanks Scott, they will reside in our bedroom system!

You don't know the 40T's? They are a rare 3 way amped speaker, each driver can be driven by it's own ampifier...very, very rare, and very nice sounding clean...

stuwee

You don't own a camera anymore??
I have several, my grandfathers 1950's Contax IIIa rangefinder with Zeiss lenses (worth a whopping $1,500) , a nice old 1970's Konica SLR, my Canon T90 has some severe issues right now, these are old school 35mm film rigs. My partner John gave me an old digital camera that they don't make wire/patchcords to connect to the 'puter with anymore, it does take nice pics. John has his cellphone cam and that's it for now.

I wear glasses with bifocals now, so it's hard for me to use the viewfinders in camera's I still love photography and might get a new digital rig and some lasik surgery (I'm only 52)

Still no word from the sellers on freight ship yet, just as well, I'm working 40 hours this week and can't take any time off, hopefully next week when things calm down a bit after V-Day. I'm working on a playlist for the first day. Obviously full of old favs. I must have the new Shpongle !!!!! Some of the best new tunage I've heard in quite a long time...Thanks Lee for turning me on to that :angel10:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Which camera/cable are you talking about? Do you need a firewire/IEEE 1394 is it?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I have several, my grandfathers 1950's Contax IIIa rangefinder with Zeiss lenses (worth a whopping $1,500) , a nice old 1970's Konica SLR, my Canon T90 has some severe issues right now, these are old school 35mm film rigs. My partner John gave me an old digital camera that they don't make wire/patchcords to connect to the 'puter with anymore, it does take nice pics. John has his cellphone cam and that's it for now.

I wear glasses with bifocals now, so it's hard for me to use the viewfinders in camera's I still love photography and might get a new digital rig and some lasik surgery (I'm only 52)

Still no word from the sellers on freight ship yet, just as well, I'm working 40 hours this week and can't take any time off, hopefully next week when things calm down a bit after V-Day. I'm working on a playlist for the first day. Obviously full of old favs. I must have the new Shpongle !!!!! Some of the best new tunage I've heard in quite a long time...Thanks Lee for turning me on to that :angel10:

Gotta say, it gets a lot of airtime around here...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
What was that guys name in Steve's Stereophile magazine that said buy ANYTHING of Shpongle's??

stuwee

What was that guys name in Steve's Stereophile magazine that said buy ANYTHING of Shpongle's??
I'm pretty sure it was JON IVERSON but, I can't find any ref on that article, I'll try to buy the mag for you, you need that one page framed in your room bud!! And everyone needs that CD...It's one of the few pieces of music that I would not recommend getting the LP of unless you have one of the finest table/arm/cart's on the planet, yeast your said arm/cart is sent skating across the grooves :la:

I enjoyed those many tracks you played me and they are embeded in my inner ear file!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Inner Ear File huh???You too much Bud!! Iverson.....yep, that's the name...Jim and Stephen partied on the trade show circuit for years..

Last edited:

stuwee

estimated ETA is this Tuesday, and I have Wednesday off :blob8: :hello1: :blob8:, gotta work on the playlist!! The first song will Have to be the last I played on the old Sequels and sold them for the new owners..."Spinning Wheel" ~ BSaT....Then? Heheheh!! Pray for the neighbors!

stuwee

I'm going to try to get some shut-eye time, I keep thinking the worst...ripped opened trucks on I-10...shivers!! At least they're insured, what an intoxicating day today will be!!