Maybe it is the start of getting tables set up

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I have always been curious about those older style Thorens, they look so well built. With some TLC they look like they would run forever.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
I purchased my TD 124 in 1970, and have maintained it all these years. New motor bearings, chassis bushings, motor to chassis bushingsupdated the on/off switch,and regular oiling, and it just keeps purring. Eddy current speed adjustment is right on. Mine is a 1957 model (Series I, early S/N), and the originalneon speed indicator lamp is still like new. 4.5 kg (almost 10 pound) main platter and I repadded the outer platter (lift) brake once.
I use it daily, paired to my WOPL'd 700b. I added the SME arm about 1972, and have freshened the internal rubber bushing there twice
(they dry out, and deteriorate). A little TLC is all they ask.
I have the original Ortofon arm, and cartridge tucked away. I refinished the original Ortofon plinth and armboard a few years ago.
The Series I and Series II TD 124's are classics.
TD 124.jpg

Last edited:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
One of the first cl buys of vintage gear for me was a pair of ADS 810 with water damage and a TD-165. What a worn out hunk of crap that tt was. Motor made noise. Ended up parting it out so nothing lost. The ads got a new bottom panel, ¼" hardboard over bondo and other touch ups to make em rectangular and I painted em satin black...ADS 810M (M for Monitor since they were black). Sold em for less than paring them out but didn't lose money. Heard the buyer sold em to a buddy as they were good speakers when I was done. But boy that 165 and some of the other lower Thorens aren't to my liking.

The 125 and 126 are built to last with good solid, heavy top chassis holding the arm and platter suspended and isolated from the lower chassis and plinth. Well built. My 125 has been addressed mechanically with all the stuff it needed. It could use some time on the bench as I throw in the cap kit I put together for it. The 126 came from a seller that said sfrost on ak, a tt repair guy has tuned it up so I haven't worried about it. May just use it.

These two should run a long, long time.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
@ 8991XJ: I appreciate the pictures and words of advice. I picked up the SME 3009 Series II Improved tonearm, last week from Keith. It came with tonearm mounting board, NOS Shure V-15 Type III cartridge with spare stylus, spare SME head shell, spare cartridge wires, Shure test LP and Colton Variscale track force indicator.

20220415_114251.jpg

20220415_114103.jpg

I, also, got an NOS Excel ES-70EX4 4-channel cartridge with spare stylus from Keith.

20220218_142128_(1).jpg

Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
3009/S2 Improved because it has the removable headshell. Fixed headshell is the 3009 Series II Improved. Reason for that name for the removable is because S2 is the part number of the headshell.

Nice bit of kit there. Even has a 125/126 armboard. And of course, boxes for many of the items as I know you go for the goods when you have the opportunity.

Careful with the bolt to attach on side of the phono cable to the arm It is a 6BA if I recall correctly and I had to get them from France off the bay.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks for the tip. I am having a technician do all of the set-up for me to mount the arm onto my Thorens TD 125 MK II turntable. I used him for previous work done to some of my old gear, including cleaning up all the switch controls on my Kenwood KA-7002 integrated amplifier and replacement of the dial bulbs and control switch cleaning of my Onkyo TX-1500 MK II receiver. He remarked after I picked up the KA-7002, "That is a very good amplifier."

Pure Sound, Home/Pro Audio Equipment Service and Repair in Lower Mainland, BC (puresoundbc.com)

Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
He remarked after I picked up the KA-7002, "That is a very good amplifier."
I keep reading that. My first rig was a Sony preamp and Dynaco power amp with a KT-7000 tuner. Reading these comments make me think I should have bought the KA-6000 and upgraded to the KA-7002 when it came out. Coulda saved some coin.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I, only, learned how well-regarded the Kenwood KA-7002 integrated amplifier was deemed, after my bulk purchase. I've read lots about it in the intervening time since getting it.

This is some of the gear, I took home, over a couple of days:

20220415_141651.jpg

Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
This is some of the gear, I took home, over a couple of days:
Yes, I recall that purchase and am awaiting your big reveal thread since you only showed a partial or first load and then the Kennys and then we were ghosted with no further pics, list or separate thread. But we'll keep waiting, not like the gear will look any worse in your care. Of course, we will miss the gear you pawn off on IA consignment sales.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
That 125/SME you set up will be the epitome of a high end turntable from the mid-70s, still viable today. They look great.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Sorry, it wasn't purposeful to delay the big reveal. I admit I was a bit overwhelmed by what I bought and I had already begun giving attention to getting components up to snuff, working-wise. Plenty of this gear sat unused for decades - some never used at all since purchase from new. I have the Infinity WTLC column speakers in for replacement of all the driver surrounds. The speakers should be ready in about two weeks. I doubt any of this gear will make it to consignment - just too nice to let go.

Keith is trying to get me to commit to buying his Marantz Model 500 amplifier and Marantz Model 3300 preamplifier. He doesn't want to pack it all up for when he moves - their house just went up for sale last week.

20220409_115038.jpg
20220409_114922.jpg
20220409_114903.jpg

Nando.