Maybe it is the start of getting tables set up

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I posted the pic of a table I bought in October/November last year in the doing today thread as I finally moved it into the rig

Had to clear the workbench and then go over the table a bit, cleaning, setup and general looking it over. Did that yesterday and today. First of at least 4 tables that need attention.

I'll post em as I get em done. Gotta decide what arm, which table and armboard choices or getting one made.

Main table is down so I can fine tune some armboards I made for it. Backup table is down cause the new to me 126 trumps the 125. Then there is the table two folks in Chicago/S. Wisconsin coerced me into buying. This one is still sitting armless.

I have arms and now have a place to work so maybe I can get another done soon.

Four high end vintage turntables, 3 different arms, 3-4 of one kind and a number of different cartridges.

Find one or two keepers and set up Chris with one. You don't know him but I've mentioned he bought the 901s and Crown PSA-2 for his "dog house" out building. Half loft one side car lift other side, great party tunes.

And I have to listen to the different platter mats, too. Hope they don't make as much difference as they did on the TD-160 Super.

Records are back in the rotation.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Platter mats is (are?) a rabbit hole.

Plenty of reading on VE but I’ll say that cork and leather are both highly regarded.

My micro platter rings like a bell but the original rubber mat totally stops it. I am still on t the fence with spraying the inside of the platter with liquid electrical tape spray to kill the ring, because I’m pretty sure the mat doesn’t actually kill it all…

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
My experience was TD-160 Super with Thorens mat sounded bad, heavy rubberized Platter Matter sounded bass heavy and dead, Marcof GlasMat sounded shrill and the Herbies Way Excellent mat which sounded great in comparison.

New test is the thick rubber, breathable with small holes on top leading to 1/3"flat holes on the underside Kenwood KD-750 mat similar to the stock market for my KD-600. Then the GlasMat, a cork mat and a Herbies. On the 126 and KD-600.

Interesting that the first test was repeated on a TD-125 in a different system and there were very few differences. Mats are very turntable dependent

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Request in the doing today thread for the nail in the BW:
View attachment 63816
Working on learning how to use my camera and got this pic showing the ADC XLM II that came with the turntable-arm The nail is essentially new.
Very nice, got to get moving on my project and the BW I got from Lee. He gave me a Acutex 410E with it and I don’t know much about that cartridge but I think it’s a pretty good one. Just love the simple elegant design of the BW.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Platter mats is (are?) a rabbit hole.

Plenty of reading on VE but I’ll say that cork and leather are both highly regarded.

My micro platter rings like a bell but the original rubber mat totally stops it. I am still on t the fence with spraying the inside of the platter with liquid electrical tape spray to kill the ring, because I’m pretty sure the mat doesn’t actually kill it all…

I have the 25Lb Delrin platter, it don't ring

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Would that require rebalancing the platter ?
Not at the speed (45 RPM max) it spins at. It’s not a horrible idea, if you have dynamic balancing equipment.

When my Kenwood went off the deep end and tried to emulate a dental drill, it was shaking like a junky needing a fix. But it doesn’t shake at all at normal speeds.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
My experience was TD-160 Super with Thorens mat sounded bad, heavy rubberized Platter Matter sounded bass heavy and dead, Marcof GlasMat sounded shrill and the Herbies Way Excellent mat which sounded great in comparison.
Interesting. I own a TD 160 Super, totally stock, and am using the original rubber mat. Arm is SME 3009 Series 2 Improved, in terms of cartridges I have run Ortofon OM10/20, Garrott P77, Signet MR 5.0 Basic, Audio Technica AT440MLa/AT150MLx, and now am running a Shure V-15 Type 3, no complaints about its performance. I consider that with different arms/carts/setups this may be a different story.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
That may be true that different arms and nails will give different results. This means I should specify what was involved. The TD-160 S had a Magnepan arm with a Dynavector 23R. The TD-125 had an Audiomods V with a ZYX Yatra.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Not messing with stuff today but thought I would renew this thread with a discussion of the platter mats that have been tried and what is coming.
We have done the following on the TD-160 Super/Magnepan Unitrac I/Dynavector 23R (and the TD-125II/Audiomods V/ZYX Yatra)
1) The original Thorens mat, regular rubber type mat with raised segmented ring pairs at just under 7" and again at less than 12". The segments are staggered to maintain compression?, or I guess this isn't a piston for whatever reason.
2) The Platter Matter thick softer rubber in an off aqua/blue/green color. Only a sunken area where the label is. Probably close to ¼" thick and heavy
3) The Marcof Electronics GlasMat, a flat sheet of glass 3/16" thick and 11-5/16" diameter with antistatic fabric on both sides. Designed to be used in full contact with the platter and with a weight. This mat is somewhat similar to the Kenwood TS-10F a silicone impregnated ceramic mat that was an accessory in the time of the KD-600/650 turntables and I believe more than a few KDs got the Marcof mats.
4) The Herbie's Way Excellent turntable mat, proper thickness for the Thorens tables as it is available in different thicknesses.

The original Thornes mat, don't know if I will use it on the 126 and the Platter Matter is gone but the next evaluation will be the
Marcof GlasMat
An older Herbies mat.
A cork mat, simply a 1/8" thick sheet of cork that came with the 126
The Discwasher antistatic mat but it is just a sheet of fabric and I probably want a little bit of damping of the platter.
I also have the KD-750 mat which is similar to the KD-600 mat which I have found pics on the web and here it is, small holes top, large holes on the bottom. It is a fairly thick rubber mat. I guess a family pic of all the mats will help when I get them together for the listening session.

600 mat a.jpg

600 mat b.jpg

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Well a college buddy asked about the new tt, the 126 so I got pics of my good tables in different states of not ready for prime time as well as pics of the arms for these tables. I currently have the 126/∞BW/XLM and the SL-1600II/MC30 hooked up so I'm not jonzin for a good table to use. I have also used the 125 for a few years, owned a KD-500/Mayware back in the day and used the KD-600 for a year before the 126 moved in. The 600 was moved out (I left it right where it is, too heavy to be just slinging around) so that I could remove the arm and test fit some armboards I'm making. Table isn't easily used for the fine tuning of these boards in its current position so it will make it to the work bench. But that email with the pics made me think I need to get busy on this.

Here is the fleet of Magnepan arms, KD-600 walnut armboard I made (more in the pipeline) TD-160 Super armboard and three TD-125/126 armboards. Nails are MC-30 Super and MC-10 Super Lotta damn super in that picture. Must have been a popular name for an upgraded chunk of gear back then.

Magnepan Row.jpg

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Since the a/s weight would have been behind the arm in the pic and we would not have seen the monofilament used to hang the weight without blowing up the pic you didn't have to out your missing step. Or maybe this was a test drive before attaching the weight.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Since the a/s weight would have been behind the arm in the pic and we would not have seen the monofilament used to hang the weight without blowing up the pic you didn't have to out your missing step. Or maybe this was a test drive before attaching the weight.
Lets call it a test drive :evil4: