Looking to upgrade to horns

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Thanks guys for the comments.... Got the T nuts installed on the baffles for the woofers and one baffle glued and screwed to the frame. The mounting screw holes on these rockville woofers are to small for 1/4-20 bolts so I will need to enlarge them. I was routing the last lewon piece when the bearing on the router bit sized up, cased a bit of damage to the baffle but will be easy to repair so need to get a new router bit to finish of routing the cab edges after it is all put together.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
We always had spare bearings on hand because we used acrylic templates for pickup openings and rear control cavities, and a seized bearing would melt them and make a mess...

Leave the bearing in oil when not in use; wipe it dry it just before to keep the excess oil off the wood. Run the rpm as low as possible; fast as necessary, to cut clean.

Mist the cutter with oil after cleaning in acetone to remove any pitch.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
We always had spare bearings on hand because we used acrylic templates for pickup openings and rear control cavities, and a seized bearing would melt them and make a mess...

Leave the bearing in oil when not in use; wipe it dry it just before to keep the excess oil off the wood. Run the rpm as low as possible; fast as necessary, to cut clean.

Mist the cutter with oil after cleaning in acetone to remove any pitch.
Thanks for the tip, I don't know a whole lot about routers, hardly ever used one. The one i have I bought used over 20 years ago at a thrift shop for $15 it's a cheepy B&D all plastic, no metal nothing, no speed control it is either on or off, but hey it is getting the job done.

Really likeing this Altec thing.... look at these sweet A7's, these things are so efficient it only takes about 30W a channel to drive them

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Thanks for the tip, I don't know a whole lot about routers, hardly ever used one. The one i have I bought used over 20 years ago at a thrift shop for $15 it's a cheepy B&D all plastic, no metal nothing, no speed control it is either on or off, but hey it is getting the job done.

Really likeing this Altec thing.... look at these sweet A7's, these things are so efficient it only takes about 30W a channel to drive them
In 1970 I was 17 and bought a 2nd hand pair of A7-500's and not long afterwards, moved into a house with two roommates. The only amp was my Heathkit AA-32, 8 WPC tube job and the cops were at the door frequently from neighbours across the street complaining.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I have always had speakers that loved a lot of power... I'm finding this high efficiency thing very cool, like making a 4 cyl honda go 250mph on 90 hp

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have always had speakers that loved a lot of power... I'm finding this high efficiency thing very cool, like making a 4 cyl honda go 250mph on 90 hp
My Cornies have like 107 dB Sensitivity and I like not having to beat the hell out of an amp to make the house rock. Some don't mind beating on their amps but not me.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I only beat on my 400's...the 700's beat on my speakers..
I ran my stock PL wide open all the time, I also ran my wopl wide open all last summer when it was in the shop, but the stock PL right channel let go and the wopl is in the house now connected to my little bose 301's so it is on easy street now, thought it is just to nice of an amp now to be out in the grungy dusty shop. If I had a 700 I would not have a problem opening it wide open as well, but that was with my old speakers... these altecs are just loud without a lot of power to drive them you could easily do serious hearing damage with these things

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Here are some pics to show where I am going with these. I sprayed a bit of black on the baffle, that will be black and revile/trim pieces will be gun metal gray to match the 816's, they will also have carpet and the aluminum angle trim around the edges. I already fabricated the trim corner pieces to match the 816's as well....
bs28.JPG bs29.JPG bs30.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I didn't know you had one.... that's a dual monster amp right? Does that have a fan for cooling?
OK so you don't want to talk about it, that's cool
So on the subs I am building..... Huston we have a problem... I had cut the hole for the port thinking I was going to be using a strait round 6" port. Well the flared port is much larger on the outer edge and will not clear the woofer. Soooo think I will cut a couple round pieces of MDF and plug the holes I have now and redo the holes further back to clear the woofer. Try to plan and think ahead but things change.... I figure if I make a plug that fits snug into the hole with glue it should not affect anything....

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
If you’re using a 6” port I wouldn’t worry about the flare. I ran completely non flared ports (other than just breaking the edge by hand with sand paper) with no problems, last big build I used a 1/4” radius roundover bit which was for appearance mostly. You won’t have enough port velocity with a 6” port for any “chuffing”. But, if you decide to plug them, I’m sure a nice fit and glue will be fine. You could glue a back plate over them if you were worried about it. Some filler and a sand you’ll never know it happened

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
These flared ports come with both ends have a flange, well only the outer one needs one for mounting but inside does not. So I cut the flange off and wala I don't have to go through all the work to relocate the hole, it is close but should be OK..... In the pic that is the actual length it will be
bs35.JPG bs31.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Well I figured since I had the woofer in the cab for test fitting I put the back on and a few bolts and hooked the amp to it and.... holy sheep shit batman!!! When I cranked it I heard a buzzing rattling sound from the driver, so I backed off and lowed the bass a bit and wow they shake everything up to a couple hundred yards away, wife came running out to shop said windows in house were rattling, neighbor out back came over said his shop was vibrating, and neighbor 2 houses down came over and said he could feel the bass out in his yard!!! lol

So I took a closer look and wonder if that buzzing rattling sound was maybe from the surround hitting the baffle when cranked up, where the hole for the woofer is squared off on the edges to give them the Altec look... there is only about 1/8" between the surround and the baffle...
bs36.JPG bs37.JPG

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Well I figured since I had the woofer in the cab for test fitting I put the back on and a few bolts and hooked the amp to it and.... holy sheep shit batman!!! When I cranked it I heard a buzzing rattling sound from the driver, so I backed off and lowed the bass a bit and wow they shake everything up to a couple hundred yards away, wife came running out to shop said windows in house were rattling, neighbor out back came over said his shop was vibrating, and neighbor 2 houses down came over and said he could feel the bass out in his yard!!! lol

So I took a closer look and wonder if that buzzing rattling sound was maybe from the surround hitting the baffle when cranked up, where the hole for the woofer is squared off on the edges to give them the Altec look... there is only about 1/8" between the surround and the baffle...
View attachment 44730 View attachment 44731
Oh Sheiit yeah you’re gonna have to relive that... look at the spec chart that came with the drivers. I think the have 10mmor 12mm xMax excursion, they will hit that for sure. Glad to hear they made some noise though, I’m quite happy with the low response from my build. It was lacking those real deep frequencies and now even at quiet listening levels you really hear a nice kick drum and those DEEEEEEEEP bass notes! ITS TIME TO KICK ASS AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM! But I’m all outta gum...