Looking to upgrade to horns

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Arrg just got off phone with home depot to find out why the order I put in on the 3rd has not come yet..... They said the online order went to a TX store and they will not deliver to ME from there. So I asked how did it go to TX and why could they not transfer the order to ME? They said it was an instore thing so they could not do that (what ever that means). They said they need to cancel the order and send the money back to my account. I asked them why they did not contact me to tell me their was a problem with the order 2 weeks ago, they say they don't know why they did not contact me. This order with the $70 delivery fee is over $300, they said it would take 5 business days for the money to get back into my account and asked If I want to reorder now, I tell them no I don't have another $300 to spend while waiting for my $300 refund, I asked if they could just give it back to me in store credit so I could put the new order in now. They say no only way I can get instore credit is if I go to TX and then the credit would need to be used in the TX store that issued the credit.... So I will not see my MDF and a few other things I order till the end of the month if not latter...... a whole month wasted here waiting on them....

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Short reply to a long post:

W T F ?
That is what I was thinking when I talked with them yesterday..... Good new I guess they expedited my refund, it got back in my account today so I reordered, maybe it will be here by the end of the week and I can get to work on them hope to have them done by end of sept.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Think I found a great way to make my holes for my speakers and ports.......

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Been at a stand still here since I cut the panels. I had decided how I want them to look and a rough idea how to build them but not the fine details how to do it so they look good. My biggest concern was getting the hole in the baffle cut to look real clean where I will be mounting the driver behind the baffle, the opening will be fully exposed. All I have to work with here is a skill saw, a jig saw, and a real cheap old tiny table saw. I also have an old router. The problem with the hole is it will not be just a round hole, that would be fairly easy to do.

I started thinking about this a year ago it was in the fall just before I closed the shop up for the winter. I had made a couple mock ups of ideas. The easiest one was a round hole, mount the woofer to outside of the baffle and put a 6" port on the front next to the woofer. But I just did not like the looks of that at all. I wanted them to look like they belong with the Alec 816 mid cabs, not just something tossed under them. so I decided I wanted to emulate the 816 cabs. The problem is to make the ports for a sub to get them to 32hz, look and match the 816's they would need to be way long and complected to build, beyond my abilities. so I came up with the design in pic below. They will have a down fire round port with fake square ports on the baffle, and square the edges of the woofer hole like the Altecs.

This is where I had to figure a way to make the opening for the driver look good. It is not as easy as drilling a hole in the center, mount the router to a piece of wood to use as a pivot to make a perfect round hole. Before I started cutting the panels I figured a way to do it. I need a template with an edge trimming router bit with the bearing to ride along the template. Problem there is making a template that is perfect, there is no way I can do that with a jig saw. But.... I am good with metal, I have stock and a roller. So I plan to roll out 2 half circles and cut 2 strait pieces, will get every thing to size, tack the pieces together, weld a few tabs on them for screw, carefully position on the baffle. That should be a perfect template for those woofer holes.

All I have to cut the panels out of the 4 X 8 sheets of MDF is a skill saw and I knew there was no way I would get a perfect strait edge that I need for the front baffle where the edges need to fit perfect to the sides, no gaps of any kind. So what I did was since I figure I was going to get a router bit anyway I cut all the panels slightly over size so can position them on the frame, the rout the edges on all panels to give a good fit all the way around. The router bit will be here tuesday, all they had in stock at local hardware store was a 1/2" length bit so would not work doing 3/4" MDF, home depot had one with free shipping. I also ordered the woofers, I will need the dimensions for the hole as well as where to put the holes to mount the woofer. Then of course there will be many things to do that will all be for appearance... so there you have it, where I been and where I'm going. I hope to be back on them wednesday...