Looking to upgrade to horns

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
4 ohms should be around 340 or so...
So if I use 4 ohm speakers it would be like getting free horse power compared to 8 ohm then right?? I have all the pieces cut for the stands for the altec cabs the casters should be here this coming week. I have the wopl 400 driving the 15" mids and the stock 400 driving 18" subs... I find it interesting that the wopl 400 runs warmer driving the mids than the stock 400 driving the subs. I always though an amp driving bass works much harder than an amp driving higher frequencies. I know the meters on these amps don't mean a lot but the meters on the wopl are not hitting in the red area of the meter while the stock amp driving the subs is plowing into the red zone a lot almost every bass note when I have the volume cranked up. The wopl 400 seems to be doing good after the fatal melt down and what ever was causing the DCP to trip when cranked up seems to have been resolved after the repair

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
So if I use 4 ohm speakers it would be like getting free horse power compared to 8 ohm then right?? I have all the pieces cut for the stands for the altec cabs the casters should be here this coming week. I have the wopl 400 driving the 15" mids and the stock 400 driving 18" subs... I find it interesting that the wopl 400 runs warmer driving the mids than the stock 400 driving the subs. I always though an amp driving bass works much harder than an amp driving higher frequencies. I know the meters on these amps don't mean a lot but the meters on the wopl are not hitting in the red area of the meter while the stock amp driving the subs is plowing into the red zone a lot almost every bass note when I have the volume cranked up. The wopl 400 seems to be doing good after the fatal melt down and what ever was causing the DCP to trip when cranked up seems to have been resolved after the repair
My stock 400 did the same, needles right and cool as a cucumber. Never had a WOPL to compare it to. My amp never seemed to break a sweat no matter how long I ran it or what I had it hooked to. It is a series 2 400. I always wondered what was going on as a lot of others say those amps get really hot at a 4 ohm load. Mine never did and sometimes running it with some very hungry speakers. It's good to know your WOPL is doing well. I still need to jump back on the 700 to finish it up. We will see. Still want to hear your set up.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Still want to hear your set up.
Any time, you bring the lobster and I will supply the butter! :) I really am enjoying the new speakers, a lot more clarity and depth, my old speakers sounded a bit flat at low volume levels they love power but these sound good no matter what volume I am at. Pretty awesome.... theme from pink panther when both PL's pegging out in the red lol

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Moby--- "Play" track 4 is killer.
Crystal Method--"Vegas" track 4
Are You Shpongled--track 6

Standard amp test tunes at my.place...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A lot of extended bass notes in the first 2 and a really busy song on the third...

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Lee, you should put a copy of #3 in the download files section and call it the "Death Test" to avoid any copyright issues. It did kill a mouse, once.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
So it is getting time to get back out in the shop, one of my bucket list things to do this summer is build the subs. I built the frames I will use for the subs so will use 3/4 MDF to enclose the frames. I want to use 18" speakers. I decided to go with simple round port vs square ones. I have not picket ut the speakers yet I was going back and forth trying to decide 8 ohm vs 4 ohm. 4 ohm you get all the hp out of the amp and hp is good but from what I have read @ 4 ohm you give away all your head room, @ 8 ohm the amp has head room... so the question is, full throttle with lots of hp vs 1/2 throttle but with a bunch of reserve power. I'm thinking you would get a full smoother sound with 1/2 throttle @8 ohm. NO?