Looking to upgrade to horns

jvandyke_texas

New Around These Parts
$2,300. Then crossovers and cabinets. Maybe another $1200. There's the time to build cabinets.
It may be less expensive to build new than transport across country.
Speakerlab was a Pacific NW company. He'll have to desire something closer to home.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Scored an Altec 808-8B driver today with a good original diaphragm in it for $119.... it's a start

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Thanks Lee.
Lee remember the old Jubilee that was at one time said to become the Klipschhorn II . But was the moved into Klipsch's commercial line ?
I'm sure you have checked whats up in that division these days.
Here is a link : https://www.klipsch.com/pro/cinema/behind-the-screen

Looks like my stuff, big gray boxes with horns on top.
The WAF factor might be a problem for some. I'm a lucky guy, my wife loves the sound.

Interesting info on Klipsch's DSP system control also.
I'm not a fan of passive crossovers as you know and use an analog Pioneer SF-850 Active crossover , but this new digital DSP control
is very interesting. I've been reading up on using the DBX DriveRack PA2 for speaker management .
There is an article on the Great Plains Audio site how it was used on an Altec Model 14 . Its in there somewhere.

Ray,
You might find some of this interesting as well on the Klipsch pages . Looks like good DIY. Stack it up high with horns. lol
later guys,
jM

Mike, I had not been keeping up on the Jube's......I'd love to hear a pair.....thanks...

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Lee . yep the 808-8b's but I have changed the diaphragm to the 802. GPA still builds all original Altec parts.
so the 808-8b now is a 802-8g with the phragm swap.
As you know, ya got to be easy on the power to compression drivers. One reason I like active crossovers . I can drive them with there
own amp to control output power, slope and amp choice. They don't need much . When I ran passive's I would kill them once in a while if I got
heavy on the go knob. $150.oo a pop for new phrgm's.
I still have the Dahlquist bi amp system also.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
With the autotransformer tap settings on the Al K Universal crossovers I have only wiped out one set of DCM -50 diaphrams...to 3 sets of woofers...when the woofer clips the mid still ,lives!!

THD+N

Journeyman
For someone who is patient (and has mid-level wood working skills at least) and wants to slowly build a horn system, I would recommend a two-piece ported La Scala system. The La Scala is much easier to construct than a K-Horn with minimal angles to figure out. Construct the bass cabinet as a separate piece from the top section, so you can experiment with different mid-range drivers/horns and tweeters.

Porting a La Scala is the only way to go in my opinion. Stock, the La Scala is a giant 100Hz and up "satellite speaker". The reason I suggest the La Scala is because not everyone has the room to set-up the K-Horns properly and the K-Horn is also fairly large. The La Scala is large but more manageable than a K-Horn and placement is more flexible. The ported La Scala prefers a corner to load the port (mine are ported to the rear, which I think work and sound the best), but it is not absolutely necessary.

The original design lends itself well to the porting mod. To extract the most from the porting mod, you need a special 12dB/octave high pass filter with a high "Q". This filter is centered at 35Hz and gives 6dB of boost, then rolls of simulating an infra-sonic filter. This roll off is necessary to keep the woofer under control below the porting frequency.

Some may question how good a ported La Scala can sound, but until you have heard how much the bass comes up after the mod, it's a night and day difference. The bass is tight, dynamic and fast (The way a lot of people like it here... wink wink). It's been decades since I have heard K-Horns, but the ported La Scala is the closest you will come (bass wise) in a smaller package.

For those who want to experiment, I have designed the high pass filter you will need to make this project successful. See attached circuit and graph for reference. A simple power supply is shown too.

You don't have to get crazy choosing an op-amp, but I do prefer bi-polar input types for my projects. One of my favorites is the NJM2068. It is low noise and has good specs for $0.50.

Forgot to mention - The bass EQ circuit can go into your tape or EQ loop on your preamp.

Attachments

Last edited:

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
THD+N thanks for that sounds interesting I am thinking if I build new cabs down the road I am thinking of the Altec 19 cab but keep horns separate.... I have the tools and know how to build a cab and might this summer.... Do you have blueprint for the scala cab? I'd like to see it.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ron, check out Crites Seakers.com. he has plans for the LaScalas I believe and the Cornscala , a hybrid between the Vornwall and LaScala, heard a lot of good things about it. Perry has a set IIRC.

Nick, good stuff there bud..

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
The driver is here and looks good 7.1 ohm... now to find another
my808.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Hide 'em in the basement. She'll never notice!:oops:
Just toss a sheet over them right?? Says they weigh 600lbs ea. so she might get suspicious something is up when they deliver them when a semi pulls up and a fork truck unloads them out in the yard, if not then she would catch the mortgage I would have to take out on the house to buy them 128k lol

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Your going to get in trouble there fella! Better send them to me while you still can.
I have 20 acres & my one neighbor is deaf. Heh..Heh
I have a 30 X 50 hay barn that needs a sound system!

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Your going to get in trouble there fella! Better send them to me while you still can.
I have 20 acres & my one neighbor is deaf. Heh..Heh
I have a 30 X 50 hay barn that needs a sound system!
Send them you?? Let me think about that for a minute.......................... NO! :laughing3: