Linear Tracking

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
I had an Eminent Technology air bearing linear tracking arm on a VPI HW-19 for many years and it was great as far as vinyl went. I sold it about 15 years ago then scrapped all my LP's except my Direct to Discs which remain packed away. I went to CD and SACD exclusively. Today I run a DAC that has no analog output stage, there are only a pair of Lundahl line transfomers between the output of the DAC chip and the line stage. Even the best quality vinyl playback I've heard doesn't come close to what this DAC can do.

Mark
Hello Mark.
I have been wanting to upgrade to a better Digital playback system. Can you give more detail on your system and the Dac and Lundahl
line trannies you are using. I have looked at some gear from K&K audio but kind of lost on which way to go here.
I have been running a SACD player thru a pair of vintage Western Electric 111c Transformers. Not bad but looking other ideas out there'

thanks,
mike

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Picked up my Yamaha PX-3 about 2-1/2 years ago got it dialed in and as much as I love my old Pioneer PL-12D the Yamaha is on the shelf playing as I write this. Never will be without a linear tracker, the Yammy is perfection as far as I'm concerned.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I've added a few more linear-tracking turntables since I last posted in this thread. I, even, picked one up, today, for $5. I saw it at the local thrift store, yesterday, then let it sit until today. It's a simple Realistic Lab 2200. The tone arm didn't move when I powered it up, yesterday, so I hope to delve into the problem on the weekend.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
JVC DC-7

In the 80's to 90's, many manufacturers were offering all-in-one packages that took up very little space. It was quite popular to use linear tracking turntables, as they can be quite compact.

I've had my JVC DC-7 for over eight years now. I picked it up at the local thrift store - Pearl's - for $20. This is more of a boombox because it is indeed portable and runs on D cell batteries. I've had a few people contact me on various forums to buy it. Nah...

JVC DC-7.jpg
JVC DC-7 1.jpg
JVC DC-7 3.jpg
JVC DC-7 2.jpg

Nando.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The 80s were an incredible time for electronics, there were so many things unheard of before or since. If I had one of them I wouldn't let go of it either, it's too neato to give away.

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
I've added a few more linear-tracking turntables since I last posted in this thread. I, even, picked one up, today, for $3. I saw it at the local thrift store, yesterday, then let it sit until today. It's a simple Realistic Lab 2200. The tone arm didn't move when I powered it up, yesterday, so I hope to delve into the problem on the weekend.

Nando.
probably the belt

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
I only have one linear tracking TT, and have had it for a while, the Bang & Olufsen 5000 series... really nice unit...but the carts are hard to source, and very expensive to buy... but it has full remote control operation, lovely sound and for something that is approaching 40 years of age, is a marvel to use...

I prefer my Pioneers though! ( PL-61 and PL-7 )

PC

Attachments

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
JVC DC-7

In the 80's to 90's, many manufacturers were offering all-in-one packages that took up very little space. It was quite popular to use linear tracking turntables, as they can be quite compact.

I've had my JVC DC-7 for over eight years now. I picked it up at the local thrift store - Pearl's - for $20. This is more of a boombox because it is indeed portable and runs on D cell batteries. I've had a few people contact me on various forums to buy it. Nah...

View attachment 39880
View attachment 39881
View attachment 39882
View attachment 39883

Nando.
That must eat batteries faster than you could feed them to it.

Elite-ist

Staff member
This would be a good case for using rechargeable D cell batteries. I did, initially, try it with alkaline batteries but not for an extended period of time.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Mitsubishi DA-L70 and LT-70 Cassette Receiver and Turntable

Here is another example of a mini system from Mitsubishi. It's an AM/FM receiver with a 7-cassette changer and has an accompanying linear tracking turntable. I don't have the matching SS-L70 speakers, however. I had been using it with a pair of bookshelf speakers.

I bought this unit last October at the Innovative Audio flash Garage Sale for $50. I will take more photos of it later. It's a very nice-looking unit.

Mitsubishi.jpg
Mitsubishi 1.jpg

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I only have one linear tracking TT, and have had it for a while, the Bang & Olufsen 5000 series... really nice unit...but the carts are hard to source, and very expensive to buy... but it has full remote control operation, lovely sound and for something that is approaching 40 years of age, is a marvel to use...

I prefer my Pioneers though! ( PL-61 and PL-7 )

PC
Shaun: I discovered how expensive B&O cartridges - new or used - could be when I was given a Beogram 1700 turntable. The turntable was gifted to me more than a year ago because it didn't have a cartridge on it, but the table worked fine. So, when the impromptu Innovative Audio Garage Sale took place in October of last year, I attended in the off-chance I would find a B&O cartridge. I was more than successful as I got a Beogram 4002 linear tracking turntable fitted with an MMC 20EN and two spare cartridges came with it - MMC 4000 and MMC 20CL - all for $100. The stylus is missing on the 20CL, however.

Beogram 3.jpg
20200221_070516_zpsyu96cohe.jpg
20200221_070659_zpshbrsb9us.jpg

Nando.

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
Hi Nando,
I do like those B&O TTs...a lot, i had one gifted to me and it would not work! I tried everything, but alas nothing did the trick, i think that the logic board was kaput... shame...

But i did 'discover' B&O as a brand and that in turn led me to building up the B&O system that Mrs PC loves...

I still have a hankering for one of those 1700 TTs

PS I have today posted off a package to your delivery address !

Shaun

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks, Shaun. You picked a very interesting theme for your latest mix tape project. Today, I should be able to begin recording my mix tape (Sisters Together) for you, followed by a copy for Pat. Once I finish these two recordings, I will begin compiling songs for the Master of the upcoming Funk & Motown project.

The 1700 and 4002 turntables are the only B&O products I own. A friend of mine is into B&O (sound kinky) and has sold most of his top-tier cassette decks -Nakamichi, Pioneer, Sony, etc. and uses a B&O console system. I am impressed by a mix tape he recorded for me.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Realistic Lab 2200 repaired and working this morning. The strangest cause I have seen for a LT turntable not to work. After removing the top cover from the base, I found the missing 45 rpm adapter, inside, wedged between the tonearm carriage and side of the base. That's why the tonearm couldn't return to rest. How did it even get in there?

Nando.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Looks fairly well constructed considering the years it was built, as CDs were being felt. So many linears had the mechanisms in the cover, can't believe that was a good thing for stability or proper function.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I've played the same LP through it 3X and all seems well. Just going to clean the stylus tip again, check the pitch control (I already dialed it in with the strobe) and play it through one of my systems.

Nando.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Nando, is it at all obvious who made that turntable for Rat Shack? I've owned similar myself, but with a different brand.