Linda - Rode hard and abused

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, that's the exact same thing a 700B I bought went through. The Power Cap blew, and melted one of the meter cases and made a complete mess. This may give some of the guys a taste of what happens to 40 year old shit when it decides to go. I'm sure you can see that a fire would not be out of the question. Rebuilding an old ass amp is just an accident waiting for you. Some leave them original because they are cheap and don't cherish the junk they have collected over the years but an amp like this can burn you junk down. A complete White Oak Upgrade (COMPLETE), will cure all that and if and when a WOPL blows up, we'll all be long gone and buried.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, that's the exact same thing a 700B I bought went through. The Power Cap blew, and melted one of the meter cases and made a complete mess. This may give some of the guys a taste of what happens to 40 year old shit when it decides to go. I'm sure you can see that a fire would not be out of the question. Rebuilding an old ass amp is just an accident waiting for you. Some leave them original because they are cheap and don't cherish the junk they have collected over the years but an amp like this can burn you junk down. A complete White Oak Upgrade (COMPLETE), will cure all that and if and when a WOPL blows up, we'll all be long gone and buried.

I have PL-400 I'm keeping as original as possible. It was almost perfect when I got it. I replaced the output transistors and upgraded the PS caps, recapped the control board with Nichicon FG caps and replaced the meter board with the WO LED board. Love these amps.

IF the transformer is good, LINDA will get a complete WOA rebuild. If she needs new meters, I'll get a WOA faceplate with meters, then her transformation to a WOA-400 will be complete .

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have PL-400 I'm keeping as original as possible. It was almost perfect when I got it. I replaced the output transistors and upgraded the PS caps, recapped the control board with Nichicon FG caps and replaced the meter board with the WO LED board. Love these amps.

IF the transformer is good, LINDA will get a complete WOA rebuild. If she needs new meters, I'll get a WOA faceplate with meters, then her transformation to a WOA-400 will be complete .

No use in keeping a dangerous amp original. They are not rare, they are relatively cheap, and I wouldn't give a plug Nickle for an original 400 UNLESS it was to gut it. But, good luck. I've never had to buy a 400, they were given to me. The one that worked, I gave to my friend who lived in a trailer which needed burning (The trailer that is), and I gutted the other 2 for a proper WOPL job.

No use in keeping a dangerous amp original. They are not rare, they are relatively cheap, and I wouldn't give a plug Nickle for an original 400 UNLESS it was to gut it. But, good luck. I've never had to buy a 400, they were given to me. The one that worked, I gave to my friend who lived in a trailer which needed burning (The trailer that is), and I gutted the other 2 for a proper WOPL job.
I hear what you're saying, and my first PL-400 is not purely original anymore. I did put Don's DCP board in it along with the cap upgrades. Still, it gives me a reference to compare my other amps to and I like it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I hear what you're saying, and my first PL-400 is not purely original anymore. I did put Don's DCP board in it along with the cap upgrades. Still, it gives me a reference to compare my other amps to and I like it.
So what makes it "Reference"??? It's been recapped, has a DCP in it, and the Power Supply caps, new outputs (40 year old originals or 95/96's).... There is nothing "reference" left. Even if it was for VISUAL reference, it's all gone. That's like saying I restored a Model A but put a hemi in it and a A833 tranny and some slicks.

So what makes it "Reference"??? It's been recapped, has a DCP in it, and the Power Supply caps, new outputs (40 year old originals or 95/96's).... There is nothing "reference" left. Even if it was for VISUAL reference, it's all gone. That's like saying I restored a Model A but put a hemi in it and a A833 tranny and some slicks.

Reread the last sentence in my statement you quoted. Therein lies the answer to your question.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yep.... I guess that's all that matters.

Don't you like your house too?

Linda more closely resembles a reference amp since the quality of work looks more like the factory work. They built abortions.

Last edited: