Lee's White Oak 1000

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Headed to Home Depot to get some spring clips for the bottom to clip onto the outside 2 heatsink plates. The top will rest on the angle then the bottom will clip over the outer rails. Coolness.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Both Lee and Joe, the designer of the White Oak Audio main board have described the life of the semiconductors in terms of heat cycles, not years of age. Having a fan to keep the devices cool can actually prolong their life. We found the 120 VAC fans to be very quiet and two of them can even be run in series at half speed to further reduce the sound of the fan blades spinning, while still delivering enough air to keep the heatsinks cooler. For the Phase Linear 700 amps in the wooden cabinets, I think this is essential. Phase Linear even sold a fan and hood combination to accomplish what Lee has done with some Home Depot hardware.

Hey Lee, how about giving us the SKUs of those handy clips, they look like Phase Linear inventory parts...

Mark

mlucitt

BTW Speakerman, I did a previous post about my experiment to determine the proper thermostat for the fans (which turned out to be NONE, because the fans are quiet enough to run all the time and the thermostat would have contributed to heat cycling by switching on and off, which folks pointed out to me would be a bad thing as noted above).

So I ran my White Oak Audio-equipped Phase Linear 700B at various levels WITH NO FANS to check how hot the heatsinks got. In the last test, I was at full volume, max power, the meters were bouncing on the right hand side, and the heatsinks got so hot I could not touch them. After 12 minutes of this, the amp shut down because the thermostats INSIDE the amp had opened. This was just like kicking the plug out of the wall AT FULL POWER! I turned down the amp and it came back on as it cooled off. No damage, it sounded perfect. I tell you, the White Oak Audio main boards in these old Phase Linear amplifiers are a killer combination.

Try that experiment in most other amps and I think there may be some damage. I was pushing almost 1000 Watts of power.

Mark

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have read that. And again I say WHY? Why would you push your equipment to that point. It isn't only heat that kills components. The off or on switch doesn't help.The surge going into them when turned on doesn't help. Do you have a filter on your AC? The one I have gradually ramps up? Low voltage doesn't help and neither does high voltage. You are right that heat isn't good. There are ways w/o inducing more EMF into the area to control heat. How many AC circuits are in an amp? I can only think of one. I could be wrong. This is just my opinion. I could be wrong.I have been before.

I agree with the cabinet point.

Larry

mlucitt

Lee,
I forget you are an electrician, too. I would have looked in hardware and the clips are in electrical, nice.

Speakerman, your points are good. Lee and I have this disease, Loudekemia. We like it loud and I was looking for how much power reserve my Phase Linear had with the new White Oak Audio main board, which has some refinements that the old board did not. The filter caps and the massive transformer produce a 8 Amp surge in the 120 VAC supply but the turn-on thump, which is the momentary DC felt by the amplifier is now very small and insignificant to the 24 individual devices. The voltage regulation going into my amp is provided by a Shape Magnetronics Line Tamer #PCLT 450 and a Rod Elliott DC Blocker circuit box. The only AC circuit in the amp is 6 VAC for the lighting and does not generate any perceptible heat. The AC outlet on the back of the amp is a convenience outlet for the fans. Both fans together draw 20 Watts or 16 milliamps, not enough to really worry about.

The fans may be overkill, but Lee and I are overkill kind of guys. You reminded me that switching on and off does kill these devices, so on the days I listen to this amp (almost every day), I will turn it on and leave it on. I'll check the idle current to see if this will affect my utility bill, on the other hand, I'd rather pay $10 more per month than try and fine some replacement XPL909s.

Mark

speakerman1

Tagline
I just try different ways. More efficient components.May cost you now;but in the long run they will pay for themselves. Plus there are other benefits.. Even with the fans on the sinks you are still producing heat. As the heat increases so does the resistance. Heat is energy. More efficiency less heat, less resistance more power. Heat is measured in watts for a reason. Really I'm just thinking aloud. How far does your AC fluctuate. The other day cranking the amp I dropped to 118 VAC.The lowest I have ever seen it go.121 is the highest I have ever seen it. Still within good operating limits. I do run some big cords for a reason. Zip cord don't hack it. You want at least 12 AWG going to that amp. Is your IEC grounded? If so do a little test. See what you get ungrounded and what you get grounded. See if the sines get better. I am very interested. To see.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Larry, these amps are not heatsinked enough for me to listen at my preferred level without forced air cooling. If I have to I'll design a cryogenic heat exchanger, but I'm gonna push any amp I have hooked to the Kornerhorns. 90% of the time - Mach 8, 10%-less than that.
Bob Carver did not provide enough heatsinking to continuously push these at their rated output into 8 ohms, don't even think about 4 without cooling.
I've been thinking seriously about making some sinks with copper coils built in to circulate cold water through, kinda like a pre-heater for the shower and water heater.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
mlucitt said:
Lee,
I forget you are an electrician, too. I would have looked in hardware and the clips are in electrical, nice.

Speakerman, your points are good. Lee and I have this disease, Loudekemia. We like it loud and I was looking for how much power reserve my Phase Linear had with the new White Oak Audio main board, which has some refinements that the old board did not. The filter caps and the massive transformer produce a 8 Amp surge in the 120 VAC supply but the turn-on thump, which is the momentary DC felt by the amplifier is now very small and insignificant to the 24 individual devices. The voltage regulation going into my amp is provided by a Shape Magnetronics Line Tamer #PCLT 450 and a Rod Elliott DC Blocker circuit box. The only AC circuit in the amp is 6 VAC for the lighting and does not generate any perceptible heat. The AC outlet on the back of the amp is a convenience outlet for the fans. Both fans together draw 20 Watts or 16 milliamps, not enough to really worry about.

The fans may be overkill, but Lee and I are overkill kind of guys. You reminded me that switching on and off does kill these devices, so on the days I listen to this amp (almost every day), I will turn it on and leave it on. I'll check the idle current to see if this will affect my utility bill, on the other hand, I'd rather pay $10 more per month than try and fine some replacement XPL909s.

Mark
Mark, XPL-909's are history using the new board. Hi Freq oscillation is not possible with this board if all components are is spec, therefore why chase a noisy, obsolete dinosaur?? The MJ 15024, Mj 211`94 combo is killer.

speakerman1

Tagline
On our B pump hyd. we made a sort of still.We ran a couple hundred feet of copper tubing in a 50 gal drum filled with water to keep the fluid cool. With out it we could only run for 15 mins.

Do you understand where I'm coming from though?

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
See Joe's post on the 400 distortion test, the XPL's are way noisier the the MJ's.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes Larry I do, That's why I'm talking to Joe about whether or not the board will support 120 volts on the DC rails. The 700's have a 100 volt+/- rails. 10 device heatsinks with 1 driver and 9 outputs per rail.. Should do 600 per easily. Besides, I gotta do something with these big toroids I have.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
laatsch55 said:
Yes Larry I do, That's why I'm talking to Joe about whether or not the board will support 1120 volts on the DC rails. The 700's have a 100 volt+/- rails. 10 device heatsinks with 1 driver and 9 outputs per rail.. Should do 600 per easily. Besides, I gotta do something with these big toroids I have.
Can you actually get the rail voltages that high? Isn't that pretty close to line voltage, or does the full wave bridge double that (rr.. or something like that... 1.404 is something I seem to remember)

Soon you'll need a dryer power cord to power it, heheh :cheers:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The toroids have a 165 volt secondary center tapped. Measured at the 4 22, 000 mfd caps its 119. volts.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
The fans look killer!

So does it help with cooling the amp?

I am sure you have run it at full power. How long can you run it without the amp shutting down? Indefinately?

Are you putting MJ's the in Rigg WO1000? What goes in the WO500?

I can hardly wait to play with one....

Heck, I can hardly wait to run two 1000's and two 500's....that is going to be FUN!!! I may not have to run the propane heater in the Den this Winter!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
A miracle has happened in the mancave!!!! I have room!!!! Gotta make room for the company at the end of the month, Jani's been doin her part so I got after the mancave today. It hasn't been this uncluttered in 3 years!!! :cya:

Attachments