Lee's White Oak 1000

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Had to hook up one of my own amps as there are none in test mode here at the moment. This is not the same as the OERW Sutton. That one still stands as the best heard here.

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Lee, you have some impressive stacks there. I don't think we've ever seen pics of the speakers though...at least not with the drivers exposed. I'd love to see those beauties..

You will have the amp of amps when you get the 1.3 kw completed. That will be one real monster amp. You better get you other bass bins done, and figure out how to drive all those spekaers with all that power, and order some replacement drivers, light bulbs and several fire extinguishers first though !!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Thanks...I bet they sound awsome....what is the internal volume for the Crites? I'm wondering if a pair of these VOT cabs might be an enclosure of the proper size to put a Crites Woofer...adjusting the slot size.....and then using an Altec horn and driver, and maybe the same or similar crossover to the one you are using....but I guess it is a three way....I did see some JBL Supertweeters for slae on eBay for 75.00 a pair a week ago...maybe those could be the tweeter and the Altec horns could be the squalker...Might take some tweaking...

Beautiful setup you have. I'll bet it rocks, and will the other set of bass bins you should be able to crack the foundation..How are you going to run the 1.3 kw? Are you going to put the speakers in series and drive a pair a channel.......or are you going to test the limits of the drivers?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The 1.3kw will drive one pair of bass bins with a PLWO 1000 on the other pair, a Spec 2 or PLWO 550 on the horns and a Kenwood KA 5002 on the tweets, all being fed by the D-23 crossover, with the SF-850 pulling back up duty. At this moment----"Supertramp" Even in the Quitest Moments----at mach 8 before i step out the door for work. Not a bad way to head out!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I still have the plans I built these from if you would like a set I'll have Jani run off a set. Don't knopw what the volume is. I do know that the woofer fires through a rectangular port that is 3" X 13".

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yeah, I'd love to have a set of plans...I might not build them in the next month, but I could use them to do some calculations and might build them sometime...do they have crossover plans too, in adition to the cabinet plans?

Thanks.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Go to alkeng.com, he sells the worlds best crossover for the K-Horns, asszembled or kit form. 400 for a pair in kit form. They also hace 12 or 13 settings for the mid-horn level setting by an autotransfrmer. The guy is a filter genius. When he still posted on AK him and the Klipsch engineers would go toe to toe about crossover design. To this date anyone who owned a stock set of K-Horns and replaced the factory crossovers with Al's
" Universal" or " Extreme Slope" models say it's like a totally different set of speakers.

\ In the summer when a local kid drives by with a trunkful of sub-bass reverberating through the neighborhood, I'll flag em down and ask em if they've ever heard some ass kicking bass, the looks I get are priceless, but not as priceless as the look on their faces when they leave the mancave.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
So you are an extreme slope fan? You have the 24db slopes on yours? Are the Universal ones capable of the 24 db slope, or do they just do 6,12, and 18 db slopes? I have tried to research Al's stuff, but it's just a loittle far out there for my brain.Can't quite wrap my head around some of his stuff., I know they sound great, I just can't grasp some of the theory...I can build crossovers from a schemo, but I really am just following the plan....wish I were smart enough to design them, and do measurements and such. I have all the software, but again....it's a little too far out ther for me, and I have no mentor close by who could help me.. If I did, I think I coulld get it..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Not an extreme slope fan, I've noticed when I tri-amped the K-horns for a little while that after a 12db slope some thiungs came up missing. Harmonics, detail, soundstage were not as pleasing to my ears past a 12 db slope, and I preferred a 6 db slope fopr most stuff. I'm running his "Universals" in the K's now.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I have heard different theories on crossover slopes, but I tend to think the lower the order, the closer to the actual music you get. I usually prefer second order crossovers without any padding...usually not possible unless you are using more than one woofer in the design...

The office called and the boxes arrived late this afternoon. First thing in the morning I'll be Phaseing.....Halleluah.....I can't wait !!!!!!

My wife has me painting the inside of the house, and so far I have completed the bedroom, bathroom and have about finished the kitchen and dining area. That leaves me with the Living Room, little bath, and the ceiling of the Den..I may be finished by Thanksgiving...geeeezzz...it has been tough..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
You can now move a lot more air and get em to drying faster!!!! BTW, what the hell mis your avvie?>?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
The avatar is the logo which I had developed for Ibrahim Diril Cymbals....Hand Hammered in Turkey...if you look at the logo, it spells D I R I L which is the brandname for Ibrahim Diril's Cymbals...Long story, but it was designed by a Turk who was an uncle of a Turkish friend who did graphic design in the Middle East..best cymbals I have ever played by far...I got to go to Turkey and visit the factory and stay with Ibrahim for about 10 days a couple of summers ago. One of the best times I have ever had in my life. I love the Turkish people, and their country. It is a wonderful place.

And yeah, after I hooked up the PLWO1000 the paint dried instantly....and it was even raining outside. I don't think the rain touches my house anymore, the sound waves are pushing it away from the shingles...