Klipsch - share your thoughts

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I missed this entire thread!

Like Mark, I am not a fan of the typical (stock) Klipsch sound. Maybe a modded one would convince me otherwise, but I seem to be hooked on first order crossovers for a long time now, and the Klipsch speakers I was able to audition just didn't sound correct to me.

I've been playing music since age six so, although I only PLAY drums (and a few other related instruments), I know pretty well what real instruments sound like. Currently that is brought to life for me via Thiel CS2.2s (AKA 2 2 due to the Bose copyright on 2.2 for newer versions). Looking to move up Jim Thiel's food chain at some point in the future, but the used market price seems to go up logarithmically with model number...

Thiel CS2 2 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Maybe a modded one would convince me otherwise...
In fact, at a local audio meet, I was astonished to hear a KG4 with full Crites mods - it was one of the best speakers I ever heard.

On the other hand, while in Carlsbad, NM, I picked up a rough pair of Hereseys for a hundred bucks. They sounded OK, but when it came time to move back up here, I elected to sell them (got two hundred). I did not know at the time that my amp needed a recap, so I'll never know if I heard them at their best.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The other issue with the Thiels is they get LARGE as you move up (like over 200# each!). I think the 2.2 (2 2) is a sweet spot for bang for the buck (and I can lift them). The drivers are great, the balance is great, imaging is great, and the "suspension of disbelief" is now great- they need a healthy diet of power. I bet a pair of WOPL 700's, run the same way I'm running my Counterpoint amps, would be outstanding as well. They need lots of pure, clean power, and with TONS of available headroom. Having the amps RIGHT THERE next to each speaker also helps tremendously.

Granted, mine is a single data point, but they (the entire system) changed so dramatically with the dual-mono configuration that I am almost hesitant to "upgrade" the speakers, even with Thiels, as I might suddenly "lose the magic" that I have right now...

I also want to get the basement room completed. That is (will be) significantly larger volume room and should really open up the bass response. The 2.2 doesn't go super low, but what it gives, is high quality. The CS5 for example (over ten grand new) goes lower but it is a four-way speaker with very low impedance at some frequencies. As "masculine" as my amps are, those may prove to be a problem to get the same "magic" from...

This last point is what sent me down the path of building Krell KSA 500 mono amps. Krell was known to handle the Thiels well, back in the day. Build two KSA 250s, and run them the same way I run my Counterpoint amps. But it gets expensive really fast, as you need an absolutely massive transformer for each... That idea has sort of fizzled out, and I guess I'd deal with it if the need arose. And, used Krell amps might be cheaper in the long run anyway, plus condition is usually great since the guys who could afford them rarely ran them over ten watts RMS... Might have to start horse trading with Perry for his Krell...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The other issue with the Thiels is they get LARGE as you move up (like over 200# each!). I think the 2.2 (2 2) is a sweet spot for bang for the buck (and I can lift them). The drivers are great, the balance is great, imaging is great, and the "suspension of disbelief" is now great- they need a healthy diet of power. I bet a pair of WOPL 700's, run the same way I'm running my Counterpoint amps, would be outstanding as well. They need lots of pure, clean power, and with TONS of available headroom. Having the amps RIGHT THERE next to each speaker also helps tremendously.

Granted, mine is a single data point, but they (the entire system) changed so dramatically with the dual-mono configuration that I am almost hesitant to "upgrade" the speakers, even with Thiels, as I might suddenly "lose the magic" that I have right now...

I also want to get the basement room completed. That is (will be) significantly larger volume room and should really open up the bass response. The 2.2 doesn't go super low, but what it gives, is high quality. The CS5 for example (over ten grand new) goes lower but it is a four-way speaker with very low impedance at some frequencies. As "masculine" as my amps are, those may prove to be a problthe pile forem to get the same "magic" from...

This last point is what sent me down the path of building Krell KSA 500 mono amps. Krell was known to handle the Thiels well, back in the day. Build two KSA 250s, and run them the same way I run my Counterpoint amps. But it gets expensive really fast, as you need an absolutely massive transformer for each... That idea has sort of fizzled out, and I guess I'd deal with it if the need arose. And, used Krell amps might be cheaper in the long run anyway, plus condition is usually great since the guys who could afford them rarely ran them over ten watts RMS... Might have to start horse trading with Perry for his Krell...
I got some interest in the Krell project from a couple people. Don't wait too long if you are serious. Shipping of about 4 heavy boxes won't be cheap.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Four boxes? I thought you had one amp?

(And I know shippers are the only ones making bank these days)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Four boxes? I thought you had one amp?

(And I know shippers are the only ones making bank these days)

HA-HA-HA,...... Yes, a 150lb amp and it cant go back together until certain items get accomplished. With the Slow Start board having 3 versions and a schematic for NOT the one I have, it aint going back together yet. It's easier to ship it in 4 boxes anyway. 150LBS in one box is a great way to get Fedex to egg your house. :)

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I've only heard Heresys and wasn't impressed. They just sounded kind of harsh to me. We got them years ago when the guy who owned a big time recording studio on Lookout Mountain donated them to us with all the rest of his gear when he closed the studio. They were his studio monitors. (He had the big-ass Westlakes for the booth.) I used them to mix with while my little demonstration studio was on campus but when I moved it home, I bought a pair of 8" Yamaha powered monitors, which were better, but not great. Final mixes were done listening to the board through my current stereo setup.

All that said, I'd be very interested to hear a fully modded set of K-horns or Cornwalls.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I've only heard Heresys and wasn't impressed. They just sounded kind of harsh to me. We got them years ago when the guy who owned a big time recording studio on Lookout Mountain donated them to us with all the rest of his gear when he closed the studio. They were his studio monitors. (He had the big-ass Westlakes for the booth.) I used them to mix with while my little demonstration studio was on campus but when I moved it home, I bought a pair of 8" Yamaha powered monitors, which were better, but not great. Final mixes were done listening to the board through my current stereo setup.

All that said, I'd be very interested to hear a fully modded set of K-horns or Cornwalls.

Heresy's require perfect placement like most Klipsch. It took me a while to find the sweet spot after moving up here. And, it's hit and miss when finding the amp and preamp to drive them. I also modded mine to get the bass to show itself.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I’m a little intimidated by gear much over 75-100 lbs. My neighbor gave me a Mirage BPS300 subwoofer last week. I know 110lbs isn’t the biggest thing out there but it was a struggle getting it upstairs. My back ain’t what it used to be.

I did finally get around to listening to a few of the new Klipsch speakers. Cornwall IV, Forte IV and the Heresy IV. Aside from the prices, I really liked the Cornwall the best, but the Forte was really nice too. These do not sound like Klipsch speakers of old. The mids just sounded more balanced and natural to me. I really didn’t like the heresy at all.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Totally different animal when you throw away those awful Klipsch crossovers and the 1" mid driver to a 2"..
But,man does not live by Klipsch alone. That's why I bought a set of Ohm F's..

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Howdy folks- hope all is well. It’s funny looking back on this thread. I really was all over the place. I entertained rebuilding my Snell EII’s for many years, so I finally pulled the trigger. No regrets.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I auditioned the Snell C4 back in the day and I liked them. Never see them for sale however.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I auditioned the Snell C4 back in the day and I liked them. Never see them for sale however.
I had a pair of those and they were pretty sweet. They were too big for space I had at the time. You’re right- that version doesn’t show up typically