Klipsch - share your thoughts

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Lay it on me. Good or bad opinions/experiences.

I sold Klipsch in the 90’s along side B&W, Snell and Definitive Technology. I always thought Klipsch was fun but a bit harsh on top. The 5.5 was a regular decent sold build. I’ve heard several pairs of K-Horns, LaScala, Heresy. Of those classic designs I’d say I liked the Heresy but spent little time with them.

Fast forward to right now- I jumped on this recent attention to the latest “reference premiere” line. Picked up a set of RP-600m’s.

I really think they sound fantastic- not disappointed, except for the low frequency extension. They really are a very different speaker from what I recall in terms of sounding more well balanced. I am however, using a 50wpc 6550 push-pull tube amp - so that effects things. I never listened to Klipsch in the past with tubes.

I’m considering the bigger floor standers, the RP-8000F’s, in piano black. More bass, no stands and no fake wood finish.

BUT- I feel a little bad that these are not USA made...and I miss the natural wood veneer....
I guess it’s why these are about $1100, and not $3000+, which is the next step and definitely not in my budget. I could go used, but, I really didn’t love the old line as it was anyway.

What say you?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I love the Klipsch "Big Boys" (LaScala, Cornwalls, Khorns, Belle's ets)... Wanted to try some FR7's but never had the opportunity. The Klipsch, including the Heresy line have great numbers for sensitivity and the WOPL's drive them like a mofo. Ya got's to like horns though. Some think they are to "In your Face" but they sound great whn attention is given to placement and treatments if needed. The new Chineeze stuff???? Don't wanna even mess with them.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I demo'd the Reference Premiere RP-8000F and the Reference RF-7's. I was 'this' close to going Klipsch until I heard the Logans I eventually purchased.
The Martin Logan folded motion drivers forever tweaked my brain.

Between the two Klipsch options, I didn't hear a huge difference but I was leaning RF's.

I don't think you can go wrong with K RP's or RF's... but the usual disclaimer follows: Everyone's ears are uniquely different :cool:

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Their designs are focused on the human voice first and foremost. That is a snippet out of a review. What are you doing? Rocking out? Opera???

mlucitt

I agree with WOPL Sniffer, the audio equipment of today is not as good as the vintage equipment we all remember in terms of fit/finish, components, and sound quality.
If you try and power the RP-800F's with that tube amp, you are going to be very disappointed.

I would look for a set of USA made vintage Heresy or Cornwall and not look back.
Try here:
https://tinyurl.com/43s6vusd
or this one:
https://tinyurl.com/pnjz4r8d

BlazeES

Tagline
---
technically I have room for a lot of options, even k-horns would fit.

I listen to most all genres - leaning towards 50’s/60’s jazz.
RP-8000 in piano black! Jazz will sound amazing ... piano black will reinforce your decision whenever you look at them.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
with a lot of mods?
Joe, ya gotta remember I built mine in 86 from a set of Speakerlab plans and originally had budget drivers. As time went on and got children raised and out of the house I started upgrading. Woofs are now Crites 1526 C's, mids are B &C DCM-50'S on A Martelli tractix wood horn, tweets are B & C DC-10's .
The greatest difference by far has been the crossovers, Extreme slope by Al K .
Expensive, but horns done cheap will drive ya from the room.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I’ve sold, auditioned and owned so much different stuff over the years it’s probably made it harder for me to decide what to do.

Joe, ya gotta remember I built mine in 86 from a set of Speakerlab plans and originally had budget drivers. As time went on and got children raised and out of the house I started upgrading. Woofs are now Crites 1526 C's, mids are B &C DCM-50'S on A Martelli tractix wood horn, tweets are B & C DC-10's .
The greatest difference by far has been the crossovers, Extreme slope by Al K .
Expensive, but horns done cheap will drive ya from the room.
I recently was reading about your bad-ass crossover upgrade and I’m a little envious. Aside from looking at different stuff, for years I’ve dreamed of building my own gear.