Kevin's "I Want a Phase Linear 700 B White Oaked" thread

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
soundude said:
Kev, play some pink floyd, division bell, sounds awesome on planar tweets!!!
Yea... Gotta try some Floyd... Thanks... LEE... I love your new avatar.... LOL... Thats bad ass !!!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Come on Kevin, we gotta hear a more verbose description than that. You must expound on your remarks, sir...and I wanna hear as well, some time..didn't know you had her hooked up til I read it on Phoenix. Compare it to theWOPL 550, and to anything else, like the Hafler P-500 you used on the fronts before..

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Kevin is going to have a hard time contrasting the WOPL 550 and the PL 1000. He has a hot PL 400 that sounds so sweet, really a case of all the right components coming together in perfect structural and electronic harmony - and the PL 700B, a brute powerhouse with mountains of reserve power that just begs to be opened up and blast the room with tidal waves of sound that insults your physical body while soothing an inner feeling that results when you finally know you "might" have enough power.

kevin

LMAO.... Dog gone DR. Mark !!!! I read what Sutton said about 4 hrs. ago. I have an hour drive home from work and the whole time I was thinking about how I was going to describe the difference between the two amps...... I get on here after all that thinking and you have done it for me !!!! I could not have said it better.... Thank you... Im not even bringing the Halfer into this.... lol... It might make a good sub amp someday ! These two amps are so awsome !!!! I did have to back the pre amp off to three on the rear because the PL500 was hitting the red long before the PL 1000 was. Now they are working perfect together.....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I love Dr. Lucitt's original description-----"Sublimely Insane Sound Levels" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin, that new avatar is your amp. Look at the knobs.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
H Kevin, what do the KHorns plans look like? Did you look at the spec books that Lee made for the amp.....before and after....? I realy would like to see them sometime..Curse now, you say your speakers sound like new, so no need to build the KHorns...If I had the extra money to do it, and your help, we'll build them some day..but in the meantime, I know you must be enjoying the new amplification...over 1500 watts of WOPL power.in place of 700 watts of Hafler power...probably no comparison..

I know you changed the flooring in your "mancave" from carpet to hardwood in the middle of the amp transition, and I know that will make a difference, but a big oriental rug on top of the wood will damp it and make it sound much better......if you can stand it to be any better..

kevin

Sutton !! Get your ass down here and listen to this monster man !!!! Yep, I looked at the speaker plans..... I really think we could pull that off. I wish we could get your garage in shape to build a pair of those. About the floor.... Maybe its a good thing that i never had the big amp and carpet at the same time.... I really dont know how bad I've messed up my room. I do plan on putting a real big rug in the center. Lee..... I see that now !!! Thats such a pretty monster !!!!!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Kevin, if you put a big carpet or rug down covering most of the floor you'll be back to where you were. I don't think it's a biggie. Just finding a rug that big, and the cost of the f'er is the main thing.. I know the room was about a perfect listening environment. No echos or sound bouncing around much at all. You can usually tell just by clapping in a room if it will be too "live" or "reflective". Once you get all the furniture back in it, that will help a bunch too..

kevin

speakerman1 said:
Congrats Kevin.

Larry
Thanks a bunch.... I'm like a kid with his first new bike. I'm just thrilled to death with it. Can't wait to get home and turn it on..... lol

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, there are a few of us here that know why you haven't been around much the last coup[le days. Still testing the limits of your hearing-------HUH??

kevin

OK..... Real damn loud !!!!! lol... I got to spend a little time with it yesterday... Played alot of different stuff. It's just unreal how clean and loud it is..... Then you look down there and the meters are not even going half way. So different than anything I've ever had. I've been a music and stereo nut for 35 yrs. I can remember sitting in 7th grade class drawing speakers and stuff to try and show your buddy what you had..... lmao... I said this before but right now I see no reason for ever needing more power... I'm am just thrilled to death with both my PL'S..... O yea... I played it pretty darn hard about all day yesterday and with a fan running on both of them they never missed a beat !!!!