Kevin's "I Want a Phase Linear 700 B White Oaked" thread

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
So, this is the first 700 we can take before and after measurements on. It has been a 5 year mission but we're finally here.

Here's the Sweetie --

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
More pics. This is the one that had a bad power switch. And that's all that was wrong with it. The twin to this one had a burnt BR. 200.00 total in em and the brother in law did a local pickup near Fresno and shipped em to me for nothin. It was one of my better deals.

Tonight will be baseline test night. I haven't taken a totally stock 700 and wrung it out, this one will be.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
AND-----A brand NEW, OFFICIAL, PHASE LINEAR, FACTORY STOCK, power switch. Courtesy of ED BLACKWOOD!!!! Thank You ED!!!!! Ready to join yet??

Anyway, Kevin, as a exercise in futility, try and find one of these on/off switches.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And per Gibsonians request we will finally test a 700 at 4 ohms to settle the age old question " How F%$^$# much will it do into 4"? IF I can round up enough 5 gallon buckets of ice cold water to keep the loads cool.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
A 400 watt 8ohm paralleled with a 380 watt 8 ohm gives me 780 watts at 4.6 ohm..........close 'nuff i suspect.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And 4 - 100watt at 4 ohms, seriesed and paralleled for 400 watts at 4.1 ohms----just in case.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I mean, how often does an opportunity like this come along. We can test this amp to utter destruction, because everything that will blow is getting replaced anyway. Cie-est-la-vie!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Phase shift according to the SPICE model should lead at low frequency, like the top chart.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I don't think it is one of the main PS caps, think rather it is a failing electrolytic on the individual channel.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe, no need to apologize, you're a busy guy, can't hog your attention all the time. So, with the worse low freq response on the one channel along with the AC ripple unique to that channel is evidence of a bad electrolytic on that channel?? I'm guessing C6.