Kenny Nelson's WOPL 400 conversion.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
or a curve tracer if you can lay your hands on one of those.
We used to have a Keithley curve tracer at work - will have to see if we still have it burried away somewhere. I just google'd Keithley and it seems they were bought out by Tektronix.

mlucitt

This might be the first case of MJ21194 failure, no? Makes you wonder if the MJ21196 would have fared any better. Any thoughts as to the outputs frying in relation to the R2L and R2R getting a little too warm? Possibly, the loose meter screws shorted the -75VDC to the case and the weakest link in that path was the floating ground resistor between chassis ground and PS ground?

Just a thought.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Why would a quarter watt resistor go before a fuse?? Had to be the short was there at power up and kept the current below 5 amps but enough to fry the resistor??

NavLinear

I think it means that the weakest link went first in this case. The mains fuse is rated at 5 Amps and the first in the series resistors would go with less than 1 Amp (see Joe's post #149). :downtown:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
What I did not do was test with just the RCA-410's UNDER LOAD. I can find no other source for the anomoly. I'll demount the 4 21194's and check just the drivers next.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe, what would be a good loaded output to test just the drivers. I have gone to 2 watts, just wonder if that's enough....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
When driving the drivers loaded past 2.33 wattts with 128 mv input, bias jumps to 2.564 volts +DC

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I could give you a long procedure Lee but it is probably quicker just to swap out the RCA410s for ones that have not been subjected to any potential abuse.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Lee
With a load on the output, it is expected that the bias will jump if you are measuring across R38. In the case where only the predrivers are loaded into the amp, the predrivers will attempt to drive the load through the 10 ohm R38 and R39. If you are driving an 8 ohm load, whatever you are outputting into the 8 ohm load is reflected in the 10 ohm in the ratio of 10/8ths or 1.25 times the voltage you are seeing on the 8 ohm resistor. It is normal to see the bias jump in this case since you have lost all the current gain of the ouput mains.

Have you checked R40, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 and your favorite R41 to see if they are still intact?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
One pair of 21194's on and took it to 60 watts, clean and green. Second set, coming up. 8 ohms, 402mv input.